Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mom in her early twenties

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Linus

Mom in her early twenties Empty
PostSubject: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Mom in her early twenties Mom_fr10

Never tried this before. This is supposed to be my Mom, from a photo 60 yrs old. It looks a little like her but I'm more interested in helpful hints. Keep in mind that I am legally color blind. All was done with W/S oils, but I used acrylic flake white in mixing. I'm finding W/S oils dry pretty quickly.
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 4:02 pm

P.S. Someone kindly gave me a discontinued Lexmark 5250 scanner. I just set it on " Photo " at 300 Dpi. The image really is an excellent copy of the actual painting. I am very happy with my new toy!!!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties EmptyMon Mar 07, 2011 5:22 pm

What a beautiful lady. You have captured the warmth and liveliness in her eyes and smile. They are very expressive. The scanner worked perfectly in capturing you colors.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 1:38 pm

Lovely painting! One thing a noticed is the color of her ear. I think I'd add some red. Smile
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Mom in her early twenties Mom_ag10
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 8:57 pm

Once again, you have painted a very beautiful woman. Her skin is so smooth and her eyes and facial structure are exquisite. In both paintings, there is only one thing that bothers me and that is the broadness of her shoulders. I had the same problem when I did a portrait of my Dad from a photo taken a week before he passed away at 85. I ended up feathering the shirt to draw more attention to his face. I just took this picture to show you. Forgive the tip of the picture. It is pastel under glass and I took the photo standing off to the side to minimize my reflection. I just noticed that even feathering it, I made his left shoulder longer than his right.

Mom in her early twenties Dad_1910

Hope this helps.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:11 pm

That is an excellent pastel Judy, I really like it. You are right, the left shoulder is a problem. I will probably do another one one of these days. I liked the over all result, though there isn't much of a likeness! Guess I should be satisfied that it looks human!!
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:17 pm

Janet, I took some red out by mixing in a little cerulean!! But you may be right. I am legally color blind so I see colors differently than you and normal folks. But tell me how the over all coloring is. Do the colors look good ( except the need for red) overall?
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 11:21 pm

Judy, it is an expense but they do have some special glass used to cover art work that prevents the reflection of light. I have it on one picture and it is great but it was some thing I picked up at a thrift shop, so I only gave a couple of dollars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mom in her early twenties   Mom in her early twenties Empty

Back to top Go down

Mom in her early twenties
Page 1 of 1