Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General Chat August 2010

Go down 
+7
kopo
judyfilarecki
Crystal1
Janet
Callie
Dana C
Sofie
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:37 am

Janet,

I am sorry about your dog and his/her hip issue. I also know the formula of glucosamine works pretty well with dogs, helps with the discomfort. I have had labs most of my life and they are prone to the hip issue also, but I have been glad that the labs I have had didn't seem to have hip problems. Hope all goes well for him/her and you can solve it so he feels better.

Callie,

My husband and I were to get a smaller dog, but got talked into a lager one by our youngest son....a great dane. I love her and she is a very good dog -- took a lot of training but I love to train dogs...as I was raised with them most of my life, learning that it's the owner who really needs the training, but after getting this great dane, I at times had second thoughts about it being the owner -- she was so stuborn, but think it had to do with getting her a little older than I have ever gotten a dog, she took a bit more training and time and energy, but now it was worth it -- guess I am more stuborn than she was....she is a great and obedient dog now, obeying by hand commands. At times I had my doubts though.

Dale,

Your husband is very understanding, that is wonderful -- a wonderful weekend -- my husband doesn't seem to understand my passion and love and need to paint he tries to though, but loves me to spend time with him and our company, Although he has been out of town for the last two weeks and I can spend more time painting and doing the things I have a passion for......What a joy for you and I am so glad your husband gives you freedom to paint. Hope you painted to your hearts desire! can't wait to see...your pieces
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 7:28 am

Well - he is starting to complain a bit. Wink Rolling Eyes

I posted a new technique I used in painting this weekend under my onion WIP and will repeat it here.

To capture the right value, I used a small piece of cardboard with a rectangle in it to isolate an area on the still life. Then I held up a value scale next to the subject so I could see both at the same time. It simplified things so well. I had the color premixed in various values of B&W, then picked up a bit and painted a spot next to the home made value scale to make sure it was the same value then painted it in the appropriate area.

the second tool I used (I am so proud of myslef for this one) I found this site called the Carder Method. http://www.thecardermethod.com/store.html To test out how easy it would be to use his propostional divider, I made one myself - very rough copy and loved it. I will likely order one.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 am

Dale - let us know what you think after you've experimented with the Carder Method. I'm really curious. Having seen some "newbie" paintings that rival the old masters, I had a look at Carder's site and I'm torn - I tend to be skeptical, so I wonder if this is a really amazing gimmick.
On the site, he displays some student work that's almost unbelievably good. Does every Carder student get the same results, or are there some not so stellar examples (that won't be shown on the site)? So, If someone has no artistic talent at all and someone who has talent (but no experience) both paint the same subject according to the Carder Method, will they have similar results?
Dale, it would be great if you would show us one of your still-life paintings next to a similar subject done with the Carder tools, along with your observations. Idea

Dana - I think larger dogs tend to be calmer and not so nervous as a lot of toy/small breeds. But I knew I couldn't have any more large dogs after one of my pups had an emergency and I really struggled to get him out of the house and into the car. I don't ever want to be in that situation again! By the way, we've had good results with the glucosamine-chondroitin for arthritis, my old "couch potato" pup was much more active after we got her going on it.
Back to top Go down
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 11:32 am

I'm butting in to your conversation, but I keep getting notifications, so I click in here. Smile

The Carder Method is fascinating, isn't it? - especially if you love realism. Having watched Mark Carders videos, I really appreciate how he teaches anyone to paint like a very seasoned professional artist. I have access as a member to his website and can see how the members are doing and it's incredible! You learn how to totally duplicate what you see, but in this method there is no room for creativity, but to recreate exactly what you see using the set up and material that he recommends. It's not for me to follow exactly, but I respect it, and really admire what the student put forth in their first paintings! I can't knock it, and it's great to learn by and then to move on from using your own eye for composition, color, and value. The videos are rather dry though. You can regularly hear his peacock screeching outside his studio. Shocked It is interesting though to hear him explain about developing the correct colors with only the primaries.

Now on the other hand, there is someone who has much better videos, and teaches color very thoroughly, and teaches every aspect of oil painting - even perspective. She is not marketed as well as Carder, but the dvd's are much more extensive. Her name is Gayle Levee and she is with Legacy Learning System. Very professional, well done, and much much more for the money.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 1:15 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will check out Gayle. I found this link.
http://www.learntomasterpainting.com/
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 5:40 pm

Hi Susan - you're not butting in, the more the merrier! Thanks for your input on the Carder Method. It sounds like using it to begin with then branching out on one's own once the basics have been learned would be the way to go. Move beyond the mechanical and let a hint of individuality show through.

Did you see on the Gayle Levee site, her painting course is on sale - $100.00 off of $149.00 - 3 days only.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi Callie! I did get her course for that amount in the fall. It is so professionally done, and well worth the money.

The Carder Method is really marketed, and I expected it to be better than Gayle's but was disappointed that it was not, even though he can teach anyone to paint very realistically.
I really agree with you about learning from it, but then moving on, but Gayle teaches a WHOLE LOT more than Mark does, except that she does not teach to perfectly duplicate exactly what you see. It's nice to get tips from different artist's, but I think that ultimately each person has to sort of find his/her own way. There is just no absolute "one size fits all" way to painting, although there is so much to be learned, like value, composition, perspective, color theory, supply advice, etc. to build on. Don't you agree? I tend to be like to be a honeybee flitting from flower to flower gleaning what I can to help me where I'm at. Freedom is a good thing! I love you
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 8:50 am

Susan, I agree with your honeybee comment. I find that I pick up a lot of information through various means; looking at other artist works, reading magazines, and from the web. I try to see a lot of work on the web. This week, I am impressed with the work of Connie Hayes, a Maine painter.
http://www.conniehayes.com/

Mostly it is up to me to progress, to learn while I put in the hours.

The Levee DVDs look like they could be helpful, but I am more of a "skim through and stop here and there" viewer, so it is unlikely that I will spend the $150 to get the series. I'd be more likely to borrow them from a friend and fly through them some rainy Sunday afternoon. Too bad there isn't a special price for "one-time browsers", ha ha. "Watch them once and send them back, all for $45"

I've taken a few weeks break from painting, with vacation and the recent hot weather, but I expect be be back to it next week, all refreshed. My current work is still sitting on the easel, waiting patiently for me to finish it.
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 9:22 am

Watermixableguy, you are Alan, right? Thanks for your comments, and I know what you mean about that borrowing would be nicer than spending. Very Happy I got Carder as a gift and Gayle's for $100. I was so curious that I "bit the bullet". I do skim, and have not watched all of either. When I watch the Carder one I usually fall asleep. Rolling Eyes I surf the web, read magazines. observe, and listen, and love it all, but when I go to mix, compose, or put down the brush stroke, it usually just comes from the gut. I am so happy that early on I learned color theory and value, and composition, which is so foundationally helpful to me. And I really am so happy to be using watersoluble oil paints!

I checked out Connie Hayes, and I love her use of high chroma paints where appropriate, and I liked checking out your site! How wonderful! It is a pleasure to view your nice work, and to see what you have posted.

The lessons I probably need most of all are computer lessons! The lack of "know how" in this area is my biggest weakness.

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:09 am

Hi Susan;

Thanks for your comments about our blog. It's turning into a good way to show our paintings to anyone who is curious about them. People find it convenient to visit to a website for a few minutes at their own leisure. As far as the computer skills involved, it took some learning to understand the Wordpress application and so on, but I feel as if the learning curve has levelled out now, and I can update the site easily.

My wife Helen has been quite busy in painting, so we will have more of her work visible this afternoon on the site. (I am trying out the "publish-this-at-such-and-such-a-time" feature... Smile

Life-long painting, with life-long learning!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:45 am

Hi Dale,
Thanks for the links. I tried the Carder one but it didn't work so I removed the "." right after html and now it works find. He has some interesting tips for comparing sizes and values. I only took a quick look, but will probably look at more. The gadget he shows for checking size might come in very handy when I'm trying to add the Adirondack chairs to my present painting so they will be the right proportion compared to the background boats.

I haven't checked the two other links from Susan and Alan, but I'm sure I will before the day is out.

Thanks you all for sharing.

Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 10:55 am

Hi Judy:
I thought of you this morning, your recent mention of spending winters down south. We are having southern Arizona weather here in my part of Atlantic provinces today. 34C, or (Alan looks it up on a metric converter...) 93F, with humidity getting things up to the equivalent of 106F.
I would pity a plein-air painter today. More like using "sweat-mixable" oil paints today rather than water mixable:)
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi Alan,
We only reached high 80's yesterday, but we don't have the humidity here in the northern Adirondacks of NY like you do along the coast. Next month I'll head to AZ. The temps there are D_O_W_N to the high 90's and should be in the 80's by the time I get there. Perfect.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 12:05 pm

We have had record highs here in Atlantic Canada and are awaiting hurricane Earl due Saturday morning...
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 3:08 pm

Here in this part of Wyoming dustings of snow on some of the higher mountains the night before last. Traces are still visible from here. Temperature 62 F right now (~17 C). I hope Earl stays away from Atlantic Canada!!!!
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 EmptyThu Sep 02, 2010 4:12 pm

Wish I was there, Jim. Dale, I hope Earl fizzes out before it gets to your area!
See you all in September..............
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat August 2010   General Chat August 2010 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat August 2010
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3