Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

New web site

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

New web site Empty
PostSubject: New web site   New web site EmptyWed May 08, 2013 8:49 pm

My wife and I have a new web site. It allows us to show larger and sharper images of our newest paintings.
the URL is http://helenalanspinney.com
Feel free to visit and let me know what you think.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:03 pm

Absolutely lovely website. Did you guys do it yourselves? and what did you use to create them. Please tell Helen that her waves paintings are amazing... Very nice!

Faisal
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:34 pm

Fantastic website, Alan.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site EmptyThu May 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I really like your new site. I especially like Helen's Sea gull on the post. I also like your "right click" restrictions.

I'm a little distracted by your background image though. It wasn't until I clicked on the contact page that I could distinguish it as your hand painting. Even then, It took me a while because of the clear hand and the blurred brush and canvas. You may want to take a look at that as you develop the site more.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site EmptyThu May 09, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks Faisal, Crystal and Judy for your comments. The site started as a prepackaged 'theme' that you can purchase from various sellers. It is a predesigned Wordpress site template that you can customize for your own use. I worked with a web guy to get around some of the limitations it had; he helped me a lot. There are themes that you can purchase for almost any purpose; ours is suited for big photos or paintings of course.

Judy, I know what you mean about the background image. It is so large and blurry that it isn't really evident as to what it is. Especially with text boxes in front of it. We tossed around a few ideas, but did not want to show one painting in detail, partly blocked off. As time goes on, we will be looking at that background image again.

But the site is up and live, so that's a relief. I am still adding information, and paintings, prices and such.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site EmptyThu May 09, 2013 10:30 pm

I actually like the hand with the brush, in the background. I had no problem viewing it either.

Faisal
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site EmptyFri May 10, 2013 9:12 pm

We will probably change the background to be a different photo on each page, but we've found that a slideshow (which is actually possible) is 'too much'. Ours is a site with less, more minimal.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site EmptySat May 11, 2013 5:42 am

Very professional looking, Alan. I didn't really have a problem with the background image either but the previous posts alerted me beforehand so I knew what it was.

There are all kinds of free templates on the web that you can use with free software for modifying the code. A little bit of (x)html and css is needed but actually not as much as you would think. Hey, I'm old school (or maybe just old!) and if I can do it, I'm sure all you youngsters could! lol

Alan, please let me know if you think having a website makes a difference. I'm doing away with my current (pet portraits) site and while I've nearly finished with a more generic one, I'm wondering if it's really worthwhile to have one. I'm thinking a blog might be enough? Since you've got both, I'd like to hear your opinion.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site EmptySat May 11, 2013 8:32 pm

Hi Jan
My wife and I have had a blog for several years, and I really thought it was sufficient. However, I sometimes heard comments from people who wanted to see the paintings larger than my free Wordpress blog would allow. I looked into it, and there was no plugin 'enlarger' feature that I could simply add to my free blog.

That lead me to Facebook, thinking I could maintain a presence there (one again, free) and show larger images. Some people like(d) our painting page, but it still seemed 'bloggy'.

The tipping point for us happened when we looked at starting to actively advertise our work. (more abou that soon) We were advised that we should have our own domain name and site, not a just blog that was hosted on a blog software site.
So, we took the plunge this year, to do both. I looked for a portfolio theme to adapt for us.

It's too soon to tell if a 'real' site will make any difference, but I think it brings us into the 'taken seriously' category, I guess. I hate to say it that way, but this is based on the perceptions I have been subject to.

At this point, the investment is still minimal, and we shall see if it helps us promote our work.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site EmptySun May 19, 2013 6:36 am

I'm looking forward to hearing about your results. I know it's just expected for any business to have a website in this day and age & I'm sure that's where the perception that a serious artist should have one came from.

It's really not that expensive to have a site as long as you develop and maintain it yourself. I've been looking at hosts that charge under $50 a year (including a free domain registration) and since I'm doing the site, that's the total cost. Pretty cheap for a year of online presence as well as a branded email addy.

That being said, I've had a website for many years (probably around 10) and can't attribute any sales directly to the site. Most of my sales are word of mouth with people just going to the site to see my style or to see examples to decide the type of composition they wanted for a pet portrait. I don't think a more generic site will change that as I think most people want to see an actual painting before they buy. So, maybe a website will establish an artist as legitimate which should certainly help but I don't know about actually generating sales by itself.

I've been told that the social media websites are great for making contact with future buyers. I don't do any though as I don't have good vibes about them. But I have online friends who seem to do very well with many sales from them.

Anyway, keep me posted - I have til the end of June to decide something and will probably wait a while longer before committing to a new site.

Lots of luck to you and Helen with your site - I hope it brings in lots of sales and collectors of your work.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New web site Empty
PostSubject: Re: New web site   New web site Empty

Back to top Go down

New web site
Page 1 of 1