Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gathering: studies and experiments

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Gathering: studies and experiments Empty
PostSubject: Gathering: studies and experiments   Gathering: studies and experiments EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 8:51 am

Gathering: studies and experiments %3Ca%20href=Gathering: studies and experiments GathStudyLeft4x6smWM" border="0" />Gathering: studies and experiments %3Ca%20href=Gathering: studies and experiments GathStudyRight4x6smWM" border="0" />
Gathering: studies and experiments %3Ca%20href=Gathering: studies and experiments GatherLeftA4x6smWM" border="0" />
Gathering: studies and experiments %3Ca%20href=Gathering: studies and experiments GatherRtA4x6smWM" border="0" />

This series of paintings started off as the small 2 studies, based on compiling a few early evening crowd photographs I took in Halifax last summer. After I painted the two "representational" paintings, each 6" x 6", I wanted to try them again as two linked larger paintings that could sit side by side.

So, in order to try something different, and being aware that I did not have model releases for all the people,
I tried altering each face so it was different from the reference, and then got really bold. I would change the lighting, make it a moody night scene, and use red and green light. So, I embarked on that adventure, but by the time a few weeks passed, did not like the results.

So, I started again, and painted over the whole thing, both 30" paintings. This time, I went with blue and yellow, with red highlights. Why not stick to the basic palette? Of course, the colours I painted with were mixed combinations, but I started off as the basic idea of using red, blue and yellow. That was a great paint mixing exercise for me.

Anyway, the result is also "mixed", I like some parts of it here and there, but certainly found my limits, ha ha. Faces are hard to invent, obviously, and it is also difficult to imagine and then paint lighting that is falling on invented facial features. But we do this for fun and amusement, right?

On the positive side, I guess I like the mystery and ambiguous nature of these two larger paintings. What are all these people doing?
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Gathering: studies and experiments   Gathering: studies and experiments EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 11:50 am

Hey Alan, They look wonderful - great work
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Gathering: studies and experiments   Gathering: studies and experiments EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 12:26 pm

very interesting experiment Alan. I actually think I like the first two best, because they are such tight views and really give the feeling of a crowd. The larger ones seem more spaced out between the people. Quite a challenge you set yourself - well done! Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Gathering: studies and experiments   Gathering: studies and experiments EmptyWed Jun 23, 2010 3:06 pm

Wow these are fantastic paintings! I love the way your figures fade in the distance. The faces are really well modeled with just the rite amount of detail. Smile
Back to top Go down
Dana C

Dana C

Location Location : Seattle/Snohomish, WA

PostSubject: Re: Gathering: studies and experiments   Gathering: studies and experiments EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:50 pm

Alan,

Thank you for sharing these with us.....I really like the expressions on the faces of the people – quite nice and fun to look from one to another and try to interpret what they may be thinking or feeling....Like the shadows, light, and capturing some of the complexity of human exprssisons. Thank you again for sharing your work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gathering: studies and experiments   Gathering: studies and experiments Empty

Back to top Go down

Gathering: studies and experiments
Page 1 of 1