Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Fruity Still-Life

Go down 
+3
Dale
judyfilarecki
Callie
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 2:14 pm

I posted this in the works in progress - but got busy with other paintings and haven't made any progress since the last post over there.Fruity Still-Life Icon_lol So, before I get back to it again, I thought I'd put it up here and see what you all think.

I haven't finished the grapes or the glass - that's what I'll get back to next. But I'm wondering about the background cloth (red and green). I tend to overwork things, and I'm wondering if I should just leave this alone - or work on it some more? What about the other fruits and the bowl?

Fruity Still-Life 4-addi10
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Right now everything feels comfortably finished. If you do more detail on the grrapes and glass, then I think you have to do more detail on the rest of the fruit. Judy
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 10:02 pm

I just watched a video that will change how I paint. It is called The Spotlight Effect and you can watch it here http://www.livepaintinglessons.com/freelesson/spotlighteffect.php

Richard Robinson has several lessons that take a good painting to a great painting. In the case of your painting, I wonder what the effect would be to glaze some burnt umber over the green cloth and drawing your eyes to the lighter area that you want to emphasize.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 10:03 pm

Just a suggestion. Maybe just a hint of the red that is in the red cloth in the green cloth.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 10:21 pm

By the way, I forgot to say that I love the reflected light on the fruit and your bowl looks great.

And I know how much patience it takes to paint grapes. Congrats.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 11:42 pm

It doesn't show too well in the photo, but I put a red glaze over the grapes (they were too blue), so I need to go back and replace the highlights on them. I think some brnt. umber glazing over the background cloth is a very good idea - thanks, Dale. The shadows in the green cloth are aliz. crimson, olive and brnt.umber. Maybe a little crimson in the glaze where it goes over the lighter areas.... I'll have a look at that video in a few minutes - when I get done checking out the forum.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to have a look and and offer some advice! And if anyone else wants to weigh in - please do! Fruity Still-Life Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptySun Feb 14, 2010 3:12 am

CALLIE
As usual I hesitate. Cos your painting is very good.
The cloths are a support act to the main event and therefore must remain muted. Just one observation the reddish cloth in the background could link slightly more with the same cloth in the foreground. The fruit is all definitely edible. Grapes, at least the ones I buy are reflective and as you say you are going to replace the highlights. And these I believe should have the same value as the highlights on the pomegranates.
Please don't touch the plate it is fantastic.
Still life is not my forte but this painting impresses me.
Jack
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptyFri Feb 19, 2010 12:14 am

Thank you for your comments, Jack!
I think I have a plan of attack now - just need to find time to slap some paint around Fruity Still-Life Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 5:47 pm

I'd love to see a darker value and stronger chroma in the pomegranate in front of the plate. The value in the grapes are good, but I'd strengthen the pomegranates, so that the cloth doesn't overpower them and absorb them in a competition. Very nice work, otherwise! Fruity Still-Life Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptyFri Mar 12, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks for your input, Susanns! Fruity Still-Life Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Jim
Jim

Location Location : Cody, Wyoming

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life EmptyMon May 24, 2010 12:50 pm

Hi Callie;

I too love the bowl and agree with the idea that adding detail in one area may require more detail in others. Please put up an image of the completed painting when you get a chance. I don't think you've got much left to do!

Dale; I looked at the Spotlight Effect video and think it does a good job of getting the point across in a very short time. However, I must admit I was very turned off by the computer blurring example and almost didn't watch the rest of the video Fruity Still-Life Icon_smile!

I guess I would call Callie's use of the bowl a "halo effect", rather than a spotlight. Looking at the painting again, I agree about a tad more work on the red (pomegranate?) in front of the plate, but not necessarily on the one to the left. As to the grapes, maybe a little stronger highlights towards the top of the bunch of grapes in front of the plate?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fruity Still-Life Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruity Still-Life   Fruity Still-Life Empty

Back to top Go down

Fruity Still-Life
Page 1 of 1