Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Meenans Cove Scene WIP

Go down 
+2
Sofie
Dale
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Meenans Cove Scene WIP Empty
PostSubject: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 8:52 pm

I know I haven't posted in a while. But I have been busy painting. This one is on 16 x 12 canvas and is getting close to completion. I want to do justice to the lights reflected on the boats from the water and to add some nice grasses in the foreground to replace theones I lost when fixing the earth color. I have a bit of work to do on the limbs of the tree and some reflected light in the tree shadows.

Would love to have your feedback

[img]Meenans Cove Scene WIP Meenan10[/img]
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:42 pm

Very soft and mellow scene - a dreamy feel.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyFri Apr 01, 2011 9:47 pm

Very good feeling of depth with the contrast of the distant landscape and the detail of the area of focus.

Judy
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 4:11 am

Even though there are no figures in it, it still tells a story. I like it a lot
Jack
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks. it is funny but now that I look at it on the screen I see a flaw. The tip of the reflection of the right tree is at the same level as the boats and it throws off the distance. That tree should have a bit more sharpness so that the trees beyond are father back - like another plane.
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 10:46 am

Reflections are funny. Angle-wise relative to the viewer it looks to be correct. However, you may be right; it might improve the feeling of distance to shorten the reflection a tad. Guess this is why they give us artists licenses. This is a nice painting - lots of melodic lines Very Happy.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 11:02 am

Ah melodic. What a great term Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 11:11 am

I was going to comment about the tree, but I thought you said you had more work on it. The level of sharpness of the foliage below it and the more forward branches should be the similar. The whole concept we have been learning about hard and soft and lost and found edges in trees and consideration of eye level sharpness is really a challenge. I'll be anxious to see how you succeed with it. I've not accomplished too well yet.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:30 pm

Your work just seems to get better and better Dale. I think this is one of my favorites.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptySun Apr 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Dale,
Did you catch the recommendation from Johannes today about not putting in reflection for the distant trees? I'm not sure if I am comfortable with that. How about you?
Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:16 pm

I did note that and not sure I agree. I can see how it may work to leave it out in some compositions but I think you have to judge on a case by case basis.

I am trying to finish this up tonight. I have created some hard edges in the tree at eye level.

I had a big oops moment. I turned the painting upside down and realized how unbalanced it is on the left side.
[img]Meenans Cove Scene WIP Meenan11[/img]
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 5:44 pm

The tree looks much better even upside down. I turned the netbook upside down to view the painting right-side up. It does not feel unbalance when viewed that way. I agree with you on the reflections. It would definitely take away from this painting without them. I like the whole painting and am envious about how you do water...it always looks so real. Nice work.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks Judy. If I could paint only one thing it would be water. I am getting this ready to put in a local art show on Mother's Day as well as Fuller falls and the Fundy seaashore painting. keeping my fingers crossed that I sell something
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 7:46 pm

Good Luck. They are both very well done.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 9:19 pm

I agree on the reflections; in this case it certainly would detract from the picture to leave out those in the background.   Your paintings will be a definite attraction at the show.   I hope they hang them together, or at least in visual proximity.   Good luck from here too.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:12 am

thanks everyone. I won't have any say on where they hang the artwork. It is a local private school that hosts a fundraiser each year and is well attended.

I worked quite a bit on this last night and will post later. I have Margaret Kessler's booko on painting better landscapes and she has all sorts of self-critiques in it that are great. So tonight - I will be critiquing the painting and change what needs to be changed.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyThu Apr 07, 2011 11:58 am

Dale, If you would like to recommend this book, there is now a place you can do it so it can be easily found.

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/f50-recommended-reading-and-viewing

Alan suggested we develop this topic and I think it was a good idea.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP EmptyFri Apr 08, 2011 1:43 pm

A really beautiful painting. I think you'll do really well at the Mother's Day show.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meenans Cove Scene WIP   Meenans Cove Scene WIP Empty

Back to top Go down

Meenans Cove Scene WIP
Page 1 of 1