AuthorMessage
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:12 pm

See below for the post

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:23 pm

Hello Guys,

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!

Below is a painting of a white flower in a vase. I think I have done a few in this theme already. However need to keep repeating to build my skill.

I have started testing traditional oil (TO) and I am quite surprised how nice and easy they are to use. Especially when thinning with turps/spirits. Also, I noticed that the painting surface did not matter i.e. linen and gessoed panels responded almost the same to me using TO. The painting I did below is made with both WSO and TO. If someone is new to the wet media I would strongly recommend that they go the TO route first and then the WSO. The WSO can be quite challenging for a beginner. I have figured out the WSO so i will paint in both TO and WSO going forward.

Another thing on using Clove Oil. I found out that it is also used by Jeffery Watts and he said in one of his videos that he has been using it for the past 10 years and he likes it. So if you are worried about your paints drying too fast, I would suggest this.

Size: Did it on a small piece of canvas about 10" x 7".
Time: Don't know… walked around quite a bit through out the day while doing it.

Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Yaaaay! a new painting from you and it's a flower! A gorgeous flower too and I hate to say it but that vase steals the show. Great color and form.

And a very Happy New Year to you! Hope it's filled with more of your gorgeous paintings!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:20 pm

Ah! thanks Jan… Lovely to hear from you my friend… Smile

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:50 pm

Beautiful work Faisal. I love the vase too, like Jan says, but to me, the flower still dominates, (haha). I like the richness you are able to get with the vase, for sure.
I am interested in your work with the traditional oils, and am looking forward to hearing more. What brand of paints and turps are you using?

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:31 am

watermixableguy wrote:
Beautiful work Faisal. I love the vase too, like Jan says, but to me, the flower still dominates, (haha). I like the richness you are able to get with the vase, for sure.
I am interested in your work with the traditional oils, and am looking forward to hearing more. What brand of paints and turps are you using?

Oh, yes, the rose is still the focal point - no doubt about it - but from an artistic point of view, that vase is so well done, it caught my eye & I had to comment on it.

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:55 pm

Thanks guys for the compliment… Smile

Alan,

At this point I am using the brand "Vernet" and the colors are Imidazolone Yellow, Phthalocyanine blue, Pyroll Red, Gamblin White. I got these because the people at Asel arts said that it is a good brand and they came in small trial tubes for a cheap discounted price. All the colors I mentioned came in light value so I had to use the WSO Alizarin Crimson and Burnt Umber to help me get darker value. I use Gamsol for thinning.

I am planning to order some more down the road and will let you know what I will be use moving forward.

Take Care

Faisal

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Another lovely painting with that dramatic dark background. I agree with Jan. The rose is well done and the center of attention, but I am also drawn to the vase because you always succeed in making them so real.

Happy New Year to you too.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
susanms

Location Location : Boyertown, Pa.

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:35 am

Are you following the Carder method by any chance?  Wink 
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:27 pm

No I don't. That is almost a compliment... Smile

However I did buy the Carder method and paid $200 for it and then I find out, Carder has just put the whole thing for free on his website. It is very good for learning and I would recommend it to beginners. It is fantastic and shows how your perception of colors are wrong sometimes, something even seasoned veterans can learn from. But it was just not for me, I did try it a little but it took away from the whole experience of painting and was very cumbersome and awefully slow, and doing a whole painting like that would have made me Postal... Smile . I gave up and just went to gauging values and colors free style, and as with anything, practice is a very important and now I am quite comfortable and can paint and see colors with much ease.

So the short answer is no I don't use the Carder method.

Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:20 pm

I also was curious for about Carder and ordered it, but kept falling asleep during it. It was too cumbersome. I understand color theory and value, and like to use my eye to size things up. I can't say I really learned anything new from it.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:22 pm

I use the following brushes.

Masters Touch and it is at Hobby Lobby, (there are quite a few. For example one of my brush says the following: 2 MastersTouch 800-KF Filbert). Princeton Art & Brush Co.

I use round and filbert when I want to achieve a more realistic look. I use a Flat and bright when I want to achieve a more painterly look and I paint mostly Ala prima (at least before everything dries).

Thanks.

Faisal Tariq

Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks for listing your brushes, Faisal. I picked up some of those when they had a 50% off coupon and "persuaded" (or threatened if you will - everyone groans when I mention an art shop!) family to buy my brushes for me since you can only use one coupon per visit per person. It's quite a ways for us to go so I occasionally have to resort to such tactics!

Anyway, haven't tried the brushes with the oils yet but really think they'll work well.

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:00 pm

Cool Jan, Threats are good when it comes to family and art... Smile. I forgot to mention that the Princeton Art & Brush Co. is at Asel Arts store... So now the information is complete... Smile

Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:11 pm

I checked Hobby Lobby, and those Masters Touch brushes are all 50% off this week! I'm glad I looked. I'll head over there this week.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:49 pm

Hobby Lobby has this deal going on very frequently.

If you need help or feedback with anything, let me know, I will be more than happy to help.

Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:16 am

Thank you for mentioning that they're on sale this week, Susan, as I went to check them out - and I'm glad I did as I think the ones I got were called synthetic mongoose? It says "Monarch Filbert Winsor & Newton England" so I guess they aren't the same as the ones Faisal uses. I was all set to make the trip to Hobby Lobby too!

Ooooh, the Princeton Brush Company makes those brushes that everyone is raving about (http://www.dickblick.com/products/princeton-catalyst-polytip-bristle-brushes-series-6400/). We don't have Asel Arts Stores here - if they have the Princeton Catalyst brushes, maybe you should get one to try & let us know what you think. I keep meaning to order one to try but just don't need any other art supplies right now. It would be too much for shipping to order just one brush so I'm waiting.

Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:49 am

I was going to go to Hobby Lobby and check out those Masters Touch brushes, but tell me... do they have long or short handles? Anything Winsor Newton is good, and their mongoose brushes are wonderful! I use them. They are especially nice for blending and for softness. I like them alot, but I use a firmer brush first. I like Silver, by Bristlon. They are a nice synthetic brush and really hold up!
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 am

Since I was mistaken about the brushes I bought, I don't really know about the length of the handles on the Master's Touch.

I did realize the synthetic mongoose was a softer brush than most but I like using a softer paint much of the time and thought I'd try them. They're so expensive though! I'd heard about the Silver brushes too and I'm glad you give them a good rating. Have you tried the Princeton Catalyst polytips? Would like a review from someone I can ask questions of! lol
Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:42 pm

I've been so happy with Bristlon Silver and the Winsor Newton mongoose brushes that I have not been interested in looking at other brushes, except that I would like to look into Masters Touch. I like the name  Smile  and as a Christian, I'm interested in Hobby Lobby, but I won't buy them if the handles are short, that's why I hope to find out before tomorrow because that's when I'd be going. I started out painting in traditional oils, then switched to WSOs about 6 years ago, but now I switched back to traditionals. I don't use turps. You can even use baby oil to get the paint out of your brushes (although I use walnut oil) but then I finish cleaning them with "the Masters brush cleaner". I'm fanatical about keeping them in good shape. Nice to chat.  Smile 

PS - I buy brushes at ASW (Art Supply Warehouse) or the sister company, Jerry's Artarama. I buy online. Also Cheap Joe's is good. You really get reduced prices at these. I buy my paint through them too.
Back to top Go down
JanG

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 pm

We have those companies here with a brick and mortar Jerry's store about 50-60 miles from us and Cheap Joe's is based in our NC mountains and also has a store in Charlotte. I buy from them all also but they charge some outrageous shipping and things take longer to get here than ordering from Blick (who also doesn't charge sales tax). We're off the beaten path and I usually have to order everything. The Jerry's doesn't carry as much as you would think in their store so even if I make the trip, I often can't find what I want. I try to get the bulky items there though as much as I can.

I like the Master's Touch store brand name of Hobby Lobby items too for the same reason! I also like to support them and would buy from them even if there were another art store as close (ours is about 30 miles away - we live in the boonies)

I also started out with traditional oils but my husband really hates the smell even without turps so I switched to the WSO's about a year ago. I'd tried them when they first came out and didn't like them much but find them much better now.

It sounds as if we have lots in common as I'm a brush care fanatic also. My only art lessons came from high school where the teacher insisted on good brush care and that has carried on into my adult life. I will sometimes even clean disposable brushes! That's how much influence that teacher had on me!!! Oh, and did you know that baby oil is really mineral oil with fragrance? I was told that it's better to buy the plain mineral oil as it's often cheaper and doesn't have the added stuff. I don't know though as I don't usually use it since I use the WSO's.

Now I just have to get my mojo back and get back into painting! It's really hard!

Back to top Go down
susanms

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:36 pm

Haha. I'm a cheap skate with the baby oil, as I'd only get it at a scratch and dent store or dollar store or something like that. I don't really care about it though. I know that mineral oil is not good on your skin because when absorbed it robs your body or vitamin A. Also, you can't use it as a medium because it will not dry. If I were to use it it would only be for clean-up.

I know what you mean about the outrageous shipping costs, but if the order is big enough I bite the bullet. I like ACMoore and use their coupon if I only need to pick up one thing. I get my frames that way. I used to do framing in a frame shop then had my own in home business, and though I don't do that anymore, I'm glad I can frame my own stuff. ACMoore has some nice gold frames with canvas panels. That 50% coupon sure comes in handy when I need one!

Dick Blick is good, but since I do live in PA I have to pay the sales tax.

I'd so love to have a painting buddy. I used to paint with a group before we moved. It was very motivating. Now, though, I paint on Thursdays, though I should paint more.

Oh, and I did contact Hobby Lobby and those brushes ARE long handled! Yay!! I love nice brushes!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting #75: A white rose in a vase   

Back to top Go down

Painting #75: A white rose in a vase
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1