Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello from Australia

Go down 
+2
Crystal1
gairlochan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gairlochan

Location Location : Moore Park Beach, Queensland, Australia

Hello from Australia Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyTue May 05, 2015 6:42 pm

Hello all,

I've been drawing ever since I could hold a pencil, and in my late forties I'm trying to learn to paint for what must be about the fifth or sixth time. This time I'm painting in water-miscible oils, as I'm chemically injured and chemically sensitive and have to steer clear of turps on either count. I'm an Encephalitis survivor and am mostly bedridden, so when I don't feel equal to setting up the table-top easel on the bed I sometimes paint in painting simulation apps (ArtRage, Art Set Pro) on my iPad or my Mac. They're not as good as real-life painting, but on the other hand they have undo/redo, they're considerably less mess and bother and there are no brushes to clean afterwards.

As a long-time pencil artist (penciller? drawer?), I've repeatedly failed to get into the right mindset for painting, subconsciously feeling somehow that 'colouring-in is for little kids', and painting has somehow always felt like colouring-in to me. I think, however, that I've finally got over that particular psychological barrier. Better 45 years late than never.

Lachlan
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyTue May 05, 2015 9:46 pm

Welcome Gairlochan! We would love see some of your work, if you'd like to show it. I hope that painting works out a lot better for you now. See you soon.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyTue May 05, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi Gairlochan,

Welcome to the forum. Since you are a new comer, I would strongly recommend that you purchase Holbein-duo as it does not get gummy with water. Also, get the best painting surface (double-primed linen roll, which you can cut to size, while you are experimenting) and Richeson brushes. Get the best you can afford otherwise you will be frustrated.

Take Care,

Faisal
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyTue May 05, 2015 11:52 pm

Thanks for your welcome Crystal, Faisal,

I was going to post one of my iPad paintings in the digital painting section (I don't have any 'real' paintings photographed), but there was no 'upload image' icon, or indeed any icons other than a text one (for upper case or something). They are showing up here though, for some reason. I did read the instructions, so I know what kind of icon to look for. It says something somewhere about having to be a member for a week before posting an image, and I think I'm a few hours off that.

Faisal, I have a Fredrix primed canvas pad which I've been cutting bits off to use, after discovering the disadvantages of the oil painting paper pads I had been using previously. Is that the sort of thing you mean?

I'll bear in mind what you said about the Holbein paints, but as I started painting a couple of years ago, I already have Winsor & Newton paints, and have is been using their thinner and mediums to good effect.

I haven't heard of Richeson paintbrushes (maybe they don't sell them over here), but I suspect that I have far too many brushes already, having a bit of a paintbrush-buying addiction :-). I have brushes from Winsor & Newton, Daler & Rowney, Bob Ross and one other I can't remember. I recently really spoiled myself and bought one Isabey Syrus red sable, and also one Raphael Kevrin for feathering clouds and similar, which I was really struggling to do with a hog filbert. Wow, I sound like a real artist!

Despite my having started painting a couple of years ago I don't have many pictures to post because, for health reasons, there have been long periods of time when I wasn't well enough to paint, and some of the few paintings I managed to finish got lost while moving house (I think).

Most of what I still have is digital, because I'm often too unwell to cope with the whole rigmarole of setting out the easel on the bed, cutting the canvas to size, clipping it to a board, finding the paints, finding the palette, setting out the paints on the palette, putting the cat out, filling up the water container, finding the brushes, digging out the rubber gloves, opening the windows, putting the cat out again and closing the door properly this time, finding a space to sit in the middle of it all, finding I've forgotten the kitchen roll, finding my way to the kitchen in the dark (I paint at night because I feel stronger then), finding the kitchen roll, tripping over the cat, and so on and so forth, then doing it all in reverse a few hours later plus washing brushes. Oh, and finding the energy to do some painting somewhere in the middle of it all.

Regards, Lachlan
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyWed May 06, 2015 1:00 am

Hello again,

I just managed to upload a digital painting of a couple of parrots which I did a little while ago on my iPad. It's in the digital paintings section under Painting Parrots if anyone's curious.

Regards, Lachlan
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyWed May 06, 2015 4:07 pm

Welcome, Lachlan!

It sounds as if you're all prepared to paint - at least supply-wise- and I think those supplies will be fine since you're already used to them. I think Faisal was referring to the stickyness the Artisan paints get when used with water as an actual medium but WaterMixableGuy (Alan) uses them and is fine with them.

It's so nice that you've joined us and I'm off to look at your work that you posted! Hope you'll continue posting more.

Jan

PS - I just noticed that it's your birthday according to the the reminder on the home page -

Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyWed May 06, 2015 5:12 pm

Thankyou Jan,

Yes, I just turned 50 yesterday. My grandmother lived to be 103, so that puts it in perspective. She was an oil painter too, and a good one.

I'd have joined this forum a year or two ago when I started painting, but I didn't know about it, and it didn't occur to me that there would be a forum just for water-miscible oils. At the time, I thought that Winsor & Newton were the only people who made such things anyway.

I added photos of a couple of WSO paintings, the only ones I have finished that haven't been mislaid, to that section of the forum.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyThu May 07, 2015 11:00 am

Congratulations of being nearly half of the age of your grandmother and it appears that you've also inheirited her talent for painting.

This forum may be on the quiet side but there's a wealth of information here. Glad you finally found us!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyThu May 07, 2015 1:07 pm

Hi gairlochan,

It seems like you are already well on your way and Jan already explained why I like Holbein Duo. The Fredrix pads are not oil primed, instead they are acrylic primed (I think). But if you are happy with the medium and surfaces, then don't bother changing. My suggestions is only for very newbies.

Faisal
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyFri May 08, 2015 5:21 am

I'm nearly out of titanium white so I'll try Holbein Duo this time (actually, I was going to anyway, but this is just another reason to).

Lachlan
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyFri May 08, 2015 10:56 am

Hello Lachlan,

Titanium White is one color that I have noticed is the least troublesome. But play and see. Goodluck.

Faisal
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

PostSubject: Oil priming vs acrylic priming   Hello from Australia EmptySat May 09, 2015 12:42 am

ftariqtx wrote:
Hi gairlochan,

It seems like you are already well on your way and Jan already explained why I like Holbein Duo. The Fredrix pads are not oil primed, instead they are acrylic primed (I think). But if you are happy with the medium and surfaces, then don't bother changing. My suggestions is only for very newbies.

Faisal

Faisal, or anyone,

Yes they are acrylic primed. What is the difference in quality? Does oil priming give off any noticeable chemical fumes, like turpentine or anything? I'm chemically sensitive and have to be very careful. Also, what's it like to paint on as a surface, compared to acrylic primed? I've never tried oil primed canvas and I'm curious.

Regards, Lachlan
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptySat May 09, 2015 11:59 am

Hi Lachlan,

Oil primed linens take oil paint well. The brushes don't drag and the tactile feel is fantastic and it encourages you to do bold art work. Acrlyic primed surfaces for me are too absorbent and I start fighting the surface rather than concentrate on the painting.

Faisal
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptySat May 09, 2015 7:35 pm

Welcome Gairlochan,
So glad you have joined us. I haven't had a chance to look at the paintings you have posted yet, but I will shortly. To get the picture to show in your post before  you post it, click on the switch editor mode button on the far right of the menu. Then it will show instead of the words.

I look forward to seeing your work. I do almost all digital painting now with Corel Painter 2015 because of so many allergies and now that I have learned it well, I really find it great for using all of my traditional techniques without the side affects.

Hello from Australia Switch10
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptySun May 10, 2015 11:23 am

Welcome to the Forum! I will check out your paintings!
Back to top Go down
gairlochan

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyMon May 11, 2015 7:43 pm

Hello All,
I am Lachlan's husband and carer. Lachlan has suffered a set back in her health and will be unable to respond to your messages for some time.
Alan
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia EmptyTue May 12, 2015 6:02 am

Thank you for letting us know, Alan. I feel that we've made a new friend and I hate to hear that she's not feeling well. Please pass on our good wishes for a speedy recovery for her.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Australia   Hello from Australia Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Australia
Page 1 of 1