HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Art Reception on October 4th

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Art Reception on October 4th   Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:45 pm

We held our artist reception last Friday night. Attendance was okay, perhaps could have been better if there hadn't been so many competingevents (concerts, Oktoberfest, ballet, plus another artist reception!) in the community. Ah well, it was good to hold it on a Friday night though.
We installed the 36 paintings during the afternoon, and the reception started (literally) immediately afterward; that is how close we shaved it. There was a lot of work involved in hanging the paintings.
We had mapped out a schematic, to scale, of each of the walls, so we know exactly where each piece would hang.
The exhibit runs until the end of the month, so we have our fingers crossed that there will be some interest in acquiring our work. I will let you know the results then!
(You can see photos of our exhibit on our Facebook 'Painting' page)

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:17 pm

I am wishing you all the best. Both, you and your wife's work is fantastic. Good Luck!

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:20 pm

I've been looking at your Facebook posts and the presentation of your artwork is very impressive. est of Luck over the month. It sure wold be great to have some sales after all the work you have put in.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:30 pm

Thanks Faisal and Judy!
We are suddenly quite tired, and realizing how much energy we have been putting into this show. We booked the space 2 years ago this month!!

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:16 pm

WOW. You've put in a lot of work over those 2 years. Hope you have good news by the end of the show.
Judy

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:16 pm

Hmm, pretty quiet around here, even for our own 'quiet forum' standards. I am 2 weeks in to the month long exhibition. Many nice comments in the guest book, and people seem to like the work.
It is a good feeling to be proud of how a show looks. We are taking a breather from painting, at least until the end of the month.

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Glad to here that you are getting a lot of positive feedback. It makes it worth it. Hope all goes really well for the rest of the show.

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:01 pm

Nice to hear of the good response you are getting Alan. I am very happy for you. I love your landscapes. I think whoever is purchasing your work will be enjoying your work for many many years.

I have been travelling a lot, all I am doing these days is sketching... however, I have decided to sell a piece pretty soon on DPW website to see what kind of response I get. I will let you know when I am ready with that.

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Thanks Judy and Faisal.
We were interviewed at the art opening by an arts writer for the local daily paper. That information just appeared in print on Friday, so maybe we will see more interest this week.
There are 3 more business days before we dismantle the show. So far, only one of my small paintings has sold, but the exposure has been positive, so we need to focus on that. The reality is that at least we are showing and getting our name recognized locally.

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Hi Alan,

Yes! it is important to that you get publicity and are recognized. The most important thing is that you and your wifes work is really good, and that is the MOST important thing. Just keep at it, It is a matter of building a clientele.

Good Luck My friend.

Faisal

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:19 pm

Here's something to consider;
Speaking totally hypothetically, what if a potential buyer asked you to make a tiny change to correct a 'flaw' in your painting before they would buy it? In this scenario, you would either not have noticed this flaw, or would have already decided that you were okay with it as is. In other words, it doesn't bother you, the artist. No one else has ever pointed out this 'flaw'. Would you agree to making the change or not, hypothetically speaking?

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 pm

1) Is the minor flaw,... really minor, i.e. 15-30minutes would fix it.
2) Since the painting will live in his/her house for the rest of their life,... I would make that change.. especially if it is a "flaw".
3) If at first glance no one notices it then it is not a flaw... it is almost the artists signature... we are human painting it and not camera... Infact I would cherish art that has some flaws... I would convince the buyer not to make the change and accept it as is... but if he/she insists then...
4) Frankly it is a tough one... this is very personal and you will get multitude of answers from everybody

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:58 pm

Good feedback Faisal. This question requires a painter to decide where to 'draw the line', as they say:)
Maybe we will see other responses...

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Tough one to answer. I just had to make a slight correction to one of the 5 prints I sold last week, but it was a definite technical flaw. I had left some sketch lines visible around one of the saguaros that were visible on the large print, so I just blended them in to the sky. It was a minute fix.

Anything major, I'm sure I would have noticed before. Sometimes people don't realize that fixing some small flaw may require major revisions and could just add to the problem. If you've all ready varnished the painting, then that creates a whole new problem. I wouldn't chance damaging what I have finished unless it was something really glaring. I guess you would just have to explain that to the buyer and if he was willing to take the chance let him buy it first and then try to fix it with no guarantee of the outcome.

Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:43 pm

If it was a simple fix, I'd change it, even if I didn't really agree with the buyer. If it was complicated and didn't agree with what I wanted my painting to look like, I wouldn't change it. Unfortunately, I have to say that it would also depend on the amount of money I would get for the painting.

By the way, I hope your show went well. Congratulations.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 pm

Thanks Judy and Crystal, for your opinions. As everyone, I tend to think of this one in terms of how much work is involved, and what risk does it involve.
We dismantled the show today, and trucked ("carred'?) our paintings home, trip by trip. We are chalking this show up to experience, and happy with the exposure it has given us. We are not too excited about having so many paintings home again, but that is how the game goes sometimes.

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:30 am

I think it takes a lot of exposure before people feel confident to buy paintings from unknown artists. The more people see them, the better chance you have for a sale. Best of luck to you both. You're paintings are awesome.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:27 pm

Thank you Crystal. My wife and I are continuing with painting, and looking forward to placing them in 'good homes and offices'.

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:45 am

Crystal1 wrote:
I think it takes a lot of exposure before people feel confident to buy paintings from unknown artists. The more people see them, the better chance you have for a sale. Best of luck to you both. You're paintings are awesome.
I tried several times to respond to this thread yesterday but kept deleting everything by accident! Just wanted to say that I agree with Crystal about sales - the more people hear/see your names, the more they feel they "know" you and will eventually buy your work. It's that time "until" that's the real downer!

As for fixing a perceived "flaw" in a painting, it depends on how much time and effort it would take and whether doing so will result in a definite sale. I guess I'm not too concerned about it after working on commission and having to please the customer for so many years but if it irks you to do it, you really shouldn't mess with it. I guess that's the defining factor for me. I have argued (well, let's make that "educated" instead of "argued") with clients about something I've felt strongly about and they've generally come around to my way of thinking. But I've also given in and changed some things that weren't important to me.

Now let me see if I can get this to post this time!
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:00 pm

Thank you all for your comments. I (hypothetically, ha ha) went back to the potential buyer, we looked at the work together, and I found that the area that I was willing to change was not the area that needed attention.

Instead, it was another spot that looked perfectly fine to me. It would have been a very strange thing to change (a bit of paint that stuck out of the canvas a bit, but entirely ignorable in the context of the work). So, the work is still available, and some things are not meant to be. Good experience for me in terms of 'drawing the line in the sand' for sure.

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:01 pm

Sometimes you have to stick to your guns, even at the cost of the sale. Your luck, after the change was made, he didn't like it and now you are stuck with a painting that neither of you like.

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:06 am

Paint sticking out!!!?? Really!!!… Now that is nit-picking…

I would not change such a thing…

Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:03 pm

ftariqtx wrote:
Paint sticking out!!!?? Really!!!… Now that is nit-picking…

I would not change such a thing…
I agree!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Art Reception on October 4th   

Back to top Go down

Art Reception on October 4th
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1