Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
joanieART

joanieART

Location Location : Santa Rosa, CA

Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You Empty
PostSubject: Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You   Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 10:17 pm

The keyword in that title is YOU. A landscape painter needs different colors than a portrait painter. So in order to find out what works for YOU, I suggest you start by finding out what you already have.

If you take the time, maybe two hours or so, I PROMISE you will have epiphanies that will result in you choosing better pigments that you LOVE and that work for you. I even promise that it can be more fun than you anticipate.

Here goes:

Pull out every oil paint you have
Cut up some strips of watercolor paper
Glaze each strip with a light coating of acrylic medium. (Ok, so watch your fave tv program while all this prep is happening, the real fun hasn't begun yet, you're right.)
Get out your palette, a brush, titanium white, and a marker.
Mark each strip with the Mfg name of the pigment, underneath that, the brand of paint, and under that, the pigment code. Don't leave out the pigment code!!

Special thanks to Janet for posting her gorgeous fan color deck!

https://watersolubleoils.forumotion.com/t240-paint-swatch-fan-deck?highlight=color+swatch

Ready?

Here are some pictures, A-HA's and results of my color swatching today. The pictures are quite large so I'll keep them hosted at my site. Enjoy!

http://www.artforthesoulofit.com/2011/02/04/choosing-a-palette-of-watersoluble-oil-paints/
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You   Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:42 pm

Thank you for sharing Joanie! Great way to learn what your paints can do. Smile
Back to top Go down
joanieART

joanieART

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You   Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:55 pm

Kind of geeky, I know...LOL, but I find that in between painting inspirations, that doing stuff like color swatches, besides being incredibly informative, allows my brain and muses to incubate the next paintings, direction....these things can't be forced....for me, it's all inspirational.

Blessings
Joanie
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You   Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Joanie,

I appreciate the thanks for the fan deck, but it was actually Janet who did it. I edited you post to correct it. Thanks for the information.

Judy
Back to top Go down
joanieART

joanieART

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You   Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 10:47 pm

Oh so sorry, Janet, I get moving too fast some times. I'll change it on my site too. Thanks to you, Judy, for pointing that out.

Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You   Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 3:31 pm

No worries Joanie. I certainly understand how that can happen. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You   Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You Empty

Back to top Go down

Choosing a Water Soluble Palette that Works for You
Page 1 of 1