Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Passport and Palette

Go down 
+3
Sofie
Janet
judyfilarecki
7 posters
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Passport and Palette Empty
PostSubject: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 7:19 am

I just finished watching "Passport and Palette" on Create TV .
It has artists that travel around the world doing plein air painting. Each show has a different artist and he/she paints an entire scene while narrating what is being done. I always come away with some tip.

Today's tip is to look through a small circle made by your thumb and index finger to help establish the color and tonal relationship between two colors in a small area. It really helps eliminate all the distractions around the two objects so you can concentrate on their relationship.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 8:18 am

Wish I had access to that channel it looks great. Thank you for the great tip Judy! Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 9:08 am

I didn't have access until I got a new high definition TV and then it is a free channel.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyWed Jul 07, 2010 1:37 pm

That's a great tip - thanks Judy! Smile
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyFri Jul 09, 2010 2:12 pm

That looks like a great program, I am going to have to see if I can get it?!?! Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 8:47 am

Next tip from today's show. Looking through a clear red film will help you see tonal values easier so you can block in areas more quickly before the light changes. Judy
Back to top Go down
betgee

Location Location : Tillsonburg, Ontario

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 11:26 am

I see create tv is having a marathon today of Paint and Palette. It's on all day. Wish I could get it.
Judy: the tips you have given us, so far, sound really good. Hope you can watch more today and let us all know. As a beginner oil painter, everything helps - thanks
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 11:36 am

Yes, I agree-- I also checked out the Marathon, but when I went to view and tape it, it was not on, even though the program guide from the web said in Seattle it should be....I was very sad and will be gone to a baby shower for a friend today, so I can't see if the TV just didn't print it. Sad
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptySat Jul 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Betgee, Passport and Palette 291433 I'm so glad you decided to join us. I hope you find lots of great information. many of our members are new to WS Oils and others have used them since they were first introduced. I had to go out and buy a small high definition television so I could get Create. I watched several of the shows today in between going to an art fair in town. I'll try to get more tips.

Dana, sorry you missed them. I find that the schedule varies in different localities. Here in the east, they follow the schedule from 6 am to 6 pm and then they do their own thing after 6 pm. You may have to try different times of day to see what they do on the west coast.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 1:04 pm

This is funny - I just finished watching Passport & Palette before I came on the forum Passport and Palette Icon_lol We get it on our regular PBS station as well as the create channel, so it's on pretty often. Great show Passport and Palette 120968

http://www.passportandpalette.com/passportandpalette.htm
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptySun Jul 11, 2010 5:37 pm

We only get it on Create both here and in Tucson. Of course, Tucson has no artists on regular PBS. Here in NY everyday there is a different artist on PBS.
Judy
Back to top Go down
DesertRambler

DesertRambler

Location Location : Northern Nevada (Reno area)

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 4:10 pm

I looked but can't find Create TV on my DirecTV channel lineup. When you say you only got it when you got a new HD TV, does that mean that it's just coming through the Internet connection to your TV as one of the services - like Netflix does? Or is it coming through your cable or satellite connection?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Create TV is considered a free over-the-air channel which both my cable companies do provide, although the NY one does list it as a station. The only way I got it here in NY was when I had the HDTV do a scan of available signals. The TV picked up the signals even though Time Warner denies having those channels if you talk to any of their "Support?" people. Comcast actually lists it as a channel they provide.

We don't have Direct TV in this area, but we do have Dish Network and they say they have it, but you may need to request local channels. That is the best I can tell you. Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
DesertRambler

DesertRambler

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 7:08 pm

OK, maybe that's the trick - maybe it's the local channels I'll have to search. However, thinking about it, considering Reno is as small as it is, especially in regards to fine arts, they may not have it here at all. Sad
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Don't feel bad about Reno. When I check the schedule for art shows in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, there are very little compared to Central and Eastern Zones. I don't know why. People love to paint and learn about painting all over the country. It must be politics????
Back to top Go down
DesertRambler

DesertRambler

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 7:27 pm

Maybe - I grew up in Florida but have lived out west (Southern CA and here) for 19 years and there are a lot of times that I feel like the western U.S. is forgotten or ignored - it could make you feel like a 2nd-class citizen! I guess you have an advantage since you spend half the year in the east - you can participate take advantage of all there is to offer during those 6 months, and then focus on other things when you are in AZ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Passport and Palette   Passport and Palette Empty

Back to top Go down

Passport and Palette
Page 1 of 1