Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I've hit a wall :(

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
katmanuel

katmanuel

Location Location : Essex, UK

I've hit a wall :( Empty
PostSubject: I've hit a wall :(   I've hit a wall :( EmptyTue May 03, 2011 2:07 pm

I am in the middle of a painting and am having great difficulty with one area. Its a camoflage patterned hat. It has a lot of light and shadow on it...but I just don't know where to start?! I don't want to make it look too detailed, as it won't fit with the style of the rest of the painting. However I don't just want it to be a blur of browns, which is what it is at the moment. Does anyone have any tips on painting patterned fabrics? Thankyou all. If you need some pictures I will put them up.

Mad
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: I've hit a wall :(   I've hit a wall :( EmptyWed May 04, 2011 8:09 am

Hi katmanuel;
A photo would help. My first thought would be to mimic the look of the light on the hat, paying attention to light and dark values. Once those look right, squint and see the general look of the pattern: swirls, blobs, squares, whatever it is. That should help.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: I've hit a wall :(   I've hit a wall :( EmptyWed May 04, 2011 9:51 am

Hi Katmanuel,

A picture would be helpful. Definitely a difficult thing to paint.

One thing you need to establish is the light source. If it is full sun, the browns would have warm components of yellows, oranges and reds. The shadows would be the same hues but grayed down and the shadow edges would be sharp. If it is a partially overcast day, the browns would tend to be cooler with more blue and white in them. The shadows would have softer edges.

It might help to paint the entire camouflage area in the browns appropriate to the light and then glaze over shadow areas with the appropriate pigment to create the shadows once the paint is completely dry. Doing it this way will keep the hues the same in the light and shadow, but change the values while maintaining color harmony.
Back to top Go down
katmanuel

katmanuel

PostSubject: Re: I've hit a wall :(   I've hit a wall :( EmptyThu May 05, 2011 2:47 pm

I've hit a wall :( Img_0710

This is the original, sorry its a bit dark

I've hit a wall :( Crop10

and this is my attempt which I keep scrubbing out, so is now a bit of a mess!
Back to top Go down
katmanuel

katmanuel

PostSubject: Re: I've hit a wall :(   I've hit a wall :( EmptyThu May 05, 2011 2:48 pm

I also forgot to mention, thankyou both for your replies, it's so helpful as I have never really tackled patterned fabric before. I appreciate all your help Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: I've hit a wall :(   I've hit a wall :( EmptyThu May 05, 2011 3:52 pm

It turned out really great. The camouflage is well done so that it does not take away from the intense focus of the surgeon. It does give a sense of urgency making you feel that the surgery is being performed in a critical area such as a war zone. The addition of the other surgeon and the hand just add to the drama. Well done.

Judy
Back to top Go down
katmanuel

katmanuel

PostSubject: Re: I've hit a wall :(   I've hit a wall :( EmptyThu May 05, 2011 5:20 pm

Judy, thankyou for your comment. It's actually part of a larger painting and I am currently waiting for his cap to dry before I change it!! Maybe I'm far too hard on myself...but I'm not happy with it at all! I will have another go at it in a few days and post it.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: I've hit a wall :(   I've hit a wall :( EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:54 am

Nice work on the scene! I think the cap looks very good already. But since you seem to be changing it (?) you could consider adding more definition to the creaselines where it folds on his head. But the camo looks very good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I've hit a wall :(   I've hit a wall :( Empty

Back to top Go down

I've hit a wall :(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Painting Discussions :: Talk about Art & Painting-
Jump to: