Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What to do with edges of a stretched canvas

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Song Dog

Song Dog

Location Location : Dublin, Ohio USA

What to do with edges of a stretched canvas Empty
PostSubject: What to do with edges of a stretched canvas   What to do with edges of a stretched canvas EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 8:26 am

Hi all,

I just purchased a floater frame from Blick for a 16x20 finished painting on stretched canvas and wondered what most people do with the white edges of the canvas. Once inside the floater frame, the edges are mostly hidden, but some of the white still shows. Is it common to paint the edges a dark solid color? I would appreciate the views of this group. This is the first time I've used the floater frame; normally I use the gallery wood frames, which completely cover the canvas edges.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: What to do with edges of a stretched canvas   What to do with edges of a stretched canvas EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 10:04 am

My wife and I paint the edges of the canvas. I used to try to extend the painting around the edges, but found that to be more trouble than it was worth. I would need to remix the colours after the painting was off the easel in order to paint the edges.
So I have now compromised. I paint the edges a colour that is harmonious with the painting, but only one colour. Not necessarily darker, just one that seems to enhance the painting.

As a second thought, some framers will apply black tape around the edges instead of them being painted.
Back to top Go down
Song Dog

Song Dog

Location Location : Dublin, Ohio USA

PostSubject: Re: What to do with edges of a stretched canvas   What to do with edges of a stretched canvas EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 am

Thanks for the reply; someone on a framing site suggested painting the edges black as the interior of most of the floater frames are black (as is mine). The black tape sounds a lot simpler and with less chance of a slight of hand mistake!
I like the way paintings look in the floater frames so I wanted to try it.

Thanks again for the response.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: What to do with edges of a stretched canvas   What to do with edges of a stretched canvas EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 11:28 am

Hi Song Dog

One other thing I could mention is that when we paint the edges, we lay the painting down on its back (face up) over the edge of a table or flat surface. Then we paint along the edge, moving the brush "upwards" from back edge to front edge. In other words, the brush goes along the edge of the painting, but does not first contact the painting anywhere near the front of the canvas, greatly reducing the risk of putting paint on the front.
This is hard to describe in text, but hopefully you get the sense of it.

Not sure what kind of tape is used to apply to the edge of the canvases, but it would be a specific art product, I'm sure, not the black tape that I used to apply to my hockey sticks, ha ha.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: What to do with edges of a stretched canvas   What to do with edges of a stretched canvas EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi song dog,

I tend to paint the edges of the canvas as I'm doing the painting. That way I carry the exact colors and patterns around the sides of the frame without having to worry about remixing paints at the end. The bottom edge gets a little trick, but I try to do that while one of the other sides are touch dry so I can turn the painting. I'll keep the painting turned during that session and work on it from that prospective. It helps keep your right brain active and sometimes you see areas that aren't quite right that you missed when looking upright.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What to do with edges of a stretched canvas   What to do with edges of a stretched canvas Empty

Back to top Go down

What to do with edges of a stretched canvas
Page 1 of 1