Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Roman centurion in battle gear

Go down 
+2
Dale
Linus
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 7:04 pm

It's looking good. I'm glad you were finally able to post some pictures. I'm curious to see if the masking fluid works as well with the WS oils as it does with watercolors and acrylics. I don't see why not, I've never really tried it with the oils.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Judy, the masking fluid works, I have already tried it on another piece I haven't posted yet. It is still drying. It worked perfectly.
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 12:51 am

Finally got the grass the way I wanted. The Steppe grasses are really hard to represent. Now I have to let the painting dry for two weeks at least before I can do the three main elements. I'll have a picture posted some time next week.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 10:31 am

I never woukd have thought to use masking fluid with ws oils - thanks for sharing that, Linus. Now I'll have to experiment with that Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 Icon_lol

I'm wondering what inspired this; is Roman history of particular interest to you? Do you plan on painting some other historical scenes? I love the attention to detail - the sword, saddle, even being able to name the location. Very interesting! Looking forward to seeing the finished painting and whatever surprises you have in store for us! Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 12:10 pm

The inspiration is part of the secret and I won't reveal that until I have posted the finished product. It's fun. What about the hands and feet - I slaved over those.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 20, 2010 1:39 pm

Thanks for the info on the masking fluid. It will definitely come in handy.

The feet are great. I'm not sure about the right hand. It is difficult to tell with the mask on it. Do I see three or 4 fingers around the front of the cup?

I mention this because Janet once painted 6 fingers and never noticed it until the painting was all done and someone mentioned it to her. I think she posted it in the Down the Drain forum.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 2:51 pm

Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 R1-10a10

Here is the partially finished painting of my warrior. I painted the warrior, horse and tack lightly in acrylic and covered in masking fluid then did the scene in W/S oils. The work has to dry now, then I will peal off the masking fluid, and paint these elements.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 3:27 pm

Linus, Looking good! Looks like a lot of work with a lot of detail. I'm looking forward to your next update. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 22, 2010 4:07 pm

It is looking good. I can't wait to see how it is without the mask. I'm assuming the figures will stand out really well against the background. I can see where you said the grasses are difficult to portray.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 9:21 pm

The painting is basically finished. I'm tinkering now. Hope another week or two will get the job done.
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 12:22 pm

All finished. I need a sunlit day so I can photograph it. Should have it posted by the 5th or 6th.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 2:19 pm

Linus, I'll be watching your upload. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished painting. Smile
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 8:45 pm

http://www.edwardreinhart.com
The completed work is posted under " Completed Works " and on my web site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roman centurion in battle gear   Roman centurion in battle gear - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Roman centurion in battle gear
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2