Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Favourite oil art books

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kopo

kopo

Location Location : Cromer, Norfolk, England

Favourite oil art books Empty
PostSubject: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 10:29 am

The post on Richard Schmids book caused me to examine my hoard of art books, most of which will go to charity shops. But I went through them to find out which have been my favourite oil books and most used.
The ones I will definitely keep are:-
How to paint like the old masters by Joseph Sheppard
Problem solving for oil painters by Gregg Kreutz
Romantic oil painting made easy by Robert Hagan
Many other books have only been opened once, but these three have been brought out time and time again.
What favourites oily books have other members got?
Favourite oil art books Icon_bounce Jack
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 11:18 am

Jack, Two of my favorites are ones that you've already mentioned:

How to paint like the old masters by Joseph Sheppard
Romantic oil painting made easy by Robert Hagan

I don't have the Problem solving for oil painters by Gregg Kreutz but I'll look it up.

The other books that I pull out often are:

Portraits from Life in 29 steps by John Howard Sanden and Elizabeth Sanden
Painting Beautiful Skin Tones with Color & Light by Chris Saper (Note not strictly oils but great info all around)
Mastering Color The essentials of color illustrated with oil by Vicki McMurry

The two that I pull out the most would be the Romantic Oil Painting made easy and the Portraits from Life in 29 steps.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 pm

I don't have many how-to books, more coffee-table books about individual artists, also a lot of art history books. The ones that I keep handy are:

- Techniques of the Great Masters of Art (Chartwell Books, Inc)
- Art - A New History (Paul Johnson)
- One Thousand Years of Painting (Stefano Zuffi)
- The Encyclopedia of Oil Painting Techniques (Jeremy Galton)

The great masters' techniques is quite useful; each artist has a brief bio and description, a featured painting with close up views to see texture, brushstrokes..., and a list of typical colors used by the artist.

The oil painting encyclopedia is like 2 books in one. The first half is illustrated examples of techniques listed alphabetically, the second half is organised by subject; portrait, still life, skies....with various artists' works shown to illustrate each subject.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Returning to my original post. I recall one of the first oils I completed was from joseph Sheppard's book. I tried to follow the technique of Vermeer in painting a young girl wearing a wide brimmed hat.
If I can find the painting I'll post it. I think it introduced me to the subject of presentation. To me Vermeer's presentation gave tremendous impact.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Callie, I have a whole truckload of books on history and art history. Most of the ones you mentioned I don't have... yet. Hmmm more books I'm going to have to look those up. I started adding my books to the google books library because I have a tendency to forget what books I have. I just started today so this is just a drop in the bucket. Jack has inspired me to get organized with my books.

Here's the link:
http://books.google.com/books?uid=16174267486671998903

Just tought someone else might find this feature useful. I'm going to bookmark it on my iPhone so next time I'm in a book store and I can't remember if I have the book already I can look it up.

Jack, I'd love to see your painting. I hope you're able to locate it. I bought the book when I was working in acrylics and used his technique on one of my paintings. Here's the step by step of the one I did. Excuse the nose I kinda messed up.

Favourite oil art books 492626751_a10ad6db52_mFavourite oil art books 492626757_84f68a86d7_mFavourite oil art books 492626777_c00f4f5982_mFavourite oil art books 492627327_d218602adc_mFavourite oil art books 490424260_e997193d39_m
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptyFri Jan 08, 2010 7:19 pm

Vermeer is one of my very favorite artists. I hope you find your painting Jack.
Janet - that looks like a good technique for one of your black-gessoed canvases.
Thanks for putting up the Google Books link. I wonder how long it would take to enter around 10,000 books... Favourite oil art books Icon_study
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 12:08 am

I was wondering about doing an underpainting on black gessoed canvas working light to dark maybe with a ivory black and burnt umber mixture. Some day I'll give it a try. So you're a book collecter as well. Books and art supplies are my two weaknesses. Smile
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 3:51 am

Found the painting all I have to do is photograph it then put it on my blog.
I'm also going to investigate the google book link
Jack
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:14 am

Favourite oil art books Girl_w10
Here she is. Bit damaged lying under other paintings. Her left hand is wrong. Too small. One thing I've learned is that the length of the hand is the same as the length of the face. Just tried it on myself. Put the heel of my palm on my chin and if I had some hair the tip of my middle finger would have met the hairline.
I recall that whilst I found the technique to be very time consuming it also gave me a great deal of satisfaction.
The background in Joseph Sheppards's article was ornamental. I went for a black background. Since then I have found that the best background is a very deep Olive, almost black.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 am

Jack, she's beautiful! Maybe their is variety in the size of hand because if I put my palm on my chin my middle finger meets my eyebrow. The hand might be a tad too small but maybe not as much as you think.
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:08 am

Janet I thought I had a lot of art books but I bow to you. I've now counted mine and I've only got between seventy and eighty. Soon to be diminished. So if you want to pop across here you can help yolurself.
Favourite oil art books Icon_cheers Jack
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 10:48 am

That's very nice, Jack. I agree about the background - I like the warm, rich darks I get when I use olive green in the mix. Maybe her hand looks small because of the angle and foreshortening? Just like Janet - my fingers reach to the tops of the eyebrows. Favourite oil art books Icon_rolleyes

I forgot all about this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Artists-Handbook-Materials-Techniques-Reference/dp/0670837016

Lots of info about mediums, pigments and safety standards.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 12:41 pm

Jack Laughing Thank you for the offer! Beleive me when I say it's tempting. I think you probably have the same number of art related books that I have. I find it difficult to part with a book. I have a whole room of books boxed up and ready to go. It's been about two years since I boxed them and they still haven't budged. bounce

I think Callie is rite regarding the foreshortening. The hand is at an angle and moving away from the viewer. The best way I find to measure when drawing is to compare to another area of the body that you know the proportions are rite. If you see on the reference that the hand is the same size as say eyebrow to chin then measure on your painting eyebrow to chin and then use that mesurement for your hand.

Callie, that looks like a good book. I checked out the preview and it does cover a lot of subjects.
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 3:22 pm

I really enjoy this subject. I had a few books from the library that were good - Schmidt's, Gruppe but the one I would love to own is landscape Painting by John F Carleson.

Vemeer is one of my favorites so I will have to look up his techniques
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 4:08 pm

Enjoy Vermeer techniqiues. I have
Jack
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 4:33 pm

Janet,

Thanks for the link to google books. Having two places, I always have a hard time keeping up with which book is here and which is there. I went through one bookcase and have 27 How-to Books in all different mediums. I still have the other bookcase to do and then the other ones from the other house will have ot wait until spring. Now all I have to do is figure how I can cde hem so I know which is where...or maybe I have to see if I can open two different library's.

All my books are How-To books since I never went to school for art and taught myself all of the different media. I was disappointed that I could only find one on WSO, although I think there is a second one. maybe in time more will be written as more of us use the medium.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 6:34 pm

Judy, one thing you could do with the librabry is add a label for each book for the location where it resides. ex. "city" library. This way you can have one library with a way to keep your books seperate for each location by choosing the label for the city library that you would like. You can take a look at my library as an example of how the labels work. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 6:59 pm

thanks Janet,
I'll check it out. It would certainly help me organize. The only problem I run into is that someplace along the way I forget to take a specific book that I think I'll need to the other house for the season. Oh well. I manage.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Judy, you could even create a label as a reminder of which books you want to bring to the other house for the season. I run into the same think have several books at our camp that is seasonal that I wish I would have brought back. Smile

Dale, I don't know a lot about Vemeer technique and would be interested in learning more as well. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 8:55 pm

This was one of my early WS oils paintings:

Favourite oil art books Port_vermeer

This was before all the books and movies about him came out. I decided to give it a try rather than getting a poster. I copied it from a very small photo in a magazine (couldn't tell what the ear ring was). I struggled with this since I was used to using trad. oils with mediums. I'm glad I stuck with the ws oils, and maybe some day I'll tackle another Vermeer.
So here's another book recommendation:
Vermeer by Erik Larsen (Master Artists Library).
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 11:12 pm

Callie, that's a great copy! I would be fun trying that one. Maybe part of a monthly challenge... hint, hint, nudge, nudge. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 11:51 pm

I think I just came up with an idea for a challenge... came to me right out of thin air... Favourite oil art books Icon_pirat
Back to top Go down
Dale

Dale

Location Location : Near Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 pm

I love the "Girl with a Pearl Earring". Unrelated, but did you watch the movie with the same name? Every scene is a painting waiting to happen. It was beautifully designed.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Callie. Gee I wonder what it could be. Laughing

Dale, I haven't seen that one but I do have Private Life of a Masterpiece - Vermeer. I can't even remember what it's about the benefits of getting older and losing my memory I can watch movies over and over again... saves money. Laughing
Back to top Go down
kopo

kopo

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books EmptySun Jan 10, 2010 5:01 pm

We must never think we are getting older. Just, progressing through life
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Favourite oil art books   Favourite oil art books Empty

Back to top Go down

Favourite oil art books
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Painting Discussions :: Talk about Art & Painting-
Jump to: