Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WSOs and art pens

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

WSOs and art pens Empty
PostSubject: WSOs and art pens   WSOs and art pens EmptyWed May 12, 2010 12:10 pm

I have a small set of Faber Castell art pens, with brush tips. They are acid ree, light fast, fade resistant, waterproof pigmented drawing inks. I began using them on my trip for quick sketches and to do my initial drawings under the wsos. But as I have also used them to sign paintings (I'm terrible at signing with a brush) I thought why not see how they worked in combination with the wsos and not just for the underdrawing. I've used them in sparingly in a couple of paintings - just to define edges and get into corners where the colours match. They blend in a bit when the olis are not quite dry, and the tips of the pens don't get ruined as they would if I tried using them on not quite dry acrylics. I just completed a painting where I drew in my picture with the pens, painted it in glazes of wso with some walnut alkyd, and then went over all the fine tracery branches (which showed a bit still through the paint) over top of the oils to bring them back into focus. Only in some places did the pen bead up a tiny bit while applying it, otherwise it went on smoothly, just as it had done on the primed canvas, or when I've signed work. And when dry it is permanent. Here's the finished painting - 24"x24" canvas.

WSOs and art pens 28731_392909820994_535710994_4546587_3271037_n
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

WSOs and art pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: WSOs and art pens   WSOs and art pens EmptyWed May 12, 2010 12:22 pm

I think I like this the most of any of your paintings I have seen! I can't really tell where you used the pens and where you didn't, but I guess that's the idea of blending with the pens. I find myself really melting into relaxation while looking at your painting. Fabulous!

Dayle
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

WSOs and art pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: WSOs and art pens   WSOs and art pens EmptyWed May 12, 2010 2:48 pm

Sofie - that's wonderful! And thanks for sharing your pen tips (or should I say nibs WSOs and art pens Icon_lol). This could make for a lot less frustration for me when trying to deal with picky little details.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

WSOs and art pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: WSOs and art pens   WSOs and art pens EmptyWed May 12, 2010 8:36 pm

Sofie, I love it! The contrast is wonderful and the colors are great! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

WSOs and art pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: WSOs and art pens   WSOs and art pens EmptyWed May 12, 2010 8:43 pm

Thanks everyone Smile

I took that pic indoors, but in a room with lots of windows and natural light. I need to take a proper pic outdoors but it's in a show right now. That's the bonus of using the alkyd - the thin glazes dry so quickly.

In the process, it was nice to be able to paint in the background over the tiny branches, so it had a natural flow, and then be able to still see them clearly enough to redraw them with the pens.

I don't think the pens would work in a painting with oils used thick from the tube, though.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

WSOs and art pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: WSOs and art pens   WSOs and art pens EmptyThu May 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Sofie, good luck with the show. good luck
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

WSOs and art pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: WSOs and art pens   WSOs and art pens EmptyThu May 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Sofie,
I love the clouds and sky showing through those wonderful tree branches. It feels so peaceful. The pen idea is great for signing. I've used them on dry acrylics and watercolors, but never thought they would work over the WSO. I'll have to give that a try. I never could figure out howpeople sign so neatly with a brush.

BTW... Hi from eastern South Carolina. I left the ocean behind for the tall pine trees.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WSOs and art pens Empty
PostSubject: Re: WSOs and art pens   WSOs and art pens Empty

Back to top Go down

WSOs and art pens
Page 1 of 1