Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Painting #73: Copying a Master #2

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

Painting #73: Copying a Master #2 Empty
PostSubject: Painting #73: Copying a Master #2   Painting #73: Copying a Master #2 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 12:38 pm

Please see below...

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #73: Copying a Master #2   Painting #73: Copying a Master #2 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Hello All,

Here is another copy of a Master: Kevin Macpherson. I took way too long… but I learnt a lot. I strongly recommend that you copy a masters work, you learn a lot from copying. It was truly a lovely thing. I have totally reduced the use of medium to nothing. After I clean my brush in water sometimes I dip it in the medium to get a light coat on the brush to keep all the hair together. For now, I am using using water and Holbein Duo and I am in heaven. Total control baby!

I took to long to copy this work… 4 hours maybe or more… on a 5"x7". As always please unleash the critique in you… Smile

(PLEASE DO NOT COPY THE WORK OF OTHER ARTISTS TO SELL, IT IS ILLEGAL AND IMMORAL).

Painting #73: Copying a Master #2 Copy_m10
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Painting #73: Copying a Master #2   Painting #73: Copying a Master #2 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 9:25 pm

Faisal, good for you for working from other painters. That's how the masters learned too.

Hard for me to say too much without seeing the original by Macpherson, but I like the way this has turned out. Nice use of colour, nothing gets too dark or heavy in this painting. Great shadows on the boats. Did you try copying his brushstrokes as well as colour and composition?
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #73: Copying a Master #2   Painting #73: Copying a Master #2 EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 11:53 pm

Hi Alan,

Thanks. I concentrated on colors only and I think the brushstroke happened automatically and it was quite close.

Offcourse Kevin's is much better. I am a poor man's Kevin Macpherson… Smile

Faisal
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Painting #73: Copying a Master #2   Painting #73: Copying a Master #2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 6:31 am

I like this one very much. So glad you're learning so much from the experience. Just a quick note though, you might want to be careful posting the copies of modern masters online as it's still considered a copyright violation if there isn't written permission even if the work isn't sold. Of course, if the work is from a lesson and you give credit to the original artist, I don't think it's a problem. The laws vary from country to country some but the basics can be found here:
http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Painting #73: Copying a Master #2   Painting #73: Copying a Master #2 EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks Jan. Wow! the world of copy right is sure weird. I actually copied it from Kevin's book with lessons etc, which I think should be fine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Painting #73: Copying a Master #2   Painting #73: Copying a Master #2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Painting #73: Copying a Master #2
Page 1 of 1