Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig Empty
PostSubject: Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig   Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 1:46 pm

I have people write to me about problems with highlighting at the end of the painting. With the WSO's, no matter how opaque the paint, the highlights still dull down from the influence of the color below the highlight. I've adjusted for it by laying down a small amount of titanium white as the highlight and then glazing over that. Te titanium white is very opaque so it works well.

I just came across an article that has another solution which you may be interested in if you are having the same problem. She demonstrates a painting of a still life by doing a monochromatic painting as the under painting and following it with multiple color glazes.

Here is the link to it.

http://sockii.hubpages.com/hub/creating-a-classical-still-life-oil-painting#lastcomment5068092
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig   Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig EmptyThu Jul 30, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks, Judy - very informative.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig   Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 12:19 am

You're welcome, Jan. I think the way she did it is a good idea, but I have such a hard time painting in monochromatic values. I't probably something to work on.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig   Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 6:43 am

The painting I did of the one Tiare flower was done with her method and while I like the end result, it took forever. However, I learned a lot doing it that way.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig   Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig EmptyFri Jul 31, 2015 8:55 am

I think the time factor is one of the things that bother me. I hate re-doing things no matter what they are. It almost feels like painting the same thing twice using her method. One advantage of painting digitally is that you can paint in color but then de-saturate it temporarily to see how you gray values balance.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig   Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 8:51 am

judyfilarecki wrote:
I think the time factor is one of the things that bother me. I hate re-doing things no matter what they are. It almost feels like painting the same thing twice using her method. One advantage of painting digitally is that you can paint in color but then de-saturate it temporarily to see how you gray values balance.

I so agree! I got so bored with the Tiare flower painting! The only saving grace was watching it come alive with the glazes. I have to say that I can see a difference in the paintings using that method and it is for the better. I'm just not sure how many people appreciated the time and effort in this day and age though.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig   Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 6:01 pm

Hey Jan,
I just started my August Painter's club assignments and guess what they are; still life value paintings. I can't believe I am having so much fun with them. I'll post them in the Digital Art Section.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig   Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 6:11 pm

I saw them and am excited for you!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig   Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig Empty

Back to top Go down

Highlighting Problems: Use Monochromatic Underpaintig
Page 1 of 1