Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts Empty
PostSubject: 53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts   53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts EmptySun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Here is an egg cup full of acorn nuts that I found while walking in the evening.

Shiny White objects are probably one of the most difficult to paint. I think painting objects like this will definitely improve ones ability at handling the brushes,... from bold, delicate to very delicate touch,... keeping the brush clean... I have found colored objects to be forgiving, but not white... a polluted brush will ruin things... holly cow...

All constructive criticism are welcome... (Tell me how I can make this a painting better) Smile

Size:- 5"x7" (on Canvas)

Time:- 4hours

53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts Cup-o-10
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: 53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts   53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 am

I think you did a wonderful job with this. I've tried painting white objects and haven't got it down yet. I think the only thing that might make it better would be to paint a few layers of white, so that the canvas weave doesn't show through and it would look more glossy. Or maybe just a heavy layer of white, since you paint alla prima. Great job anyway!
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: 53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts   53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm

I think this has great potential!

One thing I've found when painting white objects (learned in other mediums) is to not use any pure white until the highlights. Often, a pale yellow-white works well or a very light blue-white. If you save pure white for the highlights, they will show up more. Also, I would think your background would reflect onto your cup so that some of that bluish color would show on your cup. "White" is never really white but is composed of many colors reflected from things around your white object.

Does your cup have indented areas in the bowl part? Your shading indicates that it does but I've never seen an egg cup that had them so was curious.

This is subjective and minor but, in my opinion, the acorns are a little too fuzzy so that you can't tell what they are. It makes me concentrate on them trying to figure them out instead of my eye moving around the painting. Maybe a single acorn with its little cap could lie on the table to add to the composition.

I think your background is great - those colors work well together and looks very old-world.

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: 53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts   53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Faisal, I agree with Jan about seeing the acorns. They are partly hidden in the cup, and their shapes are a bit indistinct. Perhaps you could 'cheat' them higher so we see more of the nuts?
Also I also agree that seeing some of the brown of the background on the cup would help it 'belong' in the scene more.
But having said all that, I really like it!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: 53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts   53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 10:10 pm

I agree that white in never fully white. Some of those beautiful colors in the upper background would add so much life to the painting.

Judy
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: 53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts   53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Thank you all, for taking the time and providing your valuable feedback... I truly, truly appreciate it... Smile.

Believe it or not I have used greys, all over... It is the photograph that did not come out good. The background was all black... I changed it to purple... while struggling to get the cup to look good. But I was not going to give up...

Now here is a question for everybody, how do you photograph painting of a white object... I had to wrestle to get the picture look anything close to the painting... the only true white are the two dots you see at the bottom... however I admit the blending requires some work...

Now I am going to go after shiny white objects for a while... Smile and please keep providing your feedback (no holding back). So get prepared to see a few white cups and objects... Moo,...ha ha ha... Smile.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: 53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts   53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 6:40 pm

I either scan or photograph my work and usually always end up tweaking the work in either Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop Elements. It's a difficult process at times!

We ought to have a challenge to paint white objects - I know I have a lot to learn about them! Please pass on any tips you stumble upon as I know I could use them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts   53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts Empty

Back to top Go down

53rd Painting: Cup O' nuts
Page 1 of 1