Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The new thing I am trying

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

The new thing I am trying Empty
PostSubject: The new thing I am trying   The new thing I am trying EmptyWed Nov 20, 2013 9:27 pm

Well, the new thing I am trying is to move past doing rough sketches on Canvas paper, and instead to work on canvas that I will stretch on old stretcher bars.
Rolled canvas. Take old paintings off their stretchers and put new canvas on the bars instead.
That way, the theory goes, I can paint on it, then take the practise painting off, and reuse the stretchers.

I am using preprimed 13 oz cotton, 65" wide. Should be maddening and interesting at the same time; the art store manager told me that it was better to purchase unprimed canvas and prime it myself once it is stretched; naw, I want to practise painting, not practise gessoeing Smile But it is difficult and time consuming to stretch primed canvas.

Have you done your own stretching? How did it go?
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: The new thing I am trying   The new thing I am trying EmptyFri Nov 22, 2013 10:40 pm

You are really challenging yourself this Fall with all that you are doing since the show. I've stretched some primed canvases and they stretch very well and stayed tight so I don't see any problem with you doing that. The one thing you probably know, but I'll mention it just in case, is about the wooden wedges they have to add the final tightness to the canvas. Take advantage of them. They really help.

Have fun
Judy
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: The new thing I am trying   The new thing I am trying EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 1:20 pm

Thanks for that information, Judy. I had once seen some wedges included in a prestretched canvas multipack I bought, but couldn't picture what they were for. (I know, just Google it, ha ha)
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: The new thing I am trying   The new thing I am trying EmptySat Nov 23, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Alan,

Nice going. I think doing art itself is very time consuming and challenging. You are adding another layer of challenge. Hats off to you… Smile

Faisal
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: The new thing I am trying   The new thing I am trying EmptySun Dec 01, 2013 5:07 pm

I haven't stretched/primed canvas since high school which was a very long time ago. Now I agree with you and would rather paint than do all the prep work!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: The new thing I am trying   The new thing I am trying EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Jan, we have bought the canvas and stretched a few small canvases. The hardest part so far is shooting the staples into the stretcher bars. Even with my 'dyi' home reno staple gun, it is difficult. But can't wait to paint on the new canvas... yessssss
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The new thing I am trying   The new thing I am trying Empty

Back to top Go down

The new thing I am trying
Page 1 of 1