Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tuesday Evening Paintings

Go down 
+5
Dana C
judyfilarecki
Dale
Janet
Sofie
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am

Sofie,

I love your palette – and your work is so peaceful – I, like Dale, have a difficult time cutting out and trying to narrow down what I would paint, you seem to have found just the right amount of landscape and detail for your picture to be interesting and complete – very nice and very peaceful… quite serene. Also thank you for sharing the colors.

Enjoy your time at the "Paint Around Town" -- hope you learn lots, meet interestiing people, and just have fun --- I also look forward to hearing how it went and possibly seeing some of your work. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 10:26 am

Sofie, my wife also enjoyed seeing what you are doing in your plein air sessions. She asks how you clean your brushes on location.. Do you bring a bucket, or bottled water, soap, etc..
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 7:17 pm

Thanks Dale, Waterguy, and Dana! Smile

For this painting I sketched in the water, horizon lines, and shapes of the trees with green (cad yellow and prussian blue) and then used the umber to put in the trunks and reflections. After that I put in my darker values, and went from there.

For cleaning my brushes while working outdoors, I have a small bottle of water that I rinse them in and a cloth for wiping. I actually walked to this location from my house so I keep everything I take very compact - it all fits into a shoulder bag. I wash the brushes with soap and water when I get home.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 1:28 am

Just sold this painting today. Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 Icon_biggrin I'm going to miss it. Wink
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 7:54 am

Excellent, good for you!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 9:32 am

That's great Sophie,

It sounds like it has been a good week for several of us. Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 Icon_sunny Judy
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 11:02 am

Congratulations on the sale, Sofie!
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 2:38 pm

Beautiful painting, Sofie. Congrats on the sale!
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Congrats Sophie!!!!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 7:41 am

Sofie Congratulations! cheers
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 26, 2010 3:43 pm

I am so happy for your Sofie, I know it is hard to have a painting go, but they loved it and that's why they spent their hard earned money for it....it will be loved!

CONGRATULATION! I am so happy for you, Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 1:13 pm

Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 40578_420566450994_535710994_5264383_4498548_n

I missed the last couple of Tuesday nights, so it was good to get out last night and paint. We went to the town of Cumberland where there are a lot of cute old houses. As I was painting this one the owner came out to talk to me. She is lucky enough to know the history of her house and have archival photos. It was built in 1896, which is old here on the west coast, and apparently still has a lot of original features, like the beautiful windows.

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me so I didn't get a location photo. This painting is 12x16. I painted over another painting to which I'd added a wash of lemon yellow and zinc white with a bit of odourless solvent to obscure it. I could still see a lot of what was underneath but it wasn't distracting.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2010 10:13 pm

It always adds a little something to a painting when you know a little of the history. It was nice of her to share it and I bet she was honored to have you paint it. Maybe she might think about buying it. You never know.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 7:30 am

Great painting Sofie! Very nice painterly style! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 1:28 pm

Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 40396_421205700994_535710994_5279744_1982339_n

Did a bit more work on this - don't know if I improved it or not. Wink
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2010 8:20 pm

Love the way this is coming out, Sophie!
Dayle
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:00 am

Very nice to get to meet the present owner and learn a little of the history of the home....wouldn't it be fun to put that on the back of the piece.

I have been wanting to paint over some of my older pieces....what solvent were you refering to that you added to obscure it?

I went away for a long weekend, a friend invited me to her riverhouse, near the beaches in Oregon....I did some Plein-Air painting and had a quiet beautiful time-- the weather was perfect and no phone or radio or tv -- all by myself - what a wonderful gift it was.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 2:21 am

Last Tuesday my babysitting fell through, but this Tuesday was a go. It was a beautiful evening, but I had to work very fast to catch the light which changed very quickly. Here's the location with the work almost finished in the foreground:

Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 40711_424852820994_535710994_5380687_7101837_n

As you can see I took liberties and removed a fence, and cleared out some branches and grass to find a barn that was almost totally obscured. It didn't end up looking much like the actual barn because all I could see was a vague outline of the roof.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 25, 2010 2:27 am

Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 41315_424853025994_535710994_5380690_6339497_n

This is how the painting looks close up. It's on a 10"x12" canvas. I did the tree first, catching the light and shadow as I drew it on with the paint. In the location shot, the light had moved quite a bit higher up on the tree by the time I was done.
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 31, 2010 2:09 am

Sofie,

How fun too see though your eyes -- I love what you did with this piece, espcially after seeing what you were painting it from. The light is great -- good capturing it and very nice how you took your focus for this painting.

Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 Washin10
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 07, 2010 6:18 pm

Beautiful painting Sofie! This one reminds me a lot of favorite style... impressionism. Wonderful loose brushwork. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:31 am

Thanks Dana and Janet. I've done a few tiny touchups on it since then but I want to keep the loose, spontaneous feel.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 1:37 am

Tuesday we painted at the farm again. I managed to paint this little 8x10 canvas in about 45 minutes. By that time the light had changed completely. The sky was amazing with the most incredible complete double rainbow, and then the skies opened up. Luckily everyone had worked quickly (most starting before me) so all the work was packed up before the rain began. I forgot to bring my camera, so no shot of the subject.

The canvas I used was previously painted in acrylic and painted over with a mixture of titanium white, Hansa yellow, and alizarin crimson golden opens. This background colour shows through in many places.

Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 59860_429946445994_535710994_5497161_2151507_n
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 09, 2010 11:02 am

Have you ever tried painting a rainbow? We see so many in Arizona and I have tons of pictures but I've never tried to paint them. I should probably post some of them in the RIL. I love the way you did the mountains.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks Judy.

I've got two small pictures with rainbows in them - loved the subject but was still hesitant to paint it because a rainbow can be such a cliche.

The season for plein air is over now here on the west coast, but some of you are in great locations to still be doing plein air work. Please don't hesitate to post your plein air work !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tuesday Evening Paintings   Tuesday Evening Paintings - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tuesday Evening Paintings
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next