Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels Empty
PostSubject: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyFri May 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Hello guys,

Has anyone tried the "Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels" (sold by aswexpress.com). They seem to be selling at a real good price. Since I am not selling any of my work for now, I want to stay away from the expensive "archival" RayMar and use these guys instead... I wanted to know if one of you guys have used it and if so what do you think?

Faisal
Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptySun May 19, 2013 3:07 am

What kind of backing does the linen canvas panels use? Some panels only use cardboard and bend and warp quite easily. Maybe you could order one and see what it's like.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptySun May 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks Improv, I don't know what the backing is, I browsed through cursorily and did not find anything that jumped at me. I have gone ahead and ordered a few too see (the Shipping and handling was about $8.XX... ouch!). Ouch!

Thanks

Faisal
Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyMon May 20, 2013 2:06 am

ftariqtx wrote:
Thanks Improv, I don't know what the backing is, I browsed through cursorily and did not find anything that jumped at me. I have gone ahead and ordered a few too see (the Shipping and handling was about $8.XX... ouch!). Ouch!

Thanks

Faisal

You might want to look at the reviews at Jerry's Artarama who sell the Centurion Linen Panels. At least three people mention major delamination problems with the linen separating from the backing.

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/discount-art-supplies/canvas-and-boards/canvas-panels-and-boards/centurion-deluxe-oil-primed-linen-panels.htm

You might want to do a Google search on

"centurion-deluxe-oil-primed-linen-panels" and see other reviews as well.

Good luck.

Doug
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyMon May 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi Doug,

Yes, the reviews were mostly postive that is why I asked around to find out if someone on the forum had used it. Like I said my intention is not to sell these and after using the oil primed linen canvas from RayMar, I am absolutely hooked. If the Centurion don't work out, I will go ahead and bite the bullet and order the RayMar for my initial practice as well.

Thanks a lot for your effort in responding and sending me the link.

Take Care,

Faisal
Back to top Go down
Improv

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyMon May 20, 2013 3:04 pm

ftariqtx wrote:
Hi Doug,

Yes, the reviews were mostly postive that is why I asked around to find out if someone on the forum had used it. Like I said my intention is not to sell these and after using the oil primed linen canvas from RayMar, I am absolutely hooked. If the Centurion don't work out, I will go ahead and bite the bullet and order the RayMar for my initial practice as well.

Thanks a lot for your effort in responding and sending me the link.

Take Care,

Faisal

True, if you just want cheap and cheerful to practice on, they should be ok.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyWed May 22, 2013 6:12 am

Let us know how they work - I order from Jerry's from time to time & if they're halfway decent it would be nice to know.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyWed May 22, 2013 10:13 pm

I really cannot picture myself paint on anything other than oil primed linen...
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyThu May 30, 2013 4:11 pm

I'd really like to know if they work for you. I'm too cheap to try to paint with the price of real linen canvas. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyThu May 30, 2013 5:55 pm

They have arrived,... So I will use them soon
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyFri Jun 14, 2013 10:35 pm

The Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels are pretty good, as far as practice is concerned.  I would definitely recommend them to people who are on a budget and want a good surface to practice.

Faisal
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyThu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 pm

Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels EmptyMon Sep 23, 2013 12:13 am

I take it back... Centurion Oil Primed Linen are not that good. I apologize to those who spent money on it.

Raymar panels reign supreme and I am going to use that... I know they are expensive but it is worth it. I am using the Claseens #13 single primed linen. If you are learning, you need to have the best tools and don't cut corners...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels   Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels Empty

Back to top Go down

Centurion Oil Primed Linen Canvas Panels
Page 1 of 1