HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Misty Morning Horseback Ride

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:12 am

Just finished this painting for a Summer Skies course I've been taking. I cropped off the sky, though, because I liked the focus on the horseback rider instead.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:13 am

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:49 am

Woah! very intense. There si a feeling of despair and yet a feel of defiance in the girl and the horse. Love the horse and the rider. So can you please share with us how did you draw the horse and the gal.

Faisal

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:42 pm

I found a picture of a girl on a horse. I liked the horse pose, but the girl was turn around looking at the camera. I traced an outline of the horse and then sketched in an outline of how I wanted the girl to be facing.

In traditional painting when I was doing an animal, I would frequently trace an outline rather than free hand, because it was always so difficult to do. I would then print it out in varying sizes and later trace the print of choice onto the canvas in the position I wanted. This is essentially what I did here digitally.

I filled the outline of the horse and rider with a dark gray except her head, and then started adding lighter grays to create the 3D painting of the two of them. I then glazed over different areas with a transparent color of choice. I added the tail, mane and her hair at the very end once everything else was in place.

I'm still debating if I should have something slightly darker on the left side just to add a little more balance. I hesitate, though sine I really want he focus to be on the horse and rider.

PS: I have also been a horseback rider myself for many years and have a good idea of the anatomy of the horse which helps a great deal in placing highlights.

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:52 pm

Thanks for Sharing Judy. The whole yellow atmosphere reminds me of my time in Nigeria, Africa. The sky used to turn yellow/brown due to the blowing sands (known as Harmatan). Brings back memories.

Faisal

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:01 pm

Here is the filled in outline I drew in preparation to painting it.

It funny, when I first started painting, I drew everything free hand. Birds were my first subjects and it was challenging at times to get them in just the right proportion. One day I was watching a demonstration by a watercolorist on how she paints an iris. She had several photos from different angles and started tracing them on the watercolor paper at different angles and positions. Once she had the composition how she wanted it, she started to paint. That's when I started tracing for subjects that were difficult to draw freehand because of unusual angles. It is what you do with the tracing, that makes it your art.

Hope that helps.

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:03 pm

I hoping in this painting that it is early morning mist capturing the first light of dawn. I've never been in Africa, but I've been in the dust storms in Arizona and they a re not very pretty.

Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:25 pm

I can see your passion for the subject and the Digital media. It comes through in your work and in your writing. The dust storms were not pretty or healthy, but they were Artistic and I get that feel from this painting. It is very very dramatic.

Faisal

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:42 pm

Judy, I really like this painting. I don't think it needs anything on the left, but I understand what you mean about that; the horse and rider are dramatically darker than the surroundings. Ironically, maybe you could darken the foreground grass a little to give it 'weight'....

PostSubject: Re: Misty Morning Horseback Ride   

Back to top Go down

Misty Morning Horseback Ride
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1