Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Life Drawing session Apr 12

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Life Drawing session Apr 12 Empty
PostSubject: Life Drawing session Apr 12   Life Drawing session Apr 12 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Here are several quick paintings that I completed on April 12.
We had a 2 hour life drawing session, so I did many gesture drawings, marker sketches, and then painted.
These paintings are 10 to 20 minutes each. The 2 small ones are 6" x 6" canvas pad, then there are larger canvas pad and one Michael's canvas.

I just included them all, good and not so good, so you can see what I am struggling with: mostly head proportion. Large, small, etc. Ah well. next time better.

Also the light unit I bought at an auto supply shop, and then switched the 500 watt (!!!) halogens for 100 watt halogens.

Life Drawing session Apr 12 Apr12life1450

Life Drawing session Apr 12 Apr12life2450

Life Drawing session Apr 12 Apr12life3450

Life Drawing session Apr 12 Apr12life4450

Life Drawing session Apr 12 Apr12light450
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Life Drawing session Apr 12   Life Drawing session Apr 12 EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:11 pm

Very nice paintings, Alan. I love the sketchy and quick painted look of the painting.

How are these new lights working for you and how much did you pay for them?
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Life Drawing session Apr 12   Life Drawing session Apr 12 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 1:40 pm

I'm really impressed with your figure drawing, Alan.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Life Drawing session Apr 12   Life Drawing session Apr 12 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks for your comments Faisal and Crystal.

The lights have worked out well during the life drawing session. We conduct the drawing session in a company boardroom that has no windows and only overhead fluorescents. Bad, flat light.

Last year I had assembled a very basic light unit from an tall light stand, with 2 flex arm desk lamps. I should have photographed it, it was very strange. 2 desk lamps extended out from a stand, secured with zip ties and duct tape. It was okay and 'free', until one day it broke and fell.

The new lamp unit cost $30 plus 2 $6 bulbs. It is sturdier, and still 'artsy' due to its 'auto repair' aura of industrial plus yellow.
It provides good lighting, not too bright on the model, and is adjustable.

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Life Drawing session Apr 12   Life Drawing session Apr 12 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 9:24 pm

Do you have like a group session for your artist friends to paint? How does it work?

Thanks for the info. I think it is reasonably priced. I am going to get the light myself.

Thanks

Faisal
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Life Drawing session Apr 12   Life Drawing session Apr 12 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2013 8:37 pm

Without going into too much specific detail on a public forum, I organize a life drawing session for a group of artists.
We hire local models, and draw for a couple of hours. I reached out to a nearby learning institution that offers art classes, so I could work with the same models. It has been great for me to be able to draw,paint, and offer this session from time to time.
The idea is transferable: all it takes is a group of interested artists, and a few models who can take direction (best if they have done life modeling before, but some people are very quick to learn.)
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Life Drawing session Apr 12   Life Drawing session Apr 12 EmptySat Apr 20, 2013 4:25 pm

Very cool... Alan... Smile
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Life Drawing session Apr 12   Life Drawing session Apr 12 EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:26 am

Nice, Alan and especially so since you're able to organize the life drawing sessions. It must be nice to be able to have models available.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Life Drawing session Apr 12   Life Drawing session Apr 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

Life Drawing session Apr 12
Page 1 of 1