Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Shannen's New Dress

Go down 
+2
Dale
Janet
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Shannen's New Dress Empty
PostSubject: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 1:32 am

Shannen's New Dress Dsc_4713
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 1:38 am

This painting had been sitting at my gallery for almost year I think. Anyway I left the gallery and got my painting back. Size is about 23 x 15 in. I painted a grisaille initially on the figure before adding color.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 1:45 am

Not generally my style of frame ( I love deco frames) but this seemed to work with the subject so I went with it.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 2:00 am

cheers Wow your painting is fantastic! Very realistic! The detail on her dress and fabric is amazing.

I think you're rite about the frame it does suit the subject very well.

I was thinking of using Ivory Black and Titanium White for my next underpainting. What colors did you use for the underpainting?
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:45 am

Tommy, I love this. And the expression on her face is priceless
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:59 am

Janet I used titanium white and raw umber for the underpainting. Be careful though. Titanium white isn't recommended for underpainting because it has the slower drying safflower oil. My top layer is so thin I didn't think it would be a problem and I was sure to add T-white in the colors I applied over the underpainting. I also bought a bottle of safflower oil to add to my upper layers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:03 am

Hayday: I loved it too. Not your standard expression but for me there's a lot of content there. It was a challenge to capture.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:18 am

That is stunning! The flesh tones, hair... wow!
And I thought too, it's nice to see a frame that looks like it was actually chosen for the painting (I used to do framing). Perfect! Shannen's New Dress Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Tommy, This might sound amateurish, but I use pre-mixed acrylic bottles of paints in about 5 levels of light to dark to create an underpainting. I haven't had any issues with it as yet. Do you see any potential problems?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Oil over thick acrylic could be problematic. Keep your acrylic thin(ish) then there's no problem with adhesion. I use acrylic washes when I use acrylic under painting.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:49 pm

Good idea to use the Safflower Oil for the top layers that would help with the fact that the Titanium White has slow drying Safflower Oil in it. I thought you might have deviated from the Raw Umber underpainting on this one. Thank you for the info and tip! Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Janet, the bg was done with a mixture of burnt sienna and umber. Something like that - but the flesh was done in raw umber and white. Then I added color over.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 4:11 pm

Shannen's New Dress 58873-10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 4:12 pm

Shannen's New Dress 58873-11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Shannen's New Dress Attach19 Shannen's New Dress Attach20
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Thanks for showing your under-painting and layers.Shannen's New Dress 120968
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:36 pm

Tommy, Thank you so much for sharing the step by step of your painting! Smile
Back to top Go down
Dawn

Dawn

Location Location : Uniontown Mo

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 6:57 pm

Oh I just love this, I love the dress its just wonderful.

I agree on the frame its just perfect for the painting !
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 7:51 pm

I enjoyed seeing all the steps in your painting - very methodical and meticulous work, but the little girl comes alive! Lovely.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:12 pm

Tommy,
You have captured such a beautiful and intriguing expression on this child. I'm curious as to whether you know the child well, or if this was a painting of a child you did not know.

I always find that when I do a portrait, it always comes out better when I know the intricate expressions of the person from long term exposure to that person. I don't do as well with a stranger.

The frame couldn't be more suited for the painting. The whole thing is beautiful.

Judy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 12:42 am

You guys are great thanks a lot. Smile

Judy, she's my granddaughter by marriage and boy do I know her. She's my favorite little monkey in all the world. We play a lot when she visits on the occasional weekend - so much so that I have to push her out of my studio to get any work done. I'm planning some more paintings of her. Modeling fees are a couple of cookies and a hug.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 8:38 am

Tommy wrote:
Modeling fees are a couple of cookies and a hug.

Awww too cute. Smile

I'm looking forward to seeing more paintings of your granddaughter. I've heard that children don't do very well at standing still for a lengthy amount of time. Do you use photos as well?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 12:01 pm

Janet: Yeah kids are jumping beans so you have to work fast photographing them. I can't imagine not using photography for children's portraits unless they're asleep. But it's very handy having your model around when painting.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress EmptyTue Jan 26, 2010 12:26 pm

She is definitely a beauty and one to be proud of. I can't wait to see more. My grandson is good about having pictures taken, but my granddaughter is always a challenge.

I look forward to more of paintings of ypu granddaughter.

judy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shannen's New Dress   Shannen's New Dress Empty

Back to top Go down

Shannen's New Dress
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: WSO Galleries :: Completed WSO Paintings-
Jump to: