Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

trying out wso for the first time

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
katmanuel

katmanuel

Location Location : Essex, UK

trying out wso for the first time Empty
PostSubject: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 5:12 pm

trying out wso for the first time 20110211

Hello, I am new to this site, and also to wso as I have been used to acrylics in the past. I am in the early stages of a commission for a military piece in wso, and as I am new to this medium I am practicing all sorts to get into the swing of using these paints. This painting is unfinished, and I would love to know what people think of the style, any improvements etc. Thankyou all
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi! Welcome to the forum. trying out wso for the first time 291433

Your painting of Michael Jackson captures him so well. There is no denying who it is. Is this the tonal under painting? Will you be adding glazes of color? I like the whole composition of the painting.

I look forward to following your progress.

Judy
Back to top Go down
katmanuel

katmanuel

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Thankyou Judy, I'm glad you guessed who it is! The original picture is in monochrome itself...so I am unsure of the colours for glazing I can put on top...or shall I just play around?
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 9:15 am

Welcome to the forum! Your painting is looking great! Their is no doubt that it looks like Michael Jackson. Good going! Smile
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 9:09 am

Nice work, katmanuel! You've captured the atmosphere and likeness really well! Any idea of what you will name the painting? Sometimes that can be challenging too!
Back to top Go down
katmanuel

katmanuel

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 1:12 pm

Thankyou for your kind comments. I'm really stuck for ideas on what to call it! I still need to neaten up the shoes and hand, but I have never done glazing before...is it used to exaggerate the dark and light areas? Any criticsms are also greatly appreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
katmanuel

katmanuel

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 7:01 am

trying out wso for the first time 04510

Have tidied some bits up, trying to get the direction of light correct, which is a pain when you have already painted it in!!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:50 pm

Looking great! Smile thumbs up
Back to top Go down
katmanuel

katmanuel

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 3:13 pm

And so the glazing begins! So far have just darkened it up...

trying out wso for the first time 04910
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 3:49 pm

Good luck.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 9:40 am

Looking forward to seeing the glazing! You certainly have a great underpainting to with.
Back to top Go down
katmanuel

katmanuel

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 10:18 am

Thankyou Smile I have never done glazing, so its all experimenting really...and hopefully I will have the patience!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: trying out wso for the first time   trying out wso for the first time Empty

Back to top Go down

trying out wso for the first time
Page 1 of 1