Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner? Empty
PostSubject: Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner?   Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner? EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 8:56 am

Well, I was spoiled when I worked in a graphic design studio, where there was a copier/scanner that could handle 11x17 images. I found a desktop scanner for $10 at a yard sale, and also discovered free (basic) scanning software on the web. So, that worked for a year, but now the scanner is malfunctioning.
The question is, do you have a home copier/scanner, or do you take your work to a copy shop to be scanned?
(I photograph my paintings, but scan watercolours and pen and ink drawings, as they seem to be crisper that way)
Any product recommendations for a budget scanner? Should I just go to another yard sale and pick up another small tabletop model?
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner?   Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner? EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 9:00 am

Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner? 15362-canoncanoscanlide210open
This is the type of scanner I have been using... 8.5x11 area
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner?   Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner? EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 8:16 am

I used to use a similar one for years and the only computer it would work on was with XP. When I got a newer computer, I tried to get the updated driver for what ever the level was (windows something) and the company said they weren't upgrading the drivers for that scanner because it was too old. I just kept my very old little notebook computer specifically to run the scanner.

I was able to scan large originals and then stitch them together seamlessly in an old version of Photoshop. I had searched for a flat legal sized scanner (11x17) but was not successful. Most every company has combined scanners and printers and stopped making flat-beds available.

The scanner I have (actually 2 with living in two places) is by One Touch. They are a great scanner but I was very upset by the company when they would not update their drivers for all of their products. Their representatives response was "Just buy a new one!"  I still use the old ones when I need to scan, but with doing most of my art on the computer, I no longer need to scan.

Good luck with your search.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner?   Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 5:48 pm

Hey, Alan, I had the same problem as Judy as I had a really good flatbed scanner but when I got a new computer, there weren't any updated drivers for it. I guess it's the old built-in obsolescence scam to get you to buy a new one.

Instead, I bought a printer with scanner which is actually a better scanner (a Canon) but now I've had it so long, it's becoming more and more difficult to get ink for it!!!

But, it's only good for smaller works as it's very difficult to position a large art piece to scan so I can stitch it together.

Oh, that's another thing - I highly recommend Canon's stitching software as it's the best and easiest I've used to date.

Hope you find a solution - I find it easiest to take photos of the art these days and just thumb my nose at those scanner companies. If you can find another scanner at a yard sale or thrift shop, that might be your best option if you can also get the current drivers for it.

Let us know what you find!

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner?   Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner? EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 8:17 pm

Thank you both for your suggestions. I am checking a local online 'classified ad' site. My laptop PC is still running XP, so there are lots of outdated scanners available for 10 and 20 dollars. But I would rather have a bigger scanning surface than 8.5 x 11, so we'll see what shows up.. I'll let you know
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner?   Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner? Empty

Back to top Go down

Scanning your work: recommendations on a scanner?
Page 1 of 1