Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need Empty
PostSubject: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 11:42 am

Hi ya all -- I will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing and if you don't mind, I would like your alls input on it-- I believe I have the place, which has a bathroom, beside a lake, but need to know what time of day to have it. I would like to start early, but not sure if that’s good….I am thinking about a Friday, but then maybe towards the eve might be better…..do I bring goodies for everyone – I will put links to where it is for the group….It seems like there is a group thats ready for getting out to paint....and they gave me the okay to put one together.....I’m excited as I have never painted Plein-Air…I have read about it…..well anyways looking forward to your alls input. Thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 12:58 pm

Our plein-air group here usually meets around 9:00 am. Everyone brings their own drinks, snacks or lunch. Some people arrive earlier and everyone paints as long as they want. We usually break for lunch around 11:00, but not everyone eats - some of us just keep on painting! Mornings work out better here because it gets very hot during the day from late spring through earl fall. I think the mornings work out well also because that leaves the rest of the day/evening free for family stuff or other activities.

Don't forget to pack your sunscreen and bug spray!
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 3:52 pm

Dana: How exciting to plan a plein-air outing. I've observed one before, but I've never painted in one either.

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 4:00 pm

Dana - I guess the time depends on if people are working or not. We meet in the evenings for that reason. We have another group that meets on Saturday mornings at around 9:00am, to beat the heat. Everyone is responsible for their own snacks/drinks, and of course our evening group always ends up in the pub afterwards. Wink
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:34 pm

From watching the plein air artists on Create, they tend to like early in the day or later in the day because the shadows are longer making for a more interesting painting. I'm sure the heat also has to do with it, but the shadows are one thing to consider.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need EmptyMon Jul 12, 2010 7:44 pm

I forgot to mention, we paint on Sundays. It's too hard to plan around everyone's work and family schedules through the week. I wish we had an afternoon/evening group, although around here, once the heat and the mosquitos become tolerable it's late enough in the year that it gets dark before 5:00.Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need Icon_lol ...But if there was a pub outing at the end of the session, I might just learn to paint faster than the sunset! Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need 66861
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need EmptySat Jul 17, 2010 3:43 pm

Judy, Thank you - very good info. yes, that is when our photography friends like to also take pictures, in the early morning or towards the eve, when the shadows are longer....this is why I was considering an early AM or later PM. But in the eve – then there isn’t any more light or not much our time is cut short if you want to stay longer, you just can't . I will take that into consideration and thank you for helping me keep the details together.

Callie, yes your right, it is important for family time and great thought about the heat, with Seattle we love the warmth, but not when it gets too hot, also with our pale skin here in Seattle, we will need the sunscreen – have you tried those new attachable bug fans (I was thinking instead of the spray)…the ones you just attach to your pockets – I wonder if I got one or two of those and put one on the back of my easel and one nearby if they would work as well. I might bring some cookies or muffins for the group – do you think that would be appropriate also – we’ll see how time and energy allows?

Sofie – I guess if there was a pub nearby that would sound good after a day outside painting – lol….I could forgo bringing cookies.

I was hoping to plan a Plein-Air in July, but my days are booked up through July -- maybe the first part of August and then a later one in Sept. when the leaves are changing. THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP -- should you think of anything else, please don't hesitate to let me know.

International En Plein Air Painters' Worldwide Paintout 04

Which one is me -- I found this on line and they gave permission to copy and share -- Hope you all are enjoying your summer!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need EmptyMon Jul 19, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm guessing the one in the middle, because thye one in the foreground seems to be using water colours and the one in the back is sketching, I think. Looks like a nice sunny day in Seattle. Wink
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 9:33 pm

Sofie -- Thank you for your guess, but none are me -- just a picture I found on line and they said I could share with others, I don't know who these people are.....just put it in for fun! Sorry Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need   Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need Empty

Back to top Go down

Will be hosting a Plein-Air Outing....need
Page 1 of 1