Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for artists who paint with Water Soluble Oils

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Impressionist landscape

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

Location Location : Northern NY and Southern Arizona

Impressionist landscape Empty
PostSubject: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyFri Apr 12, 2013 3:44 pm

Just finished this landscape using digital oils. I'm still working toward impressionistic paintings and starting to feel more comfortable with them.

Impressionist landscape Field_10
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 am

I like the composition and colors in this.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

Location Location : New Brunswick, Atlantic Canada

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Beautiful work Judy. The sky is so watercolour, and the composition and colours are excellent.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

Location Location : Dallas, Texas

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 1:12 pm

If you hadn't said Digital,... I would have thought this was water color... I love the awesome composition... the way the flowers meandering through the meadow and leading the mountains and the sky...
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 5:45 pm

I'm glad you all like it. I made a few revisions to get more harmony such as subtle pinks in the sky and some blue flowers in the field. I also altered the values of some the evergreens to give more depth to them. I'm actually very bad with watercolors both traditionally and digitally, so this was done with digital oils. It allows blending, especially in the sky and under painting of the field, just as if I was using a paintbrush to blend.
Here's the revised version.Impressionist landscape Field_11 I'm not sure if this is finished or not.

The focal point feels blurry to me, especially the shrubs on the left side of the bright path. I know that things in the distance shouldn't be as detailed, but in the focal point they shouldn't be blurry, either. The green isn't right there, also. I'll have to try some of the burnt sienna to see if that tones them down a bit while sharpening them.

I also think I need to tone down the big clump of flowers on the left in the second row. I'm not sure if that is the problem that is bothering me, or if the flowers are too much in a row in the foreground. Any comments would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptySun Apr 14, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi Judy
I find that there is a lot of similar colour and shape in the foreground flowers. As you say, maybe tone down the second row left, that could help direct the eye into the midground.

I like the field grass a lot, (nice greena and other colours) but find the shrubs (?) or small trees in front of the hills (left of centre) to be quite yellow, maybe some blue or blue with some burnt sienna could desaturate and distance them a bit. It's coming along very nicely!
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

Location Location : Ft Worth, TX

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 9:03 am

I think it's great. I'm eager to see what you do to it, to see if it can look even better. I like the impressionist style, too. It can be difficult to get the bright colors and still keep the perspective, at least it is for me. Great job.
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 8:13 pm

I think Alan is the best man for feedback, considering the great paintings he has done. I will hold my feedback, until I complete a few landscape paintings.. Smile
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Photography Prints

Thanks Crystal, Alan and Faisal. I just finished the changes and I made a video of the process. I'll include the final picture here and I will post the video shortly.

Unfortunately the video ended up to be 25 minutes so feel free to fast forward as you want. I just thought it would be fun to let those of you who are not familiar with digital painting to see it in progress.

Last edited by judyfilarecki on Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 5:22 pm

Here is the video. I have to give you a link to my webpage to see it. Remember it is 25 minutes long so just scan through and watch what you want.

http://www.filarecki.com/video-tutorial-digital-painting.html
Back to top Go down
watermixableguy
watermixableguy

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 8:21 pm

ftariqtx wrote:
I think Alan is the best man for feedback, considering the great paintings he has done. I will hold my feedback, until I complete a few landscape paintings.. Smile
Ha, painting is so subjective, and we are all here to learn, so I say we all express our constructive opinions, and that will be pretty healthy!
Back to top Go down
ftariqtx
ftariqtx

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 9:15 pm

True... but...
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 2:21 pm

Well, like I said Impressionist is my favorite style. I have several books on it, but I'm still to basic to be able to do it yet. I watched your whole demo and I really loved it. So glad you've found a way to make beautiful paintings without horrible allergies. I had know idea how hard you've been working on it. Fantastic.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyFri Apr 26, 2013 11:38 am

Glad you saw the video. Sorry it was so long. I have since been able break it down into two segments which helps. I wish it was as easy to video tape live traditional paintings.

I have done two of them on landscapes I did. I believe they were both done with acrylics because it was easy to record them. (Drying time too long for the WSO's.) These are just short previews of the longer videos.

https://youtu.be/DpIsIdHztPo

https://youtu.be/DpIsIdHztPo
Back to top Go down
Crystal1

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptySun Apr 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks so much for these demos Judy. I just bought some Golden Acrylic to see if it would help to be able to paint faster. The first time I mixed up all of my paint colors, they were too dry to use by the time I tried to paint with them. Guess I need to get the spritzer out and use it. Thanks, again.
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 am

You're welcome, Crystal.
I use acrylics under my WSO's a lot for under painting and some background development. It definely helps get your painting done sooner.
Back to top Go down
JanG

Location Location : NC - USA

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptySat May 11, 2013 6:03 am

I didn't realize just how much I was limiting myself until I saw your video although I don't think I have some of the brushes you mentioned either. I think I need to crank up my Painter software and try to learn some more about it!
Back to top Go down
judyfilarecki
judyfilarecki

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:31 pm

HI Jan,

Many of the brushes are custom brushes I have made or are from instructors at

http://www.digitalartacademy.com/

where I've been taking a lot of courses. They are real reasonable and worth the money. That's where I learned to make my own brushes. There is definitely a lot to learn in Painter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Impressionist landscape   Impressionist landscape Empty

Back to top Go down

Impressionist landscape
Page 1 of 1