Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.

Go down 
+3
dlspinks
Callie
Janet
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 10:55 am

Judy - it's looking good Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 120968

Janet - traditional glazing would be done in transparent colors so each layer helps to build up the final color. For the underpainting values, if white = 0 and black = 10, a 3 to 7 or 8 range is good. If you start too dark, you can't build up deep, rich shadow colors. The highlights/whites (opaque) come last, painted not glazed.

But you can do whatever works for you. For example; on a landscape I did, after it dried I thought the background trees were too green, too bright - so I glazed over them with ultramarine to tone them down.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 11:43 am

Hi Janet and Callie,

I'm glad you brought up the question of value. I had a feeling that I might have made the values too high so i would have trouble with the glazing. Now I'm not sure and will be anxious to see how it works.

I'm also glad you mentioned that the highlights are painted on, not glazed. I was wondering how you got such perfect highlights simply by glazing.

It is nine hours since I finished last night and I just checked to see if the painting was dry yet. It is a little too soon, but the good thing was that I could gently scrub off more paint to give the apple more variation in preparation for the glazing.

So far I really like this technique...thanks....Judy Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 1:49 pm

Just keep your highlight area thin so it will be easy to get a bright white there. I keep picking on my apple, I put a few dabs of cad. red med. on it today for some lighter/brighter red in a few areas. So don't worry if your apple seems a bit dark. After you've glazed it and have the darks in place, you can switch to some opaque colors to shape and lighten it. From that point, paint as thick or thinly as you like.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Here's the next photo. I did the glazing with the alizarin crimson. I did find that I probably didn't wait long enough for the under painting to dry, but if I didn't over work a gazed area, it went on as I wanted. I also found that I could reactivate the paint in areas such as the background where I wanted to lighted it up some.

Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 Apple210

You do have to resist going over an area such as my shadow, because the paint will lift. I'll just have to be patient and wait until tomorrow or the next day to do the next layer.

I think I'll wait now until after the holiday.

Judy santa
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 7:59 pm

Judy, your apple is looking great! I can see how glazes can give a painting depth. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 8:14 pm

The color's looking good!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Wonderful demo Callie! And good start on your apple Judy. I've never done any glazing so I'm watching all this with great interest. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 12:42 pm

Sofie,

It's really fascinating. Just when you think "How can all these browns not deaden the colors in my apple?" you put the glaze on and suddenly the apple looks real, red and delicious.

Thank you Callie.

Hey! Did anyone else notice it is snowing in the forum? Janet...Have you been playing again or is it just my eyes?

Judy santa
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Judy, I couldn't resist the snow. I saw it on another site and had to figure out how to do it. I do love to play. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Linus

PostSubject: Demo's, etc   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Well, Phillip certainly has the touch. And he lays to rest the idea that you can't really paint with WSO's(i.e. WM/s oils). I'm not into portraits but have done some in pencil. I am more interested in landscapes and pastorals. I did do a pencil portrait of myself using a mirrow. It turned out pretty good. See at www.edwardreinhart.com/ . Don't let your paints dry out.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 7:21 pm

Linus wrote:
Don't let your paints dry out.
The great thing is that the WS Oils don't dry out like acrylics.
Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 01, 2010 7:37 pm

Linus, very nice pencil sketch of yourself. Smile
Back to top Go down
kbaxterpackwood

kbaxterpackwood

Location Location : Iowa

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 1:17 am

thank you for starting this thread!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.   Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Conventional Oils painting demos translated to WSOs.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2