Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Pigment Names and Numbers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

Pigment Names and Numbers Empty
PostSubject: Pigment Names and Numbers   Pigment Names and Numbers EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 4:15 pm

Just wanted to share this - Dick Blick has a neat feature on their site for finding out pigment information:

http://www.dickblick.com/items/00494-3063/#colorpigments

Just click the icon next to the item number alongside the paint colors (any brand) and you can see a close up color swatch and read all sorts of info about that particular color. If you like to try different brands of paints, you'll soon notice that the same colors (by name) can be very different in use. It's interesting to see how different paint makers formulate their colors.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Pigment Names and Numbers   Pigment Names and Numbers EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 4:25 pm

Thanks Callie,

I wish there was some standard for naming colors. It is frustrating when I give my acrylic students the name of a color, like permenant sap green, and when they can't get the same brand I have, their color is about 3 or 4 values lighter than mine.

I'm sure this holds true with different brands of WSO's.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Pigment Names and Numbers   Pigment Names and Numbers EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Callie, thank you for the link! That's a good one they have tons of info.

Just in case you're wonderding what the codes mean. Example from the link Callie provided. The Holbein Alizarin Crimson has a Pigment Code of PR83. PR=Pigment Red and the 83 is the number for that specific pigment.

• PB = Pigment Blue
  • PBk = Pigment Black
  • PBr = Pigment Brown
  • PG = Pigment Green
  • PO = Pigment Orange
  • PR = Pigment Red
  • PV = Pigment Violet
  • PW = Pigment White
  • PY = Pigment Yellow

Judy, I know what you mean you can have 2 colors named the same from different brands with the same pigment code but the colors will look different. From what I've read is this is due to the different manufacturing processes.

Note that several colors that look very different and are the same brand can share the same pigment code. Again this is due to the different manufacturing process using the same pigments.

A good example of this would be W&N Cadmium Red Dark, Cadmium Red Light and Cadmium Red Medium. All have the pigment code PR108.

Cadmium Red Dark
    Pigment Names and Numbers 00462_Cad.RedDark-s

Cadmium Red Light
    Pigment Names and Numbers 00462_Cad.RedLight-s

Cadmium Red Medium
    Pigment Names and Numbers 00462_CadmiumRedMedium-s

• Last edited by Janet on Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Back to top Go down
    dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Pigment Names and Numbers   Pigment Names and Numbers EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 11:22 am

I like this site below as a reference for pigment information, mainly since he includes various label names associated with each one as well as other details like lightfastness and oil absorption.
    http://www.artiscreation.com/Color_index_names.html
    Back to top Go down
    Janet
    Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Pigment Names and Numbers   Pigment Names and Numbers EmptyMon Dec 14, 2009 1:19 pm

Great site David with a lot of great information! Thank you for sharing! Smile
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pigment Names and Numbers   Pigment Names and Numbers Empty

Back to top Go down

Pigment Names and Numbers
    Page 1 of 1