Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General chat 2012

Go down 
+3
ftariqtx
Crystal1
judyfilarecki
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

General chat 2012 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General chat 2012   General chat 2012 - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 9:49 pm

The second workshop, two weeks later, was a continuation of the same approach, with a new image. This one was a bottle with a bowl containing a pear. Once again, we watched as she produced remarkable sharp edges in wet paint, then used the fan brush and other brushes to blend edges in the day's wet paint.

We set out to 'ape' what she was doing. This was valuable practise, as it it easier to learn the new skills when you actually do the work yourself. Once again, the time was too short to get anything 'finished' as a result, but I am quite pleased at seeing a fine painter at work, and to try those techniques of blending colour and edges in my own practise.

Here are a couple of images of my first still life practise painting, first coat, done on Frederik canvas board.
Some edges blended, some still sharp, painting foreground unfinished.

General chat 2012 - Page 3 Pearworksh400sm

General chat 2012 - Page 3 Pearworkshdet400sm
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: General chat 2012   General chat 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Wow! Really like the soft edges on these. Looks like a great teacher. Congratulations!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: General chat 2012   General chat 2012 - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 9:54 pm

Looks like a good start. Especially the pear, You should complete it. I think it will come out looking fantastic.

How did your instructor prepare her colors (i.e. medium etc) and her painting surface?
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: General chat 2012   General chat 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:14 pm

The instructor did not use any medium, she just mixed her Artisan colours from the tube colours as is. (no thinner, no medium, just paint mixed on the palette) However, she does add a bit of medium to her second and subsequent layers.

Her surface for her painting demos were the Frederik canvas boards, those thin cheap surfaces. She normally works on prepared wood, not canvas. She applies white house paint to the wood (commercially prepared wood with gallery depth sides, not sure how else to describe them... basically gallery canvases in wood instead of canvas if that helps) to seal it, then a couple of coats of gesso. She likes the surface to be ultra smooth.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: General chat 2012   General chat 2012 - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Ah!... I am always looking for different ways to prepare and apply paint. I am still looking for the ideal recipe... Smile

Thanks for sharing Alan.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General chat 2012   General chat 2012 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

General chat 2012
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3