Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

General Chat November - December 2009

Go down 
+4
Bonnie
Callie
judyfilarecki
Janet
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Great suggestions on networking for artists. We do have a local Art Association that I should participate in. Who knows they may have some groups that get together and paint. I know they do a lot of shows in the local galleries which I don't think I'm ready for but I'm sure it's not a requirement.

General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_cheers I finally was able to buy the thinner for the W&N Artisan and purchased all the colors I need. I'm really looking forward to trying them out on my next painting. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 07, 2009 10:23 pm

Janet - I know just the perfect landscape you could try your new paints out on General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_twisted . I hope you enjoy the thinner. Sure makes it easier to get a painting started.

And you might be surprised by what you see at the galleries. Around here, I've seen just about anything goes - no talent or experience required. Not to say there aren't any good artists here! Just a real mish-mash. If I wait until I'm ready - well, I'll never be ready General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_lol

Doesn't hurt to start schmoozing - you might find yourself in a show before you know it!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:36 am

Oh yes landscapes... my favorite subject. I'll be trying them out on the animal one first. I'll get to the landscape eventually and probably spend the month just working with the Artisan.

As far as displaying my art not sure that I want any of my paintings hanging anywhere yet. I don't hang them on my walls and not quite ready to subject other people to that. I still don't have control over the medium and still working on several aspects of painting. Some day but I still feel like I have a lot to learn. I'm still in the experimentation phase of my learning but I learn something with each painting and from all the members with their generous information. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 11:24 am

I think you may be progressing faster than you think. General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_cheers Just look at your most recent portraits. But I understand the reluctance to show your work. I used to work my paintings to death trying to get every detail just right - always finding something to change. Painting with a group has helped me progress much faster than I would have (if ever) on my own. Besides, it's fun to see how other people develop their paintings, compare materials, and give/get some feedback and advice.
Doing the monthly painting challenges has really helped my progress - and it's nice to have another group to paint with! General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
dlspinks

dlspinks

Location Location : North Carolina

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 6:20 pm

We have a nice small group that meet 2-3 times a week at our local Art Guild. It is informal and great fun and we all support each other no matter what level we are at. The less experienced painters learn a lot from the more serious ones, and the more serious painters not only enjoy mentoring, but in the process learning from, the less experienced ones.

I spent the last few days reorganizing my home studio with the help of a good friend from our group. I am usually very organized, but the art room was such a mess I couldn't stand to work in there.

My friend had great ideas and helped with strategic furniture placement and storage options. She also kept me on task, as I tended to go off on a tangent with each object I picked up. I hardly had to toss anything, yet I now have a couple of empty drawers to fill with new stuff! I was also able to make space dedicated for my mat cutter, so now I don't clutter up the dining room table anymore.

General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 IMG_0001 General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 IMG_0002-1

General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 IMG_0003 General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 IMG_0004

General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 IMG_0005 General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 IMG_0006
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 6:46 pm

Callie, thank you for the vote of confidence! I think rite now their is a lot of hit and miss going on with my paintings. More miss then hit but Rome wasn't built in a day and I know it takes a lot of practice to get truely good. The monthly challenges are what I find help my progress as well. Smile

Debra, I like the attitude of your art guild and find it so true that experienced painters can learn from inexperienced painters... that is something that not a lot of people realize. They sound like a very openminded group.

Your studio looks wonderful! Very well organized. Looking at your photos is giving me the urge to get organized as well. Rite now my area is just the corner of our livingroom not really a great set up. We have 2 empty bedrooms and a finished basement that's never used. Thank you for the inspiration! Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:25 pm

My spare room/studio has turned into a walk-in closet (old house=very small closets). Drafting table and mat cutter are in the basement now with stuff piled all over them. We added a room onto the back of the house (with lots of windows), so I've moved from a dark dining room to a corner in the new space.
Debra - your studio room looks great. It must be nice to have everything all in one area; and so organized!

I tend to paint more often away from home, so most of my "studio" is in a bag, ready to go.

One of these years I'm going to join the local Artists' Guild. At least, I keep telling myself that General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 9:28 pm

Debra - what a nice, spacious studio you have! I wonder how long it'll stay that tidy. Wink

My studio is in my enclosed back porch, but I move into my kitchen in the winter because it's warmer.
Back to top Go down
dlspinks

dlspinks

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Callie wrote:
I tend to paint more often away from home, so most of my "studio" is in a bag, ready to go.
Those large bags hanging on the closet doors ---> mini-studios. From the left - oils bag, acrylics bag, watercolor bag, and "bags" bag General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_lol . They used to live on the floor, along with the accompanying paint tote bins, with mats and frames leaning against every vertical surface. I paint "out" 3 times a week; my goal is to paint "in" just as often.

Sophie - no telling how long it will stay neat, but it might be a while - the storage system and work areas are much more accessible and logically arranged now. I'm just happy not to be "tripping" around the room anymore General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_redface .
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 08, 2009 11:18 pm

I just have 2 bags; plein air and everything else. At home my space is just a table, chair and easel, with the bag on the floor next to me. But I'm the type that if given more space, would quickly fill it, then need more space! General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
dlspinks

dlspinks

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 12:56 am

Callie, I think that's what happened to me. It's a terrible disease, isn't it General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Kopfschuettel ?

Sofie, I'm sorry, I misspelled your name General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Herz
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn

Location Location : Uniontown Mo

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 10:31 am

Wow thanks for all the impute everyone I really miss my painting buddies back home but I am sure I will find a few where I am living now. And of course I have all of you, my very own virtual painting group !!

Callie no problem meeting at the wineries to paint that would work, not far from st. g. we will have to talk about this again in the spring. Oh did I mention I have a wine cellar ! Yep out building for a studio, a wine cellar and a barn, life does not get a better!!!

I will try and get pictures of the studio to share, I love seeing what others have. Before moving I used a bed room and it was jam backed now my studio looks empty, give me time I will fill it up !!!
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 09, 2009 11:58 am

Dawn, that sounds like heaven to me - I buy wine like Imelda Marcos bought shoes - there's crates, boxes, bottles and racks all over the place. General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Drunken_smilie
I've been to St. G one time, for their Bastille Day celebration, would love to go back in the fall and do some end of harvest winery tours.

.....and maybe some painting, too!
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2009 10:40 am

Hi everyone! I'm thinking of doing some baking for the holidays. I have a gazzilion recipe books accumulating dust. I'm wondering if you might have some favorites to share. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 9:18 am

Well so much for baking. I've started working on some swatches for my Holbein. I think I've come to the conclusion that I'll stick with the Holbein. I need a thicker paint and a brand that I don't have to be really careful with medium. I find that I have more control over thicker paint and I can get the affects that I want. Not a waste of money as I can bring the W&N to my camp in the spring to use them their. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 2:17 pm

Janet, you might mention your comparison in the ws oils brand thread. The Artisans and Duo Aquas are getting the most votes, so your observations could be helpful to someone weighing their options.General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_wink
So Christmas is near and the aroma of gingerbre--- Linseed oil fills the house General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 2:59 pm

Callie, I've added my comparison to the ws oils brand thread. Good idea! Mmmm linseed oil. I haven't baked in a long time. I might just go with store bought from the local bakery. I'd probably end up the aroma of burnt gingerbread if I tried it. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 3:30 pm

I don't bake, 'cause there's just the two of us. I wouldn't want to let all that time and effort go to waste. Picture me sitting down in front of the tv with a whole pound cake in my lap and a few cookies on the side General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_porc
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 3:48 pm

It's just the two of us now as well. We do a lot of takeout and eating out now. I get the picture and it's making me hungry. Off to grab a snack and do some more swatches. I think I'll be at it for a loooong time. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 3:55 pm

Well, it was too rainy to go outside and paint today, so we met at the coffee shop. I started a still life and posted it in the WIPs - so now I have to finish it! General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 5:16 pm

Callie, We're getting a lot of snow. We probably have about a foot now. Does it usually rain in Missouri in December?
Back to top Go down
dlspinks

dlspinks

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 6:25 pm

It's cold and spitting rain here today, but luckily not cold enough for the sleet the weatherman was forecasting.

The first year we moved here after retiring, I started cooking 3 meals a day and making pies and cookies. I gained 15 lbs. in 6 months. I only cook 1 meal a day now and very rarely sweets. I've lost 10 lbs. Still working on the rest.

I've finished my Christmas card. This year I did it in colored pencil. It's kind of dorky, but no time to do another. Now to get a decent photo of it and get them printed.

If I had my druthers, I'd get only Holbein, too, but I've too much invested in the WN. I'm just happy I can get along with them now.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 8:01 pm

How come it's so easy to gain weight, but so hard to lose it? Just doesn't seem right!
Are you going to show us your Christmas card? One of these years I'm going to remember to make some before it's too late in the year - maybe in time to even mail them. General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Icon_lol
I've been here since 1989. The first few years, we had beautiful fall weather followed by cold and a good amount of snow. Now - it's just weird. October was almost non-stop rain, November was warm-hot and sunny, December has gone from chilly to below freezing - but no snow yet - just severe winds that knocked out the power to around 5000 homes in the area. Two years ago we got over 2 feet of snow in one day at the end of March - and it had been almost 80 degrees the day before!
We usually don't know if we're painting outside on Sundays until that morning. I hope we get some snow for X-Mas.
Back to top Go down
dlspinks

dlspinks

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 9:52 pm

All right, here it is. This year I was determined not to use a reference, and this is what popped into my head.

I usually use a one-word greeting inside, but I'm at a loss for "word" this year. Any suggestions?

General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 GoodIMG_1678
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2009 11:06 pm

That's cute, Debra.

Hpw about Enjoy! ? That's one word with a good message for the season (I imagine you've already used Peace in other years)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Chat November - December 2009   General Chat November - December 2009 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Chat November - December 2009
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next