Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils

Go down 
+8
DesertRambler
judyfilarecki
susanms
mes2370
dlspinks
Sofie
Callie
Janet
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 7:27 pm

I only have one that pealed, but I don't have a clue what brand it is....the name is pealed off... bounce I looked at all my other ones and they include artisan brand, loew corenell, arttek, princeton, grumbacher and a few odd ones. Most are synthetic, although I do use some bristle brushes. The trick to them, though, is to keep them out of water except for washing and even them, make sure you dry them thoroughly with a paper towel to get as much water out of them as possible. When used with water, they tend to get a little mushy.
Back to top Go down
DesertRambler

DesertRambler

Location Location : Northern Nevada (Reno area)

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 20, 2011 8:12 pm

The first videos I watched on how to paint with acrylics were Frank Clarke's Simply Painting series. In those, he encourages you to get in the habit of keeping your brushes - except for the nylon rigger - in the water when you are not using them, while you are painting. When you are done painting for that day, you then clean them and dry them. I know he was stressing this because acrylic will dry quickly in your brushes and ruin them, but I never knew that it could be a problem leaving them in until recently when I have been reading about WSO's and bristle brushes in water. Maybe it works OK with his style of painting because he mostly does alla prima painting in acrylics, so your brushes are really only in the water for a couple of hours at the most - usually only an hour or so.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 8:02 am

I use a mixture of different brushes. Flats, filberts, in hog bristle and synthetic.

My wife and I purchased some Royal & Langnickel series 5590 flat brushes from Jerry's ArtORama. These are very soft brushes, and handle relatively well. Several painters have recommended them. I do find that they shed hairs, though. But the softness of the bristles helps in creating soft paint blends.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 pm

I just recently started using W/N Eclipse black sable brushes. They say they are for oils for lighter applications of paint. So far I love them. They hold a good chisel edge, apply paint smoothly, do not shed and hold their shape after cleaning with soap and water and Master's cleaner.

I had tried the W/N synthetic brushes specifically made for WS oils and they were terrible. They quickly lost their shape after just a few uses. I've decided to totally stay away from synthetics and stick with the sables and bristle brushes. With the bristle brushes I just make sure to not soak them in water. I actually do not put them in water at all except for final cleanup and then I blot them very well.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:39 am

This topic is very interesting to me since I received my paints before having any brushes for them. We're rural and I went to Hobby Lobby to get something to use until I knew how the paints would work for me.

I bought a canister of 12 synthetic bristle brushes (The Fine Touch brand) with flats, rounds, filbert and fan and they're ok. They were cheap and work pretty well. However, I also bought one Liquitex "Free Style" filbert that I really like. It was about the cost of the whole canister of brushes but I think I'll get more of them, especially if I have a Hobby Lobby coupon.

Has anyone else tried these Liquitex brushes? If so, what did you think of them?
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 8:19 pm

I did buy small acrylic Liquitex brushes: "Free-Style Large Scale Brushes paddle"... those short stubby brushes. They work really well. We purchased the 1", 2" and 3" sizes.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks Alan, I saw those paddles and wondered how they'd work. I appreciate the feedback.
Back to top Go down
roxweb

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 8:07 am

Hello all. Still new here but thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on this topic.

For oils and ws oils, I actually clean up with vegetable oil. I have a Silicoil cleaning jar (basically just a glass jar with a metal coil at the bottom) filled with vegetable oil that I use to clean brushes while painting and after. In fact I've found that cleaning my palette is MUCH easier with vegetable oil than soap and water for my ws oils, and no smell! At the end of a painting session I use a Lowell Cornell hand and brush cleaner to get them extra squeaky clean.

The oil does discolor but the setiment hovers at the bottom of the jar, and I rarely have any extra color issues after cleaning with the oil and wiping with a cloth or paper towel. After several sessions if the oil looks to be getting extra dirty or I have more color being left on my brush I simply dump it into a bigger container that I keep in the garage for disposal later.

For brushes I love my Liquitex Freestyle brushes. They're not very expensive, but the hairs are very soft yet responsive, and they wash up nicely! I've had far more expensive ones that have not held up nearly as well as these. My oldest ones are nearly a year old now and hardly shows any wear.

Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Thanks for the information. I'd heard that you could clean up with plain ole vegetable oil so nice to have that confirmed.

As for the Freestyle brushes, I just have one but find myself using it almost exclusively or as much as possible. Gonna have to get more of them!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Thanks for the info on using the vegetable oil for clean up. Is there any particular one you prefer?
Judy
Back to top Go down
roxweb

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Judy I just use a generic brand LOL Seems to work okay for me. I also heard you can use baby oil, but I've never tried that.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 8:20 pm

Some people mentioned that they felt they got a buildup from baby oil, but other really liked it.
Back to top Go down
mpernack

mpernack

Location Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 7:18 am

I tend to like Brushes from DaVinci

I have a whole bunch of Kolinski Sable Brushes (mine say Daniel Smith on them but I know for a fact that DaVinci makes them for them)

I also really love the DaVinci TopAcryl brushes, they have a great spring, stiffness and load capacity.

If I want something softer and not natural hair I use Daniel Smith Faux Mongoose brushes (these are not made by DaVinci).

I have been wanting to use the New Princeton Catalyst polytip brushes. They look and sound awesome. They are Synthetics so they do not get limp and soggy, and they have flagged ends to mimic the flagged ends found on Bristle brushes to increase their paint loads. They are also super stiff. Stiffer than any bristle brush I have ever seen.  I need to get some I just havn't yet.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks for the information! I've heard of the Princeton Catalyst Polytip brushes and have also wanted to try them. They seem to get a lot of rave reviews. If you get any before I do, please let us know how you like them.

I also heard that the Silver Brush Ruby Satin brushes are very good with the wso's but haven't tried them either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils   What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What brushes do you find work well with your Water Soluble Oils
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2