Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Orchid - would love some advice

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Orchid - would love some advice Empty
PostSubject: Orchid - would love some advice   Orchid - would love some advice EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 8:46 pm

Orchid - would love some advice Orchid11
16 x 20 on Canvas Board
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Orchid - would love some advice   Orchid - would love some advice EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 9:52 pm

I love the top part of the painting and the general overall feel of it. I love the wall too. I love the sense of space you've created. I think the weak area is the pot, shelf and maybe the leaves. I don't get the sense that this pot was thrown on a wheel. Check it's structure particularly at it's base. Some things have to be drawn real accurate (like pots) unless everything is inaccurate. Everything has to exist in the world you're creating. Flower good, leaves good - pot not quite there yet. The pot color is great but the value is a bit too laid back - too dull. I don't mean create a circus down there but give the pot a little more life. Also it seems there should be some shadow on the wall near the leaves. I would like to see the shelf not so streaky. Try to get away from painting your brush strokes in the direction every object goes in. About the light: (generally) when you have a cool light which you have here, you get warm shadows and visa versa. I'd like to see more warms in this painting, It's a little too cold.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Orchid - would love some advice   Orchid - would love some advice EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 9:59 pm

100 thanks you's Tommy. I basically like this painting but can definately see how your comments help.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Orchid - would love some advice   Orchid - would love some advice EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Dale just use what works for you. As you know all crits are mere considerations for the one critiqued. The painting has a lovely gentle quality to it and I'd hate to see that get lost.
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Orchid - would love some advice   Orchid - would love some advice EmptyWed Feb 03, 2010 10:10 pm

The flowers are rendered beautifully. I agree with Tommy about the pot and the shelf and the shadows. The composition is very Zen - I love it's tranquility.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Orchid - would love some advice   Orchid - would love some advice EmptyThu Feb 04, 2010 8:11 am

They're lovely! Very soft and delicate. I agree the background and shelf look a little too cool to me and should be warmed. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orchid - would love some advice   Orchid - would love some advice Empty

Back to top Go down

Orchid - would love some advice
Page 1 of 1