Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

studio work from a photo

Go down 
+3
Callie
Janet
acadianartist
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

studio work from a photo - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 9:35 am

Chantal, I'm waiting for your painting... did you chicken out. tease
Back to top Go down
acadianartist

Location Location : Just outside Fredericton, New Brunswick

PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 10:34 am

Hehehe, just haven't had a chance to photograph it finished yet Janet - it was a frigid experience (-16 Celcius) and my white got so thick I couldn't do anything with it anymore so all I could do was get the basic shapes, composition and values down outdoors, then I took it inside to work on it some more. Still need to add a few highlights, then I'll take a picture for you folks Wink
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 1:34 pm

I can't beleive you actually paint in that kind of weather. I just don't function in cold weather. I'd have to bundle up so much to stay warm that I wouldn't be able to move. Picture the michelin man. Laughing I'll be patient. Smile
Back to top Go down
acadianartist

PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 9:16 am

Well, if you picture the Michelin man, then you have a pretty good idea of what I look like when plein air painting in the dead of winter Wink Doesn't help that I'm short either! But my friend and I both agreed it was a very pleasant day despite the cold.

I'll have a full write-up and photo for you in the completed works forum soon. I think I finished the piece last night (more or less... is any painting really ever finished or is it just me?).
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 9:33 am

I'm vertically challenged as well... 5'1" and a half. Personaly I probably call it finished before I should. I'm too much of a chicken to go back and tweek. I've tried it on a few paintings and the results are usually pretty bad. I will be going back and overhauling that painting I put in the critique forum once I build up the courage. I have to keep reminding myself it doesn't matter if I make a mess of it. Smile
Back to top Go down
acadianartist

PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 9:56 am

Well, I've got you beat - I'm only 5 feet tall.

You're probably right in not touching up paintings after too much time has passed. I've made things worse rather than better far too many times. I now try to limit myself to touching up a painting within a week or so of having "completed" it. After that, I've learned that it is almost impossible to get the exact colour back since my palette is like a big mud pile and the combinations of colours are sometimes so complex and haphazard that they are not likely to ever occur again!

But you really do need to stop worrying about making mistakes. That's how we learn! It might help to do a few quick painting exercises once in a while to loosen up. Canvas paper is great for that, and you can work very small (4x6) if you don't want to use too much paint. My experience is that even a lot of small exercises help you when working on a bigger painting.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 05, 2010 10:54 am

Ya my overanalytic brain tends to get in the way. I agree doing the small paintings is probably what I'll need to do. I did download a bunch fo simple subjects with that aim in mind. I'm finding the canvas paper a good stress releiver. I'm not so worried about messing it up because I have plenty of it. I know you gave me tips on using canvas paper and I'll go look them up. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 1:35 am

For me it's really a moody piece - lost love, loney, broken heart stuff. It's very good but definitely has a particular feeling. One thing I'd fix is the width of the front treetrunk where it splits half way up. Too thick. My eye keeps going to it.
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2010 9:32 am

Coming along nicely. I like your work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: studio work from a photo   studio work from a photo - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

studio work from a photo
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2