Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help me learn Holbein duos

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
pollypainter

Help me learn Holbein duos Empty
PostSubject: Help me learn Holbein duos   Help me learn Holbein duos EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am

I am a pretty ignorant beginner with Holbein water miscible oils and could use some advice. First, how much linseed or walnut oil can I use? I like the Holbein texture for some work, but find myself wanting to thin it down to make it flow or to blend it in some cases. How far can I go? What about a glaze? Is a glaze a lot of oil to a little paint? So far I have been trying to use the Holbein products, so as not to confuse myself. Also trying to avoid water. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Help me learn Holbein duos   Help me learn Holbein duos EmptyMon Jan 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Hi Polly,

Here's a link to descriptions about Holbein mediums which may answer some of your questions.

http://www.dickblick.com/products/holbein-duo-aqua-oil-painting-mediums/#description

I notice they do not have any thinner, but say you can use water. I prefer to use W/N WS Oils Thinner also available at Blick for thinning under paintings(leaner). I've used it with Holbeins without a problem and like it much better than water.

Here is another link within this forum about glazing and demonstrating it which also may be helpful to you.

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t654-paint-thinner-and-glazing-techniques?highlight=glazing

As far as how much oil to add for more fluid upper layers(fatter), I just the tip of a brush into the oil and mix it into the color and keep repeating this until I have the consistency I want. I'm sure others in the forum with have more info for you.
Back to top Go down
dbclemons

Location Location : Texas

PostSubject: Re: Help me learn Holbein duos   Help me learn Holbein duos EmptyTue Jan 10, 2012 12:21 pm

pollypainter wrote:
...but find myself wanting to thin it down to make it flow or to blend it in some cases. How far can I go?

It's generally not advised to thin or dilute your paint too much. If you add a great deal of extra medium it will take much longer to dry than necessary. Adding no more than 10 to 20% medium by volume is a good range to limit yourself to. Some mediums are better suited to blending and leveling into a smooth surface than others; stand oil or "painting" mediums, for example.

Quote :
What about a glaze? Is a glaze a lot of oil to a little paint?...

A glaze is a transparent layer of paint that shows some of the color beneath it. You don't necessarily need more oil to create a glaze, but that's one way to do it. A glaze can be made of paint that uses more transparent pigment (Hansa yellow instead of cadmium, for example.) You can also rub or wipe ("scumble") a layer of paint on making it thin but not diluted.

If you want that glaze layer to be more fluid then you'll need to add a medium. It's not advised to make a glaze from paint that has only been diluted using water or thinner since that makes a weaker and less flexible layer (fat over lean.) Some brands and paints within brands are oilier than others, which makes them better suited for glazing. You might also try safflower for glazing instead of linseed, or using thinned polymerized oil (stand,) or pre-mixed "painting" or "glazing" mediums.

By the way, I also prefer not to use the painting brush to mix paint on the palette since it tends to create a poor uneven mix of medium and paint, and it's harder to gauge how much medium you're adding. Use a palette knife instead and save the brush for applying paint.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Help me learn Holbein duos   Help me learn Holbein duos EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 2:31 pm

Hello Polly:

I have felt one of my biggest issues was tacky paint. This was a pain in the neck for me. When you wash your brush then you must dip your brush in linseed or walnut or stand oil and wipe it clean, before dipping your brush in the paint again.

Also use the thinner made by the manufacturers to thin rather than water. For me water is just convenient brush cleaner, when I have to change color during painting and off course that means no solvents/cleaners.

If you are totally new to painting, I would recommend you to use limited palette. start out with ultramarine blue, burnt sienna and titanium white and paint one still life object that has dramatic light to create dramatic darks and lights.

I use a painting knife to blend, it is easier to wipe the knife with a paper towel.

I am pretty new to wet-media myself, but I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Keep pushing and soon you will have wonderful painting. Remmember you have to experiment and try.

M Ghalib
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me learn Holbein duos   Help me learn Holbein duos Empty

Back to top Go down

Help me learn Holbein duos
Page 1 of 1