Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alkyd Oils

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 6:24 pm

I think alkyd oils are closer to traditional ones than wso's so hope I'm posting in the right place. My painting buddy brought over some of these paints the other day and I was intrigued. Thought I'd try a painting to see how I liked them.

This is alkyd oil on a 9 x 12 stone or ceramic floor tile, not sure what it's made of but it has a matte finish to it. I started on this about 8:30 or 9 this morning and finished it about 3:30. I was kind of surprised that I finished it that quickly as I'm a pretty slow painter. Mainly that's because I get interrupted a lot though.

Anyway, C & C appreciated. Painting to follow.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Alkyd Oils Owl10
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 8:05 pm

I really like this owl and the colors that you used. Did you have to do any prep to the tile? I've got to agree, it really does look like oils.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 5:16 am

Thanks, Crystal, these really are oils just like wmo's are really oils but the paint molecules are changed a small amount to behave a little differently.

I didn't have to prep this particular tile. If the tile had been very smooth and glossy, it was recommended that it be lightly sanded first so the paint would stick better. The tile I used has a matte finish with a slight texture and all I did to it was wipe it off with alcohol to make sure it didn't have any dirt or grease on it.

BTW, it feels totally dry this morning and some of my layers were a little thick! Amazing! Oh, another thing, I used Gamsol as my solvent and absolutely no smell from either the paint (also Gamblin brand) or the solvent!!!!!! I think even Judy could handle these as there's even a walnut oil medium (which I didn't try). Amazing, amazing!
Back to top Go down
JanG

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptySun Mar 15, 2015 8:25 pm

After I posted this, I noticed that I'd forgotten the highlights in the eyes so added them and they made a world of difference.

Also varnished a couple of paintings with Gamvar and they look really good with no smell from it either. It took just the teeniest bit of varnish (a small corner of a 1 inch bristle brush) to do the 12 x 12 inch painting of the two horses.

I don't think I've ever used Gamblin products but I'm impressed with them.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 6:52 pm

This looks great. I was amazed when you said it was on a tile. I figured acrylics were the only thing you could use on them unless you did some kind of acrylic clear coat ahead of time. That is what I did once when I painted with WSO on wood.

I would be afraid to try them because I used the alkyd walnut oil to speed drying one time , and the alkyd caused all kinds of havoc with my breathing. Glad you are having fun with them and have opened up a whole new opportunity for you.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 6:31 am

Thanks for commenting, Judy. Oils have always gone over just about anything - I've even painted on glass with them but the dry time makes them a bit impractical for most things.

If you've had trouble with alkyd medium then you'd probably have trouble with these too as alkyd is evidently as much a problem for you as solvents. It's too bad as they are fun.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Thanks Jan,
I didn't realize you could use oils on anything. Good to know.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 8:27 pm

Jan,

The owl looks absolutely fantastic. Please do put up the picture with the highlights in the eye. I have seen and read about Alkyd's but because they are fast drying, I have not tried them. But you have done an awesome job with it.

I have not painted in over a month, well actually I attempted to but did not complete. Hopefully soon.

Thanks

Faisal
Back to top Go down
JanG

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 6:16 am

I wondered what had happened to you and if you were painting. I go thru slumps sometimes and don't paint and sometimes life just gets in the way.

I like the alkyds a lot because they do dry faster. I only put out enough paint for a session as it dries fairly quickly. Not so fast that they're unworkable too soon like acrylics, but they do tack up after about 4 hours (my studio is the warmest room in the house though and that may have something to do with it) and I haven't found a way to save leftover paint. They give me plenty of time to blend if necessary but dry fast enough that I can layer in a timely manner. They just suit my way of working.

Anyway, here's the owl with the highlights.

Alkyd Oils Pygmyo10

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 9:41 am

Those eyes are just staring right out at me. Great job. I love the feather colors. They are much brighter in this photo. I was wondering if you added more red-oranges to the feathers or if it is just the difference in the photo.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:34 am

I think one photo was taken with my cell phone and one with my camera - the actual color is somewhere in between. Also, we've had so much gloomy weather, the top photo was probably taken during a cloudy phase.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 10:55 pm

Jan,

This is too awesome. The shine in the eye makes a giant difference. Love it!

I have been very very busy at work and too pooped out to paint. Hopefully in a few weeks will get back into painting once again.

Faisal
Back to top Go down
JanG

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 9:06 am

Thanks, Faisal,

I hope work slows down a bit for you so you can paint again. I really miss seeing your art and the art of everyone else. Hopefully, the forum will get busier soon!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 11:14 am

Hi Jan,

Yes! Another couple of weeks and then I will be painting once again.

Faisal
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptyFri May 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Wonderful painting, I love the eyes, and how the background colour and texture tie in with the subject!
Back to top Go down
JanG

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils EmptySat May 02, 2015 12:56 pm

Thanks, Alan!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alkyd Oils Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alkyd Oils   Alkyd Oils Empty

Back to top Go down

Alkyd Oils