Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Keeping Callie Company

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

Keeping Callie Company Empty
PostSubject: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 7:47 pm

Keeping Callie Company 13831_211165190994_535710994_3609274_7695417_n

Last Wednesday I started this new painting of a golden rain tree from a photo I took this past summer at a nearby park. I didn't take a photo of the sketched in stage, but I drew it on the canvas with watercolour pencils. I didn't do a background underpainting. Next I went ahead and filled in most of the areas of colour, to get the tonal values in and ensure I was pleased with the composition. I'll post the next stages as I complete them.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 9:07 pm

Sofie, Thank you for sharing your progress! Your painting is looking great! How big is your painting? Doing figures that small must be a real challenge. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 9:41 pm

Thanks Janet Smile

Sorry - I knew there was something I forgot - I'm using a 14x18 canvas. I don't think I'd attempt a landscape with figures on a smaller one - as it is, this size is a bit of a stretch, but it is the only size canvas I have at the moment, aside from all the 6x8s for my daily paintings.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyWed Dec 16, 2009 11:33 pm

Sofie! Keeping Callie Company Icon_cheers
Glad to have such good company! The tree foliage is already looking very good, and the people are placed just right to make for an intriguing picture.

There's plenty of room in here if anyone else wants to jump in Keeping Callie Company Icon_bounce
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 11:07 pm

Keeping Callie Company 13831_211165205994_535710994_3609275_218756_n

Thanks Callie.

I've done a bit more work on it - put in the rest of the darks on the leaves, and the yellows on the honeylocusts in the background (the little trees) and some colour in the grass too. I'm starting to move some of the patches of sky through the leaves to acheive a more pleasing pattern.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyThu Dec 17, 2009 11:15 pm

It "feels" like a summer evening to me, with the shadows getting long and the golden light Keeping Callie Company Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyFri Dec 18, 2009 8:34 am

Looking great! I love the colors that you've added! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptySat Dec 19, 2009 3:34 am

Thanks Callie and Janet. I think it's working!
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 3:17 am

Keeping Callie Company 13831_217319010994_535710994_3631049_356842_n

This is how it looks now. I should have taken a midstage photo, but I got caught up in painting. This was my complete next session. It is pretty well done, I think. I just want to add some yellow highlights, and it'll need to be dry for that or I'll just get green. Wink Because of the incessant rain I had to take the photo indoors with a flash so there's a bit of glare on the wet oils.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 1:18 pm

It looks like it is progressing beautifully. I can't wait to see it completed.

Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 4:27 pm

Wow! Looking wonderful! I love the definition that I'm seeing in the figures now. Smile
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyMon Dec 21, 2009 5:27 pm

I like how the composition of this works. I go to the tree trunk first, follow it into the foliage, wander around the branches (moving to the left), and pop out at the area where the people are. Keeping Callie Company 120968
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyTue Dec 22, 2009 12:08 pm

Thanks so much, Judy, Janet and Callie.

I'm not going to do very much more to this. I like to keep things a bit loose, with a more spontaneous feel - if I work it too much it'll look studied.
Back to top Go down
acadianartist

Location Location : Just outside Fredericton, New Brunswick

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 11:07 pm

You've got a really interesting and distinctive style Sofie... I love that foliage! Especially how you worked that negative space back and forth between the leaves and branches. I think you're right to keep it loose and soft - one of the hardest things as a painter is to know when to stop!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Keeping Callie Company   Keeping Callie Company Empty

Back to top Go down

Keeping Callie Company
Page 1 of 1