Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Seaashore in acrylic

Go down 
+2
Janet
Dale
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Seaashore in acrylic Empty
PostSubject: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyMon Dec 20, 2010 7:54 pm

As a challenge, my freind Krista and I tried a 90 minute painting eeach. It was stressful but good. I kept working on this in acrylic and will continue to develop the painting further.
[img]Seaashore in acrylic Img_1511[/img]
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 8:25 am

Wow 90 minutes that's fast. Wonderful painting! Love the whole scene! Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 12:17 pm

You always capture the motion of the water so realistically. Nice going.

judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyTue Dec 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Oops. This was not done in 90 minutes. I should have stressed the part about working on it longer - two nights longer in fact. I wish I could do this in 90 minutes.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 10:54 am

Sorry you did say you worked on it some more. I should have known that a masterpiece like this wouldn't take 90 minutes. You're so talented. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyWed Dec 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Thanks Janet.

here is the 90 minute version
[img]Seaashore in acrylic Dale9011[/img]
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyThu Dec 23, 2010 10:51 am

Still much much better then I could ever do in 90 minutes. Thank you for sharing this stage I see a lot of freedom in your brushwork that I find appealing. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 6:22 pm

I like that 90 minute version - very fresh and alive! Smile
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 8:42 am

I agree. The 90 minute painting is very impressive! I like the looseness to the strokes, and the areas of colour.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Here is the latest version. I am loving working in this in acrylic but may do it again sometime in w/s oils

[img]Seaashore in acrylic Seasho10[/img]
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 6:39 pm

I'm still very impressed by the motion of the water. I can just feel it rebounding off the rocks which, by the way, are also coming along really good.

judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks _ I need to add some reflected light into the shadows - do a bit more work on the water then I am calling it quits.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 9:56 am

Dale, Your painting looks great! The water looks wonderful and as usual I feel I could walk right into your painting and enjoy the ocean air. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptySun Jan 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Janet - anytime you want to experience that east coast ocean air -let me know
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 3:10 pm

ok so I really had fun with using more paint. I still need to work on the water more

[img]Seaashore in acrylic Bay_of10[/img]
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 9:42 pm

I like the new sky. It doesn't distract from the water like the other did. I don't know if it is just the difference in the photos, but I love the bluer water and sky than the earlier on that felt so grayish and stormy.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Have to agree with Judy! This turned out really nice. I'm impressed with all the work you did to get to the final painting.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:26 pm

Wow I'm loving the dramatic affect of the waves. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 9:24 pm

well - we can now officially move this painting back to the regular works in progress. I had spent an entire evening painting on this. it was only after I had gone to bed, that I realized that I had used oils on it instead of the acrylics. (DUH)

I have to add back the highlights of the sky and some more work on the surf and rocks but I feel this is looking more real (though i did lose the freshness)

[img]Seaashore in acrylic Bay_of11[/img]
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 9:16 am

wow, that water is magnificent!
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 12:52 pm

Thanks. I had redone the water really trying to get the structure of the wave action rather than just concentrate on the highlights.

I still need to tackle the front heavy surf - I don't like it at all and may change its actual shape - Why? because I can. Smile
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 pm

My wife, a very talented painter in her own right, sometimes laughs and quotes that colourful German painting TV personality from the past, William Alexander. He would apparently claim that "you are the almighty creator"!! Meaning, of course, that your painting is your own to do what you want with, you are the one who gives it life.

Here is a link to a (randomly selected) William YouTube clip for anyone who wants to experience his um pre-Bob Ross teaching methods. ha ha Razz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCMjEfFZuTM
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptyFri Jan 28, 2011 4:54 pm

I watched the video - I found it very entertaining - he seems so likable. Thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 5:02 pm

Dale, sorry to hear that you accidentally painted with oils over acrylic. Were you able to get the oils off before they dried? I sure hope you didn't have to start over.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic EmptySat Jan 29, 2011 7:57 pm

No - it was great! I do most of my oils on top of actylic underpainting anyways and I really prefer the oils - so i was able to achieve a better painting (I hope)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seaashore in acrylic   Seaashore in acrylic Empty

Back to top Go down

Seaashore in acrylic
Page 1 of 1