Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Local Colours - Arts Council Event

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

Local Colours - Arts Council Event Empty
PostSubject: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 10:01 pm

Local Colours - Arts Council Event 37494_413123450994_535710994_5065128_4757313_nLocal Colours - Arts Council Event 37494_413123440994_535710994_5065127_4674526_nOn

Thursday and Friday I took part in an Arts Council Event called Local Colours. About a dozen artists were set up at different spots in the town centre - from 11- 4 on Thursday and from 9-5 on Friday. The Friday was in conjunction with Market Day - the main shopping street was closed off and stores and vendors had booths in it. There were also musicians and dancers and a carnival for the little kids. It was a very fun event. The weather was perfect - sunny and warm but with a breeze. My spot had trees so there was lots of shade. My spot was outside of Potters' Place, a pottery co-op store. The pictures show the views that I painted.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 10:20 pm

Local Colours - Arts Council Event 35078_413121790994_535710994_5065008_3685261_n

This is on a 20"x20" canvas. I started with a wash of indian red and raw sienna thinned with odourless solvent. I used my new Van Gogh H2O paints - zinc white, cobalt blue, Indian yellow, azo yellow med, and deep carmine. I also used some artisans - Cad yellow light hue, prussian blue, Indian red, and Raw sienna. The Van Goghs are very soft so it was nice to have the more bodied artisans as well. During the two days I went back and forth between paintings, the hot weather helping with drying time so that I could paint on top of painted areas the next day.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 10:27 pm

Local Colours - Arts Council Event 35078_413121795994_535710994_5065009_5244189_n

This painting is 16"x24" canvas. I used the same colours as in the other painting but forgot to mention the artisan raw umber in the darks. I completed these two paintings in the 5 hours one day and 8 hours the next, and had lots of visitors coming by to watch me paint.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 7:59 am

Nice job Sofie.

I love the choice of colors and especially like the one with the bench.

I did a fair in town yesterday also, and started a sketch of the view over the river but that is as far as it got. Being a small town, people were constantly in my booth visiting, talking and more importantly buying, and the show was only from 9 to 2 so it was pretty short.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Thanks Judy! Smile I like that one best too.

I'm glad you had a successful fair - buying customers are always appreciated. Wink

The artists in Local Colours don't have booths or sell work - they are simply there to paint in public and promote awareness of the arts. It's a paid gig, so that's a bonus. Local Colours - Arts Council Event Icon_flower
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptySun Jul 18, 2010 4:19 pm

Paid is good. Actually, at least there's a guarantee of some money, unlike fairs that may or may not generate any significant sales and a fee to cover for being in the fair.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 9:52 pm

Sofie,

Love the detail in the trees, esp the trunks in the one picture they are so different from one another, the colors are also so very nice....wow long days.

I also like how you choose what should be in the picture and what to eliminate from it -- was it difficult with all the people walking around and trying to get the picture done, I would think that having people walking through your subjects which you are painting would be distracting?

Thank you for the details explaining the colours and all.

I am glad you got to be in the shade and the breeze was nice for you. Very nice work!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks Dana! Smile

i usually eliminate things that are nonessential to the composition - things that would make the painting too busy. Like with the tree and the bench, I brought the branches down lower to cover the window of one of the shops because the window would have been distracting to the composition.

Having people walking through my picture didn't bother me at all because I already had the composition all laid out. I would onky look at the scene for reference. I have got used to painting in front of people these last few years. If I'm all alone somewhere I still get shy about it but at an event it doesn't bother me.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 6:23 am

Very nice paintings Sofie! Smile
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 11:49 am

Sofie, I really love these pictures--your colors are always great! On the painting with 2 trees, the tree on the left has a place in the lower trunk where it appears to me to be thinner than the top of the trunk. It's still beautiful though.
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Sofie, Thank you, very helpful -- I will look back to see the limb of the tree how it covers the window. It is great to get your insights -- thank you for your response. Local Colours - Arts Council Event 5191
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local Colours - Arts Council Event   Local Colours - Arts Council Event Empty

Back to top Go down

Local Colours - Arts Council Event
Page 1 of 1