Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

66th Painting: Plein-Air in California

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

66th Painting: Plein-Air in California Empty
PostSubject: 66th Painting: Plein-Air in California   66th Painting: Plein-Air in California EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 3:05 pm

Please see post below.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: 66th Painting: Plein-Air in California   66th Painting: Plein-Air in California EmptySat Sep 21, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Guys,

I guess you all were expecting to see a landscape. Well, that was the intent when I packed up my Pochade box hoping to get a few hours in the evening during my business trip. It goes without saying California is blessed with beautiful scenarios, but the work hours were so long that the sun would set every day by the time I was done at work.

So I did the next best thing and that was painting in the hotel room. I got a flower vase from the dinning room of the Hotel (thanks to the hotel staff at Plaza Inn Suites) and painted this tiny 5"x7". I don't know how long it took, because I was watching TV and in a relaxed mode and guess what it was not burning hot like my Garage in Texas, so it was a nice change.

All constructive criticism are welcome! (Don't hold back).

66th Painting: Plein-Air in California Flower10

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: 66th Painting: Plein-Air in California   66th Painting: Plein-Air in California EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 9:27 pm

You're a truly dedicated when you bring your paints along on a business trip. It is a great way to relax and it looks and sounds like you did.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: 66th Painting: Plein-Air in California   66th Painting: Plein-Air in California EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 9:34 pm

Ah! Judy, I won't let you off that easy... I need your feedback... what do you think of the painting... Please be candid... Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: 66th Painting: Plein-Air in California   66th Painting: Plein-Air in California EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 1:12 pm

Later. I'm in the middle of framing and screening in my covered porch by myself, so I'm just taking a quick break before it gets to hot.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: 66th Painting: Plein-Air in California   66th Painting: Plein-Air in California EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm glad someone has time to paint! Well done on doing it on a business trip, Faisal!

First off, I love the vase and the shadows on the table are really nice. The flowers are well painted also. I don't like that they're split down the middle of the canvas though. Or that the canvas is split in the middle horizontally by the table. I think it would look better with background dropped down to below where the neck of the vase meets the bulbous part of it. As it is, that gorgeous flower on the viewer's left "kisses" the table edge and detracts from the flower.

Ordinarily, I'd be all thumbs up about the background color with the blue vase (complementary colors), but the tone or something just doesn't work for me with the flower color. I'm not sure what to suggest but I think it might look better with a much darker version of the orangish color. As a matter of fact, I was surprised not to see a dark background!

This was a no holds barred critique but even if it doesn't sound like it, I really like this and think it has a lot of possibility. I guess I just have too many art "rules" ingrained in me from an early age (& I'm old now! lol)
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: 66th Painting: Plein-Air in California   66th Painting: Plein-Air in California EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 7:23 pm

I played around with your painting a bit but I was on my small tablet so my stylus isn't quite as good as on my large computer.

I picked the light blue from the vase which you did beautifully (but I messed up the edges a bit when making some background adjustment.) I used it as a glaze to do some negative painting around the flowers to add a little darkness so the flowers pop out more from the background. I also glazed over the inner bases of the flowers to add depth to the center. I just finished a course in negative painting and really found being aware of negative space added to my paintings.

I used an oil blender brush and pulled some of the brown background down onto the table top to soften the junction between the table and wall and to also make the back edge of the table recede into the distance.

Hope some of this helps. Sorry about the edges of the vase.Embarassed

66th Painting: Plein-Air in California Flower11
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: 66th Painting: Plein-Air in California   66th Painting: Plein-Air in California EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 11:29 pm

Hello,

Jan, wow! that was absolutely fantastic. I agree 100% with everything you have said. Especially, the split of the flowers kept nagging at me as well... when I brought the painting home Smile. I love your frank feedback... This is very invaluable and I have learnt more from your critique than painting this piece.

Judy, I love what you did digitally to the art. I totally appreciate you taking your time on the tablet for the critique, I love the dark colors around the flowers that you added from the color of the vase.

What both have you suggested has sunk in really good. I love feedback like this... keeps me on my toes and that is what I want.

Thanks

Faisal

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 66th Painting: Plein-Air in California   66th Painting: Plein-Air in California Empty

Back to top Go down

66th Painting: Plein-Air in California
Page 1 of 1