Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

paint is sticky no matter what I use

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
cactikid

Location Location : Las Vegas, NV

paint is sticky no matter what I use Empty
PostSubject: paint is sticky no matter what I use   paint is sticky no matter what I use EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm struggling with this new type of paint. I've tried using the w&n thinner to put on an underlayer of paint. The consistency is either too thin and doesn't cover the canvas, or too stick to spread. I tried a combination of the thinner and fast dry medium, but it still doesn't flow properly. I even added a bit more linseed oil to the mixture with not a good result. I need help because I'm about to chuck these paints in the bin. I'm using winson newton water soluble paints with their mediums.

Is there a secret formula I should be using? Everyone seems to be raving about these new paints, but right now I don't see it.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: paint is sticky no matter what I use   paint is sticky no matter what I use EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 7:34 pm

cactikid, I usually squeeze a puddle of paint out of the tube, and then add a bit of thinner. Not a lot, just enough to get the paint to be runny. Then 'paint' it on the canvas. If it runs down the canvas, it is probably too thin, or needs to be spread with a bigger brush. I add a LITTLE bit of medium, not fast drying medium. That helps it stay 'oily' and not break up.
Does this help?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: paint is sticky no matter what I use   paint is sticky no matter what I use EmptySat Dec 15, 2012 9:33 pm

It helps to just put a thin film of walnut oil on the dry canvas so the paint spreads more easily. There should be no puddling of the film of oil. If there is just wipe it lightly with a paper towel. Then start applying paint right out of the tube. If it needs to be a little thinner, do like Alan suggested: put a puddle of paint on the palette and then dip the tip of your brush into a little thinner and gradually add thinner until you get the consistency you want.

Let us know how that works for you. By the way, the W/N paints are the only ones I experienced tackiness with. Holbein Duos, and Cobras were great. What I suggested above eliminated the problem with the W/N's.

Let us know how you do.

Judy
Back to top Go down
cactikid

PostSubject: Re: paint is sticky no matter what I use   paint is sticky no matter what I use EmptySun Dec 16, 2012 3:43 am

Thanks guys, I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: paint is sticky no matter what I use   paint is sticky no matter what I use EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 6:15 pm

Hello,

Judy and Alan pretty much captured what should be done.

I personally have tried Winsor Newton and HATED IT... it truly sucks, especially for someone who does Alla Prima work and is new to the medium. I would STRONGLY recommend HOLBEIN DUO to new comers. It does not get tacky at all with water. I have used Artisan and MAX. Artisan was a disppointment for me, MAX was better but Holbein was the best. (However, as you get experienced like Judy and Alan, you can start playing with other brands, but there is no reason that a new comer should subject themselves to experimenting with this kind of torture).

As far as using a medium, I would recommend any, really, just make sure to put just a teeny tiny to get the paint to flow, (just a drop from a tooth pick) the earth colors like (the Sienna's and the Umber's) are a little stiffer and may need a little more. But don't pour too much.

Also, if you are new paint on a canvas first (something with a fine weave). You can get pads that you can tear off the sheet of canvas and cut it up and tape it to a board.

Use limited palette, as it will be cheaper for you. 3 primaries, One earth tone and white would do wonders.

BUY HOLBEIN DUO... TRY IT AND SEE... Smile

Take Care

Faisal
Back to top Go down
cactikid

PostSubject: Re: paint is sticky no matter what I use   paint is sticky no matter what I use EmptySun Dec 30, 2012 4:48 pm

I finally got some walnut oil and using the toothpick method suggested by Faisal it seems to help in getting the paints to flow. Also, the tip of applying a bit of the walnut oil onto the canvas seems to help as well. I also find that the walnut oil doesn't seem to take as long to dry. Is it my imagination? I'll keep plugging away for a while.

I've invested a lot of money in the WN paints, but as I run out, I will substitute the Holbein Duo to see how they work.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: paint is sticky no matter what I use   paint is sticky no matter what I use EmptyMon Dec 31, 2012 8:01 pm

Glad all the tips have helped. Have fun painting and be sure to show us some of your accomplishments.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: paint is sticky no matter what I use   paint is sticky no matter what I use Empty

Back to top Go down

paint is sticky no matter what I use
Page 1 of 1