Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Janet
Janet

Location Location : North Bay, Ontario Canada

Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2009 9:28 am

Callie, I find the color system very logical and accurate for CMY. The way you can knock a photo down to 8 values is what I use the most. Then in grasycale or color mode you can just look at the portions that are value 8, 7 or 6 etc. etc. For the grascale you need to save it first in grascale at 8 values. Let us know what you think of it if you have a chance to try it out.Smile

Judy, I think Callie is rite if we know what you would like to do with it we might be able to give you some suggestions and point you in the rite direction. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sofie
Sofie

Location Location : Courtenay, BC, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 2:49 am

I just downloaded the faststone and the serif draw plus. My laptop had no such applications, and my desktop still refuses to recognise the internet, so I wanted to be able to edit my photos from my laptop instead. The faststone is new to me, but uncomplicated enough for me to use easily, and the serif draw plus is the program I have on my other computer that I use for cards and flyers and posters when I need them. Thanks so much for putting the links up. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 3:32 am

I just bought the Serif DrawPlus 3x. They had a good deal on it for $39 so I took it. It has a paint area that simulates using different paint brushes and media, some good graphics and manipulation of text and a vector drawing component. That pretty much covers what I was looking for.

I hate the text in Photoshop because it is so pixely especially if you try to rotate it at all. I wanted text that would look good in print and on the screen. I also want to be able to rotate text as if it is on thespine of a book for my e book covers.

I also want to be able to paint realistically if I want or do cartoon if I want. i have a lot to learn with the program, but i think I'll accomplish what i want.

Meanwhile, it is past midnight because I was doing some of the tutorials. better get to bed before it is tomorrow morning and I'm still playing on the computer.

Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 Sleep Good Night...Judy
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 29, 2009 9:19 am

Sofie, I find the fastone one really easy to use as well. Great programme to do some things like cropping, reasampling and playing withe color, contrast etc. quickly and easily. Smile

Judy, I'm glad you found a graphics programme that does what you want it do.
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 09, 2010 6:57 pm

Just thought I'd share this free software with you, Photo! 3D Screensaver, that is a really fun programme. Here's how it's described on the site:

"Have you ever dreamed of having your pictures exhibited on the walls of a stylish art gallery? If so, you have an amazing opportunity to see your favorite photos in an exciting environment of 3D virtual galleries."

It's really neat to see your paintings or just inspiring to put some of your favorite paintings into it.

Here's the link: http://pho.to/screensaver3d/

They have the album that I have as well but I use the screensaver the most. They also have a web album that you might find useful to create a photo gallery for your website.
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

Location Location : St. Louis, MO USA

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 4:01 pm

Just came across this free editor/painting program:

http://www.sumopaint.com/home/

Had a quick look around, it has a good assortment of tools/features (including layers).
Here's a screen shot:

Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 Sumo-e10
Back to top Go down
Janet
Janet

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:14 pm

Callie, that looks like a great program! I'm going to check it out for sure. Thank you for sharing! Smile

Last edited by Janet on Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 10:40 pm

I'm going to have to go try out the painting/drawing tools. This looks like a really nice program; similar to Paint Shop Pro (minus the $99 price tag) Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 Icon_sunny
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 24, 2010 11:54 pm

I used the trial and like it so I did buy the software. Unfortunately, I really haven't had the time to try it out, but some of the work they show is unbelievable.

judy
Back to top Go down
Callie
Callie

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 12:42 am

I figured it must be a pretty good program when I saw what people were creating with it. Every bit as good as work I've seen done with CorelDraw or Xara Extreme. Of course, there has to be some talent there, too. But better tools make it easier to express it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them   Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Software that can be used by artists and tips on how to use them
Page 1 of 1