Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Three on the Beach

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Three on the Beach Empty
PostSubject: Three on the Beach   Three on the Beach EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:04 pm

Three on the Beach 3beach_MG_0408web

6" x 6" Cobra paints. Mixed from a very simple palette of (sorry, don't have the tubes here, so generically: ) Titanium White, Yellow, Red, Blue, Raw Umber.
On canvas, still drying.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Three on the Beach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three on the Beach   Three on the Beach EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:11 am

You always do so well with people. I like it. It is fun using a small pallet of colors. It makes you pay attention more to how you mix colors to accomplish what you want.
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

Three on the Beach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three on the Beach   Three on the Beach EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Yes, and I think a smaller palette gives you more harmony in a painting. Nice job WMGuy!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Three on the Beach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three on the Beach   Three on the Beach EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 8:04 pm

Thanks for the comments. The people are a little fuzzy, which is another new thing for me. I was looking for something atmospheric, so this is a good first step in that direction. I did not want to paint tiny eyes and noses and so on, ha ha.
I had a look at the paint tubes today, and they are Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Med, Cadmium Red Med, Ultramarine and Raw Umber. And I am surprised that these colours seem to be a good basis for so many other colours. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

Three on the Beach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three on the Beach   Three on the Beach EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 3:12 pm

I like it... it almost looks like watercolor, quite interesting.

Did you do this from imagination/photograph or a sketch book...

Keep up the good work...
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Three on the Beach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three on the Beach   Three on the Beach EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:46 pm

Thanks Faisal. I agree, this one does look like watercolour. It is strange that way. I worked wet on wet, a technique that I have such a tough time with. I wanted a misty, soft look, and as a result, it is perhaps very fuzzy, all except the man's belt, ha ha. Oh, and the seagull that is popping up on the right side near him.
This is from a photo I took one evening at the beach. The figures were very dark, backlit, and quite small in the original picture. I lightened it a lot in Photoshop to get some definition on the people, and printed both the silhouette and the lighter version too. I preferred the lighter one. Then kind of roughed it in with paint.
The fun part was trying to capture those washed out pale colours with just the 5 Cobra tubes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Three on the Beach Empty
PostSubject: Re: Three on the Beach   Three on the Beach Empty

Back to top Go down

Three on the Beach
Page 1 of 1