Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Digital Chaulks and textures

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Digital Chaulks and textures Empty
PostSubject: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 9:32 pm

I've been busy with a course doing portraits with digital chalks and playing with different texture effects. This "Girl in Green" is the first assignment we had. We all had to do the same thing and then do other of our own choosing.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 9:34 pm

Girl in Green

Digital Chaulks and textures Little10
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 9:36 pm

This second on is of my grand daughter when she was about 2 years old.

Digital Chaulks and textures Marie10
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyMon Jan 26, 2015 9:38 pm

This third one is of my grandson when he was about a year old. I think I have to do something to reduce some of the texture in his hair and shirt to make balance things out.

Digital Chaulks and textures Max10
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 7:45 am

You seem to be really enjoying these courses and I'm glad you're able to take them.

The first little girl is really fabulous and I like your grandchildren too. I do feel the background is a little too busy and takes away from your granddaughter. As for your grandson - what about adding just a bit of texture to the skin instead of reducing it from his hair? His face looks as if it's been painted in a different medium than pastel.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 11:35 am

Thanks Jan,

This course is a challenge for me, not so much in using the pastels, but in balancing the textures that they want in the paintings. In traditional pastels, I usually use velour paper and blend so everything is smooth and soft. It is a hard habit to break. In the little girl in green, I did leave some paper grain in the face, but when I tried on my grandchildren, it looked like they had measles.

Like your painting of the horse, I am trying to loosen up a bit. That is what the instructor is trying to get us to do. I just can't seem to get the faces to loosen up when they are family members. I'll give your suggestion a try. One of the other student in the digital class suggested reducing some texture in the hair and shirt so the face feels more attached. I'm going to give that a a try too. The good thing with the Painter program is that I can make the changes without damaging what I've all ready done.

The backgrounds are another thing. The instructor wanted us to experiment with placing pre-composed backgrounds that she provided, and then also make ones ourselves with a variety of textures. The one in the girl in green was actually a watercolor background the instructor provided. The one behind my grand daughter was one she made using Citra-Solv on National geographic photos. The one behind my grandson was one I created using about 5 different layers of textures and colors. The only reason I chose the one behind my grand daughter was because I like the colors which I had adjusted to complement her. I think I might go back in and try to blend some of it to soften it and make it less busy.

February's class will be painting animals. Maybe I can be more flexible with them.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 12:50 pm

Max re-do. I reduced some of the texture in the hair and added paper texture to the face. The paper texture is very subtle soit may be had to see but it is there. I'll post a larger version so maybe you can see it.

Digital Chaulks and textures Max1-510
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 1:30 pm

I made a few minor changes to Marie. I felt her mouth was too small and off center so i changed that. I still liked the background but darkened it to make her face stand out more and blended out the air bubbles to put them back further.

Digital Chaulks and textures Marie_10
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Much better on both. I think painting portraits of relatives is like painting your own pets - you know them so well and have such preconceived ideas about them that it makes you want to paint your knowledge of them instead of what you actually see at the moment. Does that make sense? I've never been able to paint my horse or beloved dogs that we've had. And I certainly haven't been brave enough to attempt to paint my children or grandchildren although my one granddaughter has modeled for me and wants a painting! You're so far ahead of me in that arena plus portraits are just not something I'm quite ready to explore!

Anyway, hang in there, you're getting it!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures EmptyTue Jan 27, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks again. It helps to have outside critiques that make you take a second look, especially when you are treading outside of your comfort zone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digital Chaulks and textures   Digital Chaulks and textures Empty

Back to top Go down

Digital Chaulks and textures
Page 1 of 1