A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:42 pm

Hello everyone...

I have heard so much that Water in WSO is similar to Turps for Traditional. Turps evaporate really fast and therefore can be used as an underlying layer, but water will take time to dry? I have seen so many Alla Prima artists use Turps to dilute paint in their early stages. Does anyone use it in a similar way when doing Alla Prima? or know of anyone who does?

Thanks

Faisal

Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:59 pm

The way I understand it, you can use turpentine and other solvents with WMOs. The whole intention of WMOs is to get away from dangerous solvents, so you need to have good air ventilation, and you will lose the ability to clean up with soap and water. You can use water to thin Artisan WMOs or their thinner, but both of them would take longer to dry than solvents. Most of the newer brands of WMOs can be thinned with water easily, but all would take longer to dry than turpentine. Water, Artisan thinner, or turpentine will leave a less glossy finish than other mediums. From what I have heard, it binds your layers of paint together better if you use the same medium throughout all your layers. If you're just practicing with it, it shouldn't matter. Just don't paint a masterpiece with turpentine and clove oil. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:22 pm

I like your last statement Crystal... Smile

Back to top Go down
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:26 pm

I never use water to thin my paint, but I do use WMO thinner. I add a little thinner, and if I use a lot, I also add some medium too, to keep the paint from 'separating'.

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:41 am

I also use wmo thinner with a little medium as I feel it helps keep the integrity of the paint film. Plus, I don't like the way water makes the paint sticky.

Using turps with WMOs defeats the purpose of them in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:31 pm

The WMO thinner is definitely the one I prefer. I used water when I first started with W/N Artisans and hated the stickiness. I've used other brands, but I stick with the thinner.

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
mpernack

Location Location : Seattle, WA

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:13 am

Which thinners does everyone perfer and why?

I use medium and a little bit of water when I paint. I never use more than 20% water, typically I just dip my brush in water to get a little bit of water.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:09 pm

Doesn't water gum up your brush? I avoid water as much as I can.

Thanks

Faisal

Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:56 am

I use W/N thinner and am very happy with it. I don't use any water, especially with my bristle brushes because the water tends to make them "mushy."

judy-filarecki.artistwebsites.com***filarecki.com ***judyfilarecki.hubpages.com/
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:17 pm

I use Artisan Thinner whenever I would use a solvent in traditional oils. You can use a lot of thinner mixed with a little medium at the beginning of your painting, and increase the amount of medium or lower the amount of thinner to make each of your layers a little fatter. Even when water mixes okay with your WMOs, the colors will look less shiny on your painting, than when mixed with thinner, so Artisan Thinner will give a more even oil consistency throughout your painting. Some WMOs don't work well with water at all. At least that's been my experience. I use soap and water for an easy clean up though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional   

Back to top Go down

Water for WSO versus Turps for Traditional
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1