Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

vegan painting

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
new to oils

vegan painting Empty
PostSubject: vegan painting   vegan painting EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 9:05 pm

I have checked out vegan painting online, and I emailed many companies asking questions, here is what I got for whoever else is interested in vegan painting too.

(Which basically means that none of the products you use have been tested on animals, or have any animal ingredient in them. because usually, animals are killed specifically for that purpose. And as much as I love art, I don't think it's that important to kill animals for it. Especially, when so many great synthetics are available)

Sap green and hookers green usually have animal pigment used in them. Ivory black and sometimes other blacks do too.

The company LUKAS uses animal in almost EVERYTHING! I asked for a list of products including animal in them, and they listed almost the entire range in every line they have. So note, I will never buy from them...

Winsor and Newton and Golden both have lists on their website, of things including animal in them. If you can't find the list, a simple email to them and they send it to you.

Most companies care about the animals. At M. Graham, I believe all the colours or products that contain animal are sap, and hooker's green, and ivory black. But you can double check that.

Golden does not test on animals. But be warned that their beautiful Prussian Blue Hue does have animal in it. So do very few other hues they have, almost none really. Same goes for Winsor and Newton, but like I said, look for the list.

If you're an animal lover, save animals, and money by never buying water colour, at least not artist's grade, most of which in almost every single company is made by killing animals specifically for the purpose.

Don't get me wrong, but as pretty as water colour is, I don't think it is worth killing animal for it. Especially, when you can get the same results, with diluted acrylics.

Rabbit skin glue is an obvious no in vegan painting. And luckily, nowadays, most gessos on the market and virtually all mediums do not contain any animal. When in the past, there used to be gelatin.

And of course, any natural hair brush, means the animal was killed for it. It is so sad...

Luckily, many companies are more and more going toward synthetic products. And more and more are available.

If anyone has anymore info please post!

P.S. I have the sheets right here actually! So no need for you to check these companies!

here is one:

Golden: ANIMAL TESTING
Printer-Friendly VersionPrinter Friendly Version
Do GOLDEN products contain animal ingredients?

Generally not. However, Bone Black pigment IS made from carbonized cattle bones. The following products contain Bone Black pigment:

0010100 Bone Black
0011950 Jenkins Green
0014420 Neutral Gray 2
0014430 Neutral Gray 3
0014440 Neutral Gray 4
0014450 Neutral Gray 5
0014460 Neutral Gray 6
0014470 Neutral Gray 7
0014480 Neutral Gray 8
0014600 Prussian Blue Hue
0014680 Terre Verte Hue
0020100 FLUID Bone Black
0021950 FLUID Jenkins Green
0024390 FLUID Prussian Blue Hue
0026950 MATTE FLUID Jenkins Green
0050100 MATTE Bone Black
0051950 MATTE Jenkins Green
0060100 HLA Bone Black
0070100 OPEN Bone Black
0071950 OPEN Jenkins Green
0087190 GLAZE COLOR - Seafoam Green
0087200 GLAZE COLOR - Hunter Green
0087620 GLAZE COLOR - Ivory Black

Does Golden test on animals?

No, we don't test our products on animals. However many of the raw materials we use have been tested on animals. This is because regulations require that the potential toxicity of chemical substances be determined in order to help safeguard consumers and the environment. The good news is that Europe is leading the world in requiring that companies make such data available to everyone in order to prevent the need for duplicate testing. Because we operate in the global marketplace, our supply chain is positively impacted by this change and we support this philosophy as compared to historical practices.
© Golden Artist Colors, Inc.

Here is 2:

Winsor and Newton

Materials as containing animal derived ingredients are listed below. Materials not listed contain do not contain components from animal sources. This list relates to current materials; check labels for pigments as formulations may have changed.

Artists’ Water Colour
All colours

Cotman Water Colour
Viridian Hue, Raw Umber, Ivory Black

Artists’ Oil Colour
Carmine (genuine, discontinued), Ivory Black

Artists’ Oilbar
Ivory Black, Payne’s Gray

Winton Oil Colour
Ivory Black, Raw Umber

Artists’ Acrylic

Galeria Flow Formula Acrylic Colour

Griffin Alkyd Fast Drying Oil Colour
Ivory Black

Artisan Water Mixable Oil Colour
Ivory Black

Designers’ Gouache
Ivory Black, Raw Sienna, Winsor Green, Spectrum Yellow, Intense Blue, Sky Blue, Prussian Blue, Linden Green, Ivory Black, Flame Red, Burnt Umber, Bengal Rose, Primary Blue, Lamp Black, Spectrum Violet

Water Colour Mediums
Ox Gall, Lifting Preparation

The following brushes –
Series 7, Series 7 Miniature, Artists’ Water Colour Brushes, Artists’ Oil Colour Brushes, Eclipse Brushes, Pure Squirrel Pointed Wash Brushes (Series 250), Pony & Goat Hair Mop Brushes (Series 340), Goat Hair Mop Brushes (Series 140 & 240), Sceptre Gold II, Lexington II, Winton Hog, Azanta Hog, Soft Hair & Blends (Series 136, Series 295, Series 136), Series 456 & 432 Varnish brushes, Bamboo Brushes (Series 150), Hake Brushes

Water colour papers
Artists’ Water Colour Paper, Cotman Water Colour Paper

Here is 3:

Mr. Graham

We are big animal lovers...6 cats. But some animal products are necessary. Avoid the watercolor and Ivory Black, Paynes Gray, Sap Green and Hookers Green in all lines.

**** That email was from Diana Graham.I also found out from her that there are no animal in their acrylic mediums.

These are all I got. Blick doesn't use any in their acrylics, mediums, and gessos as well. But I didn't ask about oils.

Most companies are very informative. Just send an email asking what products they have have animal in them, or have been tested on any.

Hope I was helpful!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

vegan painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: vegan painting   vegan painting EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks for all the info. It is well worth taking a look at.
Back to top Go down
new to oils

vegan painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: vegan painting   vegan painting EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Hi Judy! Your welcome!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
new to oils

vegan painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: vegan painting   vegan painting EmptyThu Dec 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Hello all,

I would like to point out that it has been brought to my attention that what some vegans consider wrong is different than others. And depending on what kind of vegan you are, or what is critical to you, those are the things you should ask the company directly.

For example, I had a problem with gelatin being in products, so I asked companies directly. I also asked which pigments have animal that was killed for the purpose of making the pigment.

The information I posted on here is supposed to be a basic eye opener. And all the lists are from the companies directly.

But please do research yourself about what is critical to you and to find more facts. For my personal satisfaction, all I needed to know was that animal was in the product, and that's enough. I won't use it. However some people have different perspective, or want more details.

For some people, for example it is not a bad thing to own genuine leather, considering cows are killed for meat anyway. And some people will feel the same way about hog brushes, knowing the hogs are killed for meat and the hair just gets sent to brush makers.

I don't like using anything with animal in it, and that's how I feel so that's what I researched for. And thought it might be nice to post my discoveries. Smile

But I highly encourage you to do more research. Look about things specifically, and to look deeper into the subject.

Please post anything anything you come up with!!! I will be delighted to know more myself, and I am sure it will be helpful to others! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

vegan painting Empty
PostSubject: Re: vegan painting   vegan painting Empty

Back to top Go down

vegan painting
Page 1 of 1