Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Starting a Pocahde box

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

Starting a Pocahde box Empty
PostSubject: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 2:49 pm

Hi All:

I recently went to our local Cigar shop in Dallas and purchased a bunch of cigar boxes. Man these boxes are nice, at least the wood part, the hinges etc will have to be replaced with something sturdier. I am planning to convert one of these into Plein Air Pochade box. They were so cheap $1/box,... what a steal Very Happy . I am thinking I can make a fantastic and sturdy box for $20.00, for us Water Soluble Oil artists. I have a very small commercially made pochade and it cost me $80.00 (ouch!). I will post the final result with instructions for my fellow artists when I am done. (off course I give credit to other warriors who have built their own Pochade box and posted on the internet, for the rest of us to copy and enhance).

Take Care

Starting a Pocahde box Potent10
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:06 pm

sounds like a fun project. good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 4:54 pm

Sure thing. I hope this effort will help save some $$$$... Smile
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box EmptyThu Mar 22, 2012 4:31 pm

I can't wait to see how it comes out. great idea.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi All:

I have made 2 pochade boxes. Here are the images of one of them. I will be putting up the detailed construction instructions on my blog, till then if someone has any questions I can answer them on this forum. I spent around $15 on this pochade box. Smile. It is sturdy and I am quite pleased with it. (Didn't care too much about the finish as it will get paint all over it anyway, so why bother).

This is the 3/4 front view (mounted on a tripod). I have cut a slit in the lid of the cigar box and put a long piece of rectangular wood that slides up and down with the help of a screw, that goes through it. The piece of wood holds the canvas/panel in its place. The Screw has a wing nut in the back of the lid, as shown in the next figure for tightening and keeping the canvas/panel in its place.
Starting a Pocahde box Front10

This is the back showing the wing nut that holds the long piece of wood.
Starting a Pocahde box Back10

This is the side of the box, showing the mechanism to hold the box lid up. I modified a door slider and put a screw on one end (top in the figure) with a wing nut and the other end (bottom in the figure) just has a screw with the head of the screw cut-off. In other words the door slider can be totally removed from the setup.
Starting a Pocahde box Side10

This is the bottom. I put in a T-Nut into a piece of wood and then glued the wood using Gorilla Glue and stuck it to the bottom of the box. The Tripod mount screw connects over here.
Starting a Pocahde box Bottom10

Good luck...

F Tariq
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 10:44 am

Very well done. It looks nice and compact for getting out in the field. I know you always work on small paintings. I was wondering what the largest size canvas you can use.
Judy
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 am

Thanks Judy:

I have made 2 of these, since I had the parts. One of them can take a panel of size 7 x 8 inches and the other can take 8 x 9 inches. I have to take them for a test drive this weekend.

I think I need a watercolor pochade too. That will be way different since it has to be a flat surface. Come to think of it, it will just be a flat surface with a T-Nut at the bottom.

Thanks

F Tariq
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box EmptyWed May 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Wow, very nice work. With lots of space for paints!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box EmptyWed May 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Thanks Alan... Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Starting a Pocahde box   Starting a Pocahde box Empty

Back to top Go down

Starting a Pocahde box
Page 1 of 1