Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene Empty
PostSubject: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 2:43 pm

The Art History Mystery Challenge

Welcome to our totally disorganised art museum! The challenge is to help us identify all the masterworks in our virtual museum. We'll post a painting to get you started. Can you name the artist?

Clues to the artist's identity will be added every 24 hours until we have a winner, then the next painting in our collection will be posted. Feel free to use any resources at your disposal to help in your search. Challenge winners will receive a shiny award badge that we will add below their profile image. You will retain this award until someone else wins the award.

The AHM Challenge is open to all forum members, not just ws oil painters, so join in and have some fun with us!

If you would like to host a AHM Challenge painting; please send a PM to the Challenge Moderator Callie to receive instructions and notice when to post your painting. Be prepared to check in frequently while hosting a challenge!

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene Ahm_no12

Last edited by Janet on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 9:03 pm

Have you got another one ready to go? I think this one is going to go fast!The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene 615970
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Callie, I can't beleive it! You know this one too? My art history knowledge is more ancient art. I wouldn't have guessed this one without some clues. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyMon Jan 18, 2010 9:42 pm

Unfair advantage - I saw an exhibition at the art museum here a few years ago that included several of this artist's works.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:05 am

The first clue is that this artist was born in 1801. Smile
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 8:49 am

For the next challenge we'll be going with one clue and one piece of the painting. Thank you David for the suggestion! Smile

Last edited by Janet on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:15 am

I'D LIKE TO JOIN IN BUT THE FELLOW TEEING OFF IN THE TOP LEFT HAND CORNER HAS ME COMPLETELY BAFFLED.
Embarassed
JACK
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 8:23 am

Hi Jack! Not quite sure what he's doing. It does look like he's teeing off. Unusual spot for a golfer. Laughing Maybe another clue will help. Smile

The clue for today is that this artist died in 1848.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 9:51 am

I think he's aiming a spear at something -
Or Jack's right and this is an early version of a country club The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 1:30 pm

OK. I have it but I am not saying because I got the first one
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:39 pm

Hi Dale! That's very considerate of you. It's ok to hold onto the title. They're will be plenty of AHM challenges and the members can have some fun trying to scoop it from you. lol!
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Thomas Cole The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene 5191
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 4:03 pm

A little about Thomas Cole
The Voyage of Life series, painted by Thomas Cole in 1840, is a series of paintings that represent an allegory of the four stages of human life: childhood, youth, manhood, and old age. The paintings follow a voyager who travels in a boat on a river through the mid-1800s American wilderness. In each painting, accompanied by a guardian angel, the voyager rides the boat on the River of Life. The landscape, corresponding to the seasons of the year, plays a major role in telling the story. In each picture, the boat's direction of travel is reversed from the previous picture. In childhood, the infant glides from a dark cave into a rich, green landscape. As a youth, the boy takes control of the boat and aims for a shining castle in the sky. In manhood, the adult relies on prayer and religious faith to sustain him through rough waters and a threatening landscape. Finally, the man becomes old and the angel guides him to heaven across the waters of eternity.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 4:04 pm

The Wild Scene is the name of the painting.
and from Wikipedia

Thomas Cole is regarded as the founder of the Hudson River School, an American art movement that flourished in the mid-19th century and was concerned with the realistic and detailed portrayal of nature but with a strong influence from Romanticism. This group of American landscape painters worked between about 1825 and 1870 and shared a sense of national pride as well as an interest in celebrating the unique natural beauty found in the United States. The wild, untamed nature found in America was viewed as its special character; Europe had ancient ruins, but America had the uncharted wilderness. As Cole's friend William Cullen Bryant sermonized in verse, so Cole sermonized in paint. Both men saw nature as God's work and as a refuge from the ugly materialism of cities. Cole clearly intended the Voyage of Life to be a didactic, moralizing series of paintings using the landscape as an allegory for religious faith.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:22 pm

This was the exhibition I mentioned above:

Nature and the Nation: Hudson River School Landscape Painting from the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art
http://www.slam.org/index.aspx?id=123&exh=16

It was a real treat to see these up close rather than in print. Some of the paintings are enormous!

Congrats, Dale! The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene Icon_king
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm

cheers Dale, Congratulations you've successfully solved the mystery! Thank you for the information on the artist and the title of the painting! Smile

The title of the painting is something that will be required as part of our next challenge and as mentioned above we'll be going with pieces of the painting and one clue.

This thread will remain open until tomorrow morning when the new challenge will be posted. Feel free to discuss this artist and add further links or information on this artist and/or this painting.

I found this site on Thomas Cole that I found really interesting: http://www.explorethomascole.org/

Callie, I think you're rite regarding the spear but it certainly would make an interesting country club. Shocked Lucky you to have been able to see his paintings in person. Do you find the photograph does the painting justice?
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:57 pm

The photos just don't do it. What I found really interesting was the amount of detail in most of the paintings. Even the really large ones (around 8ft x 12ft) had a lot of tiny brushstrokes - like individual leaves on foreground plants and trees - yet they don't look fiddly or over done.

It was also nice to see some of the smaller paintings and drawings done on location to be used for references. They really are complete works, every bit as detailed/finished as the larger paintings.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 7:10 pm

My goodness Janet. I think I could study those paintings in detail for hours - it is a wonderful site and such a great qay of exploring his technique and colours. Thanks for sharing
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:48 pm

Callie, Thank you for sharing your experience! He must of had a lot of patience to put that much detail in such a large painting.

Dale, I'm glad you enjoyed the site. Everywhere I looked on that site I was finding new and interesting facts.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene   The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene Empty

Back to top Go down

The Art History Mystery Challenge No. 2 Thomas Cole - The Wild Scene
Page 1 of 1